Why become a member? ×

Hamer Cruisebass Mod

Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1220289' date='May 4 2011, 09:12 PM']Staying with what I've got for now, getting some Radio Shack knobs just to get it working. I need it playable... I'll move up the scale as I go along here. Pix asap![/quote]
Theres still time to cut a big hole in it and whack in a 2-Tek.

Seriously - i know its going to sound even better with the new paint job. My birthday is coming up and have asked Nicole, my wife, for soldering kit and a bass kit with rulers, gagues and truss rod things. As you might have guessed i am a complete noob at this kinda thing but you have inspired me to start tinkering. I have a mate who asked me to "take a look at his bass and sort it out" He is a guitartist and bought it (old Ibanez) for people to use in his studio. He is under the impression that i know what i am doing :) I've never even put a scratch plate on and always given jobs like PuP swaps to techs.

1 willing victim + inspiration = ?

Is it possible to die from re-wiring a bass incorrectly he mused to himself.

Can't wait to see the next set of pics when she's all tackled up.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1221437' date='May 5 2011, 02:24 PM']Theres still time to cut a big hole in it and whack in a 2-Tek.

Seriously - i know its going to sound even better with the new paint job. My birthday is coming up and have asked Nicole, my wife, for soldering kit and a bass kit with rulers, gagues and truss rod things. As you might have guessed i am a complete noob at this kinda thing but you have inspired me to start tinkering. I have a mate who asked me to "take a look at his bass and sort it out" He is a guitartist and bought it (old Ibanez) for people to use in his studio. He is under the impression that i know what i am doing :) I've never even put a scratch plate on and always given jobs like PuP swaps to techs.

1 willing victim + inspiration = ?

Is it possible to die from re-wiring a bass incorrectly he mused to himself.

Can't wait to see the next set of pics when she's all tackled up.[/quote]

Go for it! Inspiration is everything. Okay, well everything else follows! But as long as you're having a good time, it's worth doing. Glad I could be a part of forward motion- and that is what it is. One thing I have learned from my tinkering/modding/shade-tree engineering/failures: Always keep it moving forward. It's all motion towards something, and there are no mistakes.

I look forward to seeing a project! I'll post more pix when I get the pickups in. Time is a dollar bill on a shop floor...

Two almost-done pix:

Note the hole in front by the knobs. The new hold (I drilled) is where the concentric knob is for the pre. The output jack goes in the old one that remains.

My strap-button scheme. It pulls the bass to my right, bringing the headstock (aka "first position") closer so I don't have to extend my arm so far. This is the standard configuration for any of my basses now. Nerve issues...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1224159' date='May 8 2011, 03:01 PM']Two almost-done pix:

Note the hole in front by the knobs. The new hold (I drilled) is where the concentric knob is for the pre. The output jack goes in the old one that remains.

My strap-button scheme. It pulls the bass to my right, bringing the headstock (aka "first position") closer so I don't have to extend my arm so far. This is the standard configuration for any of my basses now. Nerve issues...
[/quote]
That is looking sexy Count. It looks like a really pro job. I love the way the cut of the bass makes the headstock look even more classy. They match up well. And the colour of the spray has chilled out and looks silky and gorgeous. Ooooohhhhh inspiring stuff.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1224955' date='May 9 2011, 07:01 AM']That is looking sexy Count. It looks like a really pro job. I love the way the cut of the bass makes the headstock look even more classy. They match up well. And the colour of the spray has chilled out and looks silky and gorgeous. Ooooohhhhh inspiring stuff.[/quote]

Thanks for the good words... interesting how it worked out. Now I just need a couple screws and a jack! Everything takes so long...

[quote name='BottomE' post='1232035' date='May 15 2011, 09:49 AM']Count - that is amazing! How does she sound? The colour has calmed down and she looks silky and sexy. Are you pleased?[/quote]

Pretty much, yes. I still need a couple refinements, but I've plugged 'er in and it's still a great rumbling beast with some nice smack on top- so the wood loss has come up mostly negligible. And light as a feather! That and the near-perfect neck make for an effortless player.

I'm too busy at present to get nice pix up, or pix of how the strap button placement works. I will though! But yep, I'm pretty happy with it, thanks for the good word dude. I need to get some playing time with 'er now. I'm off to Portuguese band practice, I'll plug it in there and have a run- it's been a long time!

Disclaimer: These are cell phone pix, and I hate being photographed- so my aspect is one reflecting discomfort at the thing. Oh well, it's only me. Here's the deal with the bass, so far...

Because of the strap button positions, it tends to be very well balanced and stay where you position it...

Still sounds hugely phat and slammingly excellent.

Edited by Count Bassie

Superb. You look like a match made in heaven.

Does the strap position work for you? And do you play with the headstock pointing in a northerly direction? Can i ask if it is down to a back problem that you have re-poistioned the strap buttons and removed the top cutaway on the bass body?

Funny but it is really difficult to remember what it looked like before the project. Could you post a before and after when you get a mo?

btw - It's my birthday tomorrow and the kids have secretly informed me about the soldering gear i,ll be getting and the other bass related stuff meaning i'll be starting the Ibanez rebuild soon.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1242455' date='May 23 2011, 06:24 PM']Superb. You look like a match made in heaven.

Does the strap position work for you? And do you play with the headstock pointing in a northerly direction? Can i ask if it is down to a back problem that you have re-poistioned the strap buttons and removed the top cutaway on the bass body?

Funny but it is really difficult to remember what it looked like before the project. Could you post a before and after when you get a mo?

btw - It's my birthday tomorrow and the kids have secretly informed me about the soldering gear i,ll be getting and the other bass related stuff meaning i'll be starting the Ibanez rebuild soon.[/quote]

Thanks! I need to play it out a bit before I'm truly sure of it, but so far I like it quite a lot.

The strap position works very well, and I find myself doing more of the Bill Wyman thing with it as time goes by here. I have an Ibanez BTB 5 string also, and that one spends more time vertical than this one does... but it's not a back issue, it's a nerve thing in my left arm. Arm extended, palm-up is trouble almost right away. The underside of my arm from the elbow down to my palm gets cold and somewhat numb. Not just playing, but I was using a palm sander on the interior walls of a house the other day and the same thing happened, only quicker.

I'll get Before/After pix up tonight if I can. And happy birthday dude! Do post your project.

McDaddy, I've gotten some ambivalent responses to the whole idea, and especially while posting progress shots... but there have been a few 'converts'! I can't say I don't miss the old shape either, but it was all about function changing the form. For my part it worked out well. Glad you can dig it, thanks for the good word.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BottomE' post='1284413' date='Jun 27 2011, 12:54 PM']Hiya Count,

Hope things are ok. Hows the Hamer? Have you had a chance to gig it yet?

B[/quote]

Hey Grasshopper! All is well, I'm back at work full-time just as we speak, starting a nice little cash job on Wednseday, and some fairly ambitious stuff coming up to last into winter. So I'm looking up!

Yes, I've played the bass out a few times now, did a nice show with the "dead electric cowboy" band weekend before last, and it went very well. The bass is getting very good reviews, as is the old EAW cab I recently loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 3015. I'm hoping to get hold of a DVD of the show I just mentioned (we're actually called "The Millrats", we do a lot of country. Grateful Dead, 60s-70s hippy-rock), and I'll post a clip.

Thanks for asking. You started that project you mentioned yet?

Hey here's an updated, "more fair" before/after hit:
[b]
Before...[/b]

[b]After...[/b]

EDIT: I thought Id write a short blurb concerning how I feel about the state of it...

Pros.
I like the beveling. I also like the SG/Westone vibe it's taken on. Functionally it's a good deal friendlier- it's now much more the player for me.

Cons.
I miss the trad shape, and the fact it had pedigree. That is gone now, no matter what I do to try and 'bring it back'. This was a no turning back deal, I knew that.

Summary.
It's not that I'm sorry I did it, I really like playing it! It is my favorite in maybe 10 years , and it still sounds great even with the wood gone missing. I've actually gotten some nice compliments not only on the bass, but on my playing it (:)). That will be because I find it very comfortable, to the point where inspiration is "easy to reach" through the instrument- if you get me.

Might have to do a new color at some point though. It's beginning to look 'unfinished' now...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1285095' date='Jun 28 2011, 06:23 AM']I wish you could have them both.[/quote]

I always say you can have everything, just not at the same time! But honestly, this is more fun to play. Given the chance to do it over, I'd do it again, I'm afraid!

Now a Gibson EB-0 L... that would've stayed original, with a no-cutting pickup mod and some new guts.

I am a sucker for a story with a happy ending. I love it Count and am really pleased its worked out as a good gigging bass. I really think its cool. Lovely bass. I forgot how beat up it was when you started the project. You got me lusting after another Hamer.

My project has changed a bit. I got the solder kit and setup rulers, gagues and stuff for my birthday and then for some reason unknown to me started lusting after a P Bass? Never been my thing before. Anyway i have bought a Precision body off of the ebay - picking up later this week - i bought some PuPs and a neck from a guy on this forum (hopefully). Not sure what i am going to do with it when it all comes together...There is no method to my madness just a lot random impulse purchases :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1285187' date='Jun 28 2011, 07:43 AM']I am a sucker for a story with a happy ending. I love it Count and am really pleased its worked out as a good gigging bass. I really think its cool. Lovely bass. I forgot how beat up it was when you started the project. You got me lusting after another Hamer.

My project has changed a bit. I got the solder kit and setup rulers, gagues and stuff for my birthday and then for some reason unknown to me started lusting after a P Bass? Never been my thing before. Anyway i have bought a Precision body off of the ebay - picking up later this week - i bought some PuPs and a neck from a guy on this forum (hopefully). Not sure what i am going to do with it when it all comes together...There is no method to my madness just a lot random impulse purchases :)[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm glad it's worked as well. I kind of knew it would, just to what degree I'd be happy with it, I didn't know. Landed on the up-side!

Your project sounds like it's setting itself up for you. Roll with it, and eventually there'll be a time in the process to make a decision- that's when it becomes yours! Have an adventure, see what you end up with. We'll want to see pix, etc., of course! A P-bass is a great mod-er, by the way. I've seen some very cool pimp-jobs on that venerable battle-axe! :)

• 3 weeks later...

One more...

I don't have any straight-on or otherwise decent shots of me playing it, but one of my part-time party bands did a retirement-party gig for an old friend. As the party bloomed into the afternoon, their "Back-in-the-Day band", [b][i]The Bel-Airs[/i][/b], got up and did a spontaneous 50th Anniversary jam. Here's the cruiser in action:

Sounded big, full and authoritative through the Trace AH250SMX/Eminence 3015-loaded EAW cab. Alright, I'll let this one go now! Your turn, Bottom E...

• 1 month later...

I know... that this thread has been dead awhile, but I got a little live footage of my modded Hamer Cruisebass getting played at a recent gig and I thought I'd post it. 'Tis here, at a Portuguese feast with my Portuguese trad/events band, Novera... yes it's me playing, in all my dour splendor. :)

I don't know how to get the vid to appear here, so here's a linky: [url="http://youtu.be/tX6duR0ZLGw"]http://youtu.be/tX6duR0ZLGw[/url]

Another, a better view of the bass I think. Please, ignore the player. [url="http://youtu.be/AVJyXvXG6TE"]http://youtu.be/AVJyXvXG6TE[/url]

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1348414' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:56 PM']I know... that this thread has been dead awhile, but I got a little live footage of my modded Hamer Cruisebass getting played at a recent gig and I thought I'd post it. 'Tis here, at a Portuguese feast with my Portuguese trad/events band, Novera... yes it's me playing, in all my dour splendor. :)

I don't know how to get the vid to appear here, so here's a linky: [url="http://youtu.be/tX6duR0ZLGw"]http://youtu.be/tX6duR0ZLGw[/url]

Another, a better view of the bass I think. Please, ignore the player. [url="http://youtu.be/AVJyXvXG6TE"]http://youtu.be/AVJyXvXG6TE[/url][/quote]
Count! How the devil are you. I am at work and unable to play them at the moment but will later.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1350093' date='Aug 24 2011, 06:40 AM']Count! How the devil are you. I am at work and unable to play them at the moment but will later.[/quote]

I'm in a hole, but trying to fix it... the vids are nothing if not personally compromising, but the show the bass bopping around slightly. The sound isn't very bass- friendly either, but if you have an eq in your system you can hear it. How you been man?