Why become a member? ×

Is this a problem?

nugget

Hi -

I've got somrthing strange going on with my amp (SWR220 studio into schroeder212)

Until recently I've always gigged with the amp volume at just over half way but over the last month in nearly every gig I've been having to turn the volume down a bit during soundcheck and now its down to just under a quarter and it's only a 220watt head in a 5 piece classic rock band! I guess it's better than running out of headroom but I'm worried why its happening.... I dont have to fiddle with volume during a gig so it doesnt shift while playing. Apart from this I've never had any other issues with the amp.

I do the soundcheck so i know it's not someone who just thinks the bass is too lound
EQ on amp or bass hasnt changed, I only use one bass
Input level is the same as i always check the clip light JUST comes on when slapping pre-gig
Its not batteries as I do about half the gig in passive mode.
I'm not playing any harder (if anything a bit lighter due to the raised volume)
It's not the amp overheating (I guess that would drop output)
I've checked the ohms on the cab and it's not changed
Still using the same type of strings and have been through 3 sets since I've noticed the problem
I got the cab 2nd hand so it's not the speakers running in
it's not the speaker cable as I've tried 2 different ones.

I just adore the SWR220 and would jump under the nearest bus if it every packed up

is this something anyone else has experienced? Is it something I should be worried about? PS I cant afford to buy a backup right now....

Ta
Dave

[quote name='nugget' post='1034933' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:55 PM']over the last month in nearly every gig I've been having to turn the volume down a bit during soundcheck and now its down to just under a quarter and it's only a 220watt[/quote]

This is very common and is usually accompanied by increased wearing of slippers and smoking of pipes :)

[quote name='dincz' post='1034940' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:01 PM']This is very common and is usually accompanied by increased wearing of slippers and smoking of pipes :)[/quote]

welll I did buy some slippers about a month ago - my first pair since i was a kid....but they are comfy and keep my feet warm....

I like Chris_B's idea of the band turning down and playing tricks.... I WISH those les paul/boogie damm guitarists would turn down a bit, apparently the volume pots on their amps cant be turned anti-clockwise!!!

Bloodaxe - I've tried 2 cables both with high quality 1/4" plugs - BUT I've tried them both into the same output, I could try the other speaker output on the amp. i dont think there are speakons on the amp (I'll look later)

The cab was 2nd hand when I got it and I've gigged with it twice a week for 3-4 months

ta
Dave

[quote name='nugget' post='1035442' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:46 PM']I've tried 2 cables both with high quality 1/4" plugs - BUT I've tried them both into the same output, I could try the other speaker output on the amp. i dont think there are speakons on the amp (I'll look later)
ta
Dave[/quote]
Ah... I wonder if there was some cack in the socket that's now been dislodged. Might be worth popping the covers off the amp to see if it's riddled with fluff (or if there's obvious oxidation on the speaker output contacts).

P.

Could be a dodgy component changing the gain as it warms up.

Are there any valves in there? My amp definitely gets gradually louder for about an hour after being switched on - I think as the valve in the preamp warms up.

Another option - assuming a rotary control knob, has it slipped on its shaft?

bloodaxe - I'll certainly try that this weekend, it is an old amp so i wouldnt be surprised if there was crap on the output contacts. I did hover out the dust when I got it but didnt inspect the sockets.....

[quote name='thinman' post='1035477' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:21 PM']Could be a dodgy component changing the gain as it warms up.

Are there any valves in there? My amp definitely gets gradually louder for about an hour after being switched on - I think as the valve in the preamp warms up.

Another option - assuming a rotary control knob, has it slipped on its shaft?[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions
the volume doesnt change from initially turning on to the end of the gig.... I dont think the knob has slipped, when winding knob back the pointer stops at 0.

Edited by nugget

Have you changed where you actually place the amp on the stage recently ?

Or has the stage layout forced you to position the amp in a corner, or near a back wall in the gigs where it's sounded louder ? (as opposed to being nearer the middle of the stage away from any walls).

Positioning a speaker cab in relation to surrounding walls can create a "coupling" effect that can affect the volume.

[quote name='BOD2' post='1036663' date='Nov 25 2010, 05:45 PM']Have you changed where you actually place the amp on the stage recently ?

Or has the stage layout forced you to position the amp in a corner, or near a back wall in the gigs where it's sounded louder ? (as opposed to being nearer the middle of the stage away from any walls).

Positioning a speaker cab in relation to surrounding walls can create a "coupling" effect that can affect the volume.[/quote]

Thanks for the ideas- I dont think that's the problem, we have played pretty much different venues every gig over the past month. ranging from small pubs were we're jammed in a corner to large functions with loads of space. the 'problem' has been increasing wherever we play!
No one else in the band has changed guitars/amps/cabs/drums/PA in the past month.

Ta
Dave