Why become a member? ×

Ric models

munkonthehill

Depends who you talk to. :)

Seriously, like any other bass, you need to try some yourself. Not just one, because it may not be representative. They vary a lot over the years; different weights, different necks, pickup type and placement, pot values etc etc. I've owned roughly 10 (?) and have played probably over a hundred. I've played some I've loved, many I've been indifferent to and some I really haven't liked at all. Of course I'm sure you could say that about any type of bass.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1071515' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:14 AM']No offence intended BTW! :) Ricks are an absolute minefield when it comes to the details and people with only a passing interest consistently get things wrong. There have been so many variations over the years but even within the "obvious" features people consistently make errors, like saying (and I've actually seen this) that 4001 basses have single truss rods and 4003 basses have twin rods; this is also completely wrong as they both have twin rods. I know a lot about Rick 4000 series basses, but there are some on Rick Resource who know 100 times what I do; it's always worth partaking of that knowledge if you have a serious interest in the subject, particularly if you're looking at buying a Rick. I've learnt so much from there. They are, however, not keen to talk about fakes. :lol:[/quote]

'sokay - no offence taken :)
Tbh, I'm more into Rick guitars than their basses. And I should know about exceptions: my 12-string seems to have a fairly unusual combination of features.

[quote name='4000' post='1071515' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:14 AM']They are, however, not keen to talk about fakes. :)[/quote]
Well - actually...

In my experience they're generally quite interested - there are a few hard-liners who take a quite alarming level of personal offence, but on the whole if you're factual & constructive about copies, they're largely quite amenable to discussion. I post fairly often on RR and they actually seem to value the knowledge I have, not just because it's useful in telling real ones from copies, but some genuine interest and even a level of (grudging) appreciation for some Fakers from certain members. There's even a (well-hidden) sub-forum devoted to copies now.

As far as general Rickenbacker info is concerned, there really is no better place, and on the topic of their favourite instruments, the RR guys are uniformly helpful, informative & very friendly.

Jon.