Why become a member? ×

Hamer Cruisebass Mod

Count Bassie

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1106015' date='Jan 28 2011, 06:16 AM']Looking good, Bassie.

So when are we onto the lacquer?[/quote]

Thanks. I do think it looks a little "unexpected"- almost a little bit of a challenge to the mainline sensibility. The lines of the horns are sort of a surprise to look at, I find. But the language of "play it for a while" is really a way of saying "need a paycheck"... probably a couple weeks.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1106026' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:25 AM']Thanks. I do think it looks a little "unexpected"- almost a little bit of a challenge to the mainline sensibility. The lines of the horns are sort of a surprise to look at, I find. But the language of "play it for a while" is really a way of saying "need a paycheck"... probably a couple weeks.[/quote]

Hi, i have just seen this. OMG that was a Hamer Cruise? Have you got a pic of what it was like originally. Amazing!

Here's the total poop so far...

Before:

After:

Amazing?! Well, thanks. The only major difference is the horns. The upper is mostly gone, the lower has been shortened to 'match'. The rest is musing and sandpaper. I haven't had the cojones to post it on Talkbass yet... I bought it from a kid from off that site. He wanted to get it back from me shortly afterward, but had nothing that I wanted to trade for it, and no bread. I'm afraid it might bum him out! Never mind the bashing I'll get for it!

Might after it's lacquered. Then it's just plain done, and will be itself.

Edited by Count Bassie

As an aside how much are Hamer Cruises with 2 Tek selling for in the US these days?

They are like rocking horse sh*t over here - almost impossible to find. I am lucky enough to own one and it is one of the finest basses i have ever played. Truly amazing build quality. I'd buy another one in a flash if i could find one.

btw - I love your project. Its a bit mad but appealing.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1106424' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:52 AM']As an aside how much are Hamer Cruises with 2 Tek selling for in the US these days?[/quote]

At a glance they look around $500-$800 US.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1106424' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:52 AM']They are like rocking horse sh*t over here - almost impossible to find. I am lucky enough to own one and it is one of the finest basses i have ever played. Truly amazing build quality. I'd buy another one in a flash if i could find one.[/quote]

I agree that Hamer has put up some real nice work over the years. That bridge is quite a piece of hardware. Ever look in the US craigslist? Might be a longshot for shipping, etc., but it's out there. I ran into mine just by chance- and the mod idea came quite a bit later, after gigging with it a while.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1106424' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:52 AM']btw - I love your project. Its a bit mad but appealing.[/quote]

"Mad"! I can deal with that- thanks! Hope to get it finished soon...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1106929' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:55 PM']That bridge is a Schaller 3D.

Jon.[/quote]

I was referring to the Hamer 2-Tek that BottomE mentioned- quite a massive piece. But you're right, I actually emailed Schaller for a new saddle piece for my bridge a few months ago- after 30 years it's still the same! Pretty cool.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1106931' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:00 AM']I was referring to the Hamer 2-Tek that BottomE mentioned- quite a massive piece. But you're right, I actually emailed Schaller for a new saddle piece for my bridge a few months ago- after 30 years it's still the same! Pretty cool.[/quote]

Right - didn't realise you were talking about a different bridge! The 3Ds are excellent, I've currently got them on 3 basses, I really don't get the fuss about Badass & such.

Sorry for derailing the discussion - as you were! :)

Edit - just checked out 2Tek - looks like you can still get them:

[url="http://www.the2tek.com/"]http://www.the2tek.com/[/url]

Bloody hell - not what you'd want if you're looking for a lightweight bass! :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

No, not at all. That 3D was on my old Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity also, in the attractive "Black Chrome" color (I think that was Peavey's name for it). I think if I do a build this year (Fender-Bird type deal, likely) I'll be putting one of those 3Ds on it. Keep the weight down! :) I do remember playing a 2-Tek-loaded Hamer Cruise, the newer one, in a store and it was a little on the hefty side alright.

Anyway I'm all yakked-out about my bass (and dodging the occasional bullets) so I appreciate the diversion! And thanks to all for the remarks. Lacquer next...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='BottomE' post='1108213' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:17 AM']Thats insanely cheap for that quality of bass IMHO.

Good luck with the build i'll come by and check yer progress.[/quote]

It'll be at least a week away from starting lacquer, but thanks for the interest! I'll be posting the spray job...

No real news, except that I thumped on it awhile waiting for my kids to do choir practice. This is a wonderful player, I'm very happy with it. I do think it looks just a tad disarming... but I'm good with it. This is my new full-time player. Pic when something very new and different happens! Like nitro!

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1114838' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:57 AM']No real news, except that I thumped on it awhile waiting for my kids to do choir practice. This is a wonderful player, I'm very happy with it. I do think it looks just a tad disarming... but I'm good with it. This is my new full-time player. Pic when something very new and different happens! Like nitro![/quote]
They are greaaaaaaat players! I am lucky enough to own a Stingray and Jazz Bass but my Cruise comes out as often (if not more) than the others. (Don't tell them though).

I am keeping my eye on this thread Count. Cannot wait to see it in its next incarnation.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1120397' date='Feb 8 2011, 01:34 PM']They are greaaaaaaat players! I am lucky enough to own a Stingray and Jazz Bass but my Cruise comes out as often (if not more) than the others. (Don't tell them though).

I am keeping my eye on this thread Count. Cannot wait to see it in its next incarnation.[/quote]

Thanks for the enthusiastic vote of confidence! I'll post pix probably from the next outing, this weekend. Won't be nitro'd yet, as I'm in the dumps for work for the moment. But it'll be interesting (for me anyway) to see it in context.

Jonesing now for a color...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1131697' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:22 PM']I just got my job back after about 2 months, so no color yet! It's on hold, but I'm playing it in its unfinished state. Not pretty, but it's still a beaut of a player!

Patience...[/quote]
soz Count - the lust is getting the better of me...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BottomE' post='1144619' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:34 AM'](whines pathetically like a dog left out in the rain)[/quote]

There there old son, we'll git it. Hopefully getting the white lacquer this weekend, and I'll get pix up as soon as the nitro's hit the 'Hog...