Why become a member? ×

Hamer Cruisebass Mod

Count Bassie

Got an '83 Cruisebass- original model- a few months ago in relatively beat condition. Still integral and playable though, and cosmetics aren't usually my first criteria for a bass. But due to my 'special ergonomic needs' and the fact that I strap the instrument up differently than most, I've opted to lose the top bout/horn, pretty radically changing the look of the thing.

Before:

After, so far:

Still considering the final line where the upper bout was, and color. I'm liking the suggestion of an SG shape here, and thinking about a deep red tone for color. Maybe a new pick guard shape, and I might even reduce the lower horn also, for balance' sake.

Any thoughts?...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1042372' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:56 AM']If this were any other bass than a Hamer, I'd be saying cool mod, the SG shape is the way to go.

But being a Hamer-phile - aaarrrgggghhhhh! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:)[/quote]

I do understand I'm not going to get 'kudos' from everyone! But it was a move based on functionality for me. I like the bass, I just 'adjusted' it... Also I have a low level of reverence for the conventional. Want a rule broken, I'm the guy. :)

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1043608' date='Dec 1 2010, 06:51 AM']that thumb rest looks frighteningly close to the e string. is it?[/quote]

Thanks for the good word, lettersguitars. The balance is great, the new shape actually effectively negates any weightiness forward of the neck joint, pretty much. It's become more 'invisible' as an item to carry around, which is interesting. I'm only playing now, not carrying. Different, but seems good. The most advantageous difference physically though is that the upper horn no longer rests into my body. That was a bother.

The thumb rest is close to the E-string but at a distance consistent with the string spacing. It's like resting your thumb on a rigid B-string, if it were a fiver. It's also close enough so that my "non-piano-player" fingers can easily cross string from that resting point!... And the little scallop in the thumb rest near the fingerboard is perfect for playing up on the neck (dub-style), the bass inclined at a sharp upward, near-vertical angle.

More pix after adjustments to the shape, and I'm still interested in hearing color suggestions...

Edited by Count Bassie

Can I get the knee-jerk out of the way, please, and then we can have some sensible comments? Good? Ok:

HOLY f*** WHAT THE f*** DID YOU DO TO THAT POOR HAMER?!

Thanks, Tim, here's your Caps Lock back.

Can you please now commit yourself to the only option left open to you, and go for Gold Sparkle? That sh*t would be boss.

I buy your comment on the thumbrest, and it's good to hear the adjustment to the shape is working out for you. Perhaps a lesson for the less daring, myself included, about being will to look at some fundamental rather than cosmetic changes.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1044402' date='Dec 1 2010, 05:07 PM']Can I get the knee-jerk out of the way, please, and then we can have some sensible comments? Good? Ok:

HOLY f*** WHAT THE f*** DID YOU DO TO THAT POOR HAMER?!

Thanks, Tim, here's your Caps Lock back.

Can you please now commit yourself to the only option left open to you, and go for Gold Sparkle? That sh*t would be boss.

I buy your comment on the thumbrest, and it's good to hear the adjustment to the shape is working out for you. Perhaps a lesson for the less daring, myself included, about being will to look at some fundamental rather than cosmetic changes.[/quote]

I'm glad we got that of our chest! :)

As far as daring and cosmetics, for me the horn is not only cosmetic, but proved a fundamental issue- and as meaningful as the thumb rest. Anyway I have considered gold sparkle, but I... dunno. That would have to be top-notch work, and it's kind of too [i]California[/i] for me. I'm not a splashy dude, and prefer red earth tones. I prefer Mountain (Leslie West) over Mot the Hoople... if you get my drift. But I appreciate where you're coming from. And the conversation isn't closed.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1043106' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:59 PM']Thanks! I'm looking at a minor further adjustment on both sides, but this is "the look". Much better for playing now. Next is getting some color on it.[/quote]
before you get spraying, i think you should get a bit more of a contour going on in the horn to match the other side, it'd look better.

Looks quite good though!

[quote name='umph' post='1044464' date='Dec 1 2010, 06:05 PM']before you get spraying, i think you should get a bit more of a contour going on in the horn to match the other side, it'd look better.

Looks quite good though![/quote]

Not the first like comment I've had on that, and I agree. I've just come back from a friend's shop where I put it to a spindle sander. I added a little more 'scoop' to the inside of the upper horn and took off a bit of the lower, from the outside of the curve; a little visual "eq", if you will.

Pix again before colors... and for the sake of immediate functionality I'll probably do a sealer coat and just leave it 'natural' for a while. Time is a thief, and I need to play the thing! Also this will give me time to get my courage screwed up for a run at a burst finish. :)

Thanks for the comments all!

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='1044664' date='Dec 2 2010, 04:05 AM']I had one of them with original case. I wonder if they'll ever be popular again? sold it to one of my best mates for 200 quid. He's doing loads of gigs with it
[/quote]

Nice colors! Well I don't know if you'll find another like this with quarter-sawn Rosewood fingerboards (I think, yes?)... It seems like it was a transitional model, replaced by the newer Cruise, which is not as sleek. The new one is too much like a Fender in my book. The older one was more its own beastie.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1044402' date='Dec 1 2010, 05:07 PM']...Perhaps a lesson for the less daring, myself included, about being will to look at some fundamental rather than cosmetic changes.[/quote]

Hey, I often post at the end of a day, when I'm tired and good and stretched-out mentally. but I just re-read this and understood that you meant the same thing I actually responded with- that the horn is a fundamental change. Yes, a little dumb of me. Just don't call me late for supper.

Anyway, before:

...and after:

Here's the final, more refined shape, undressed. Note slightly deeper curve in the upper bout, and the slightly shorter lower bout:

I'll put it back together temporarily, while I get the materials together for the actual finishing. This last photo shows the bass with 3 sanded coats of nitrocellulose primer/grain filler. This will keep the wood from getting too "beat-up" while I give it a trial run at a few gigs.

Looking at a deep, vibrant red of some shade, re-cut black pick guard.

Edited by Count Bassie

• 4 weeks later...

A little update, holidays are over...

I've shaved a tad more out of the upper bout scallop, and have decided on a color scheme. There's a local guy I've been referred to who does a lot of nitro work on furniture. We've talked it over and have decided to spray an Ivory-Blonde lacquer on it, then rub a little stain into that after it dries to get some of the wood texture into the picture. If that works out, we'll clear-coat it and then do a subtle 'dusting ' of darker, more reddish color around the edge. I'm not seeing it completely yet, I'll have to walk along with the process and decide when I'm there.

The pick guard will be clear acrylic, possibly a different shape- and lifted up above the body of the bass rather than screwed right onto it: This way the new finish will all age/discolor at the same rate. The 'guard will get an etching or something done to the back of it, and that'll be filled with the same color as the outer edge of the body (an idea anyway). I'm thinking a 'Fawn' type creature playing his flute, or maybe an angle, satyr, something mythical, sort of suggesting the influence of 'the subtler world'. Maybe even a little breast-action would be fun- like a mermaid arched on the bowsprit of a ship. The Universal Mother thing, right?... Anyway I'd like it to speak of a medieval reference, more or less.

And I need a logo for the headstock. Maybe it should be the Hamer sig, or maybe a custom one I come up with. There's another dude around who does custom decals...

Pix when we get started. I'm pretty psyched.

Edited by Count Bassie

Almost done re-shaping. It's going very slow, but hey. We "have a life" here! I'll finish today, and get the primer back on the sanded spots. Ordering a spray can of color this week, and then it's off the the furniture guy.

I think I'm going to get a little bolder with the beveled edges. I like where it's going, but it's too subtle. I know this isn't very interesting yet, but I'm just posting to keep myself enthused... and yes, the Westone thing is come forward alright. Don't mind that.

Edited by Count Bassie

• 3 weeks later...

So here's where I'm at so far... time and resources are a challenge, but really the fact that it's taking so long is fine. I'd just come up with something less than I'd like if it had been done by now! I'm waiting on lacquer, and I'm not even sure if I'm done with the shape yet. Have a look-see (pardon the laundry, etc.):

I may take a little more scoop out of the upper horn's hollow, being thoughtful to leave plenty of 'beef' by the neck joint. Those are Rotosound 'True-Bass' strings on there, which I like a lot. LaBella makes a set like it as well, which I used to have on a Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity. Great strings- I got Rotos this time because they were cheep! Got 'em through a friend on clearance.

Anyway, I'm going to play it this way for a while, see some pix of it, see how I like what I'm getting out of it for comfort, sound, etc. Thanks for having a look...

Edited by Count Bassie