Why become a member? ×

Got my new Eminence EUB today!

Clarky

Ian Morton from SMART hand delivered my new Eminence RN4 today (which was above and beyond the call of duty on a Saturday; great service!) First impressions are that its beautifully made, feels very double bass-like and is very simple to assemble/disassemble for travelling (though I will only take the neck off if we do gigs involving trains or flights). Comes with a good gigbag and a rocksolid, hard plastic golf bag container for flying.

The Helicore strings were a bit taut for my liking (as other BCers have told me) and I have swapped them over for Innovation Honeys which are lower tension and have made it a dream to play. Not been able to play it amplified yet as I only got the strings sorted about 10.20pm this evening, that awaits me tomorrow. This is a lovely instrument with as much DB vibe as its possible to get for an EUB, very well-designed and very user-friendly.

[attachment=64502:DSCF2244.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1030989' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:16 PM']Ian Morton from SMART hand delivered my new Eminence RN4 today (which was above and beyond the call of duty on a Saturday; great service!) First impressions are that its beautifully made, feels very double bass-like and is very simple to assemble/disassemble for travelling (though I will only take the neck off if we do gigs involving trains or flights). Comes with a good gigbag and a rocksolid, hard plastic golf bag container for flying.

The Helicore strings were a bit taut for my liking (as other BCers have told me) and I have swapped them over for Innovation Honeys which are lower tension and have made it a dream to play. Not been able to play it amplified yet as I only got the strings sorted about 10.20pm this evening, that awaits me tomorrow. This is a lovely instrument with as much DB vibe as its possible to get for an EUB, very well-designed and very user-friendly.

[attachment=64502:DSCF2244.JPG][/quote]

How will you sleep tonight?

Enjoy!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1031087' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:54 AM']How will you sleep tonight?[/quote]
Like a log! Friday night was my youngest's birthday party and we had eleven 13 year old boys for a sleepover. finally got them to pipe down at 4am.....

In answer to what I will be playing through, same as my DB, ie, a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and my MarkBass 1x12 combo

Thanks for the comments chaps and a big thanks to Gareth Hughes for all his advice ahead of me buying this lovely instrument

• 3 months later...

[i][b]Postscript:[/b] [/i]

Used the Eminence last night live for the first time at Rattlin Bone's 12 Bar gig. Played it through an Acoustic Image Contra combo I recently acquired off Beedster (who else?!) Sounded very authentically DB-esque, no feedback problems, and got several complimentary comments about the sound (as well as the looks). Very pleased I chose this now. Just wish I hadn't dinged the edge when it tipped over on its stand at my home a couple of months ago :) Ignoring that bit of ham-fistedness by me, a lovely instrument and a really sensible easily transportable DB alternative. Here's a pic from the gig:

[attachment=74676:P1040094.JPG]

We were standing over to the side of the stage so I can't really comment on the sound from the Contra, but the DI'd sound through the PA was superb - the Eminence really does sound very DB and cut through absolutely fine, despite being in competition with three trombones and a souzaphone.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1160262' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:31 AM']We were standing over to the side of the stage so I can't really comment on the sound from the Contra, but the DI'd sound through the PA was superb - the Eminence really does sound very DB and cut through absolutely fine, despite being in competition with three trombones and a souzaphone.[/quote]
Thanks Jack - I used the DI out from the Contra to the PA so hopefully the PA faithfully replicated the tone of the Acoustic Image combo. This will definitely be my set-up for gigs with either transport or stage size issues. For bigger stages or when I can use the car I will bring my full DB

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1030989' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:16 PM']Ian Morton from SMART hand delivered my new Eminence RN4 today (which was above and beyond the call of duty on a Saturday; great service!) First impressions are that its beautifully made, feels very double bass-like and is very simple to assemble/disassemble for travelling (though I will only take the neck off if we do gigs involving trains or flights). Comes with a good gigbag and a rocksolid, hard plastic golf bag container for flying.

[attachment=64502:DSCF2244.JPG][/quote]

I'm fairly certain I saw one used a couple of years ago with Robert Cray in concert (Basingstoke) and having only read about them the day before,
I was pretty impressed with it, though of course the sound up in the 'gods' seating wasn't as 'tight' on bass as we all want to hear.

[quote name='fatback' post='1161070' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:26 PM']The coolest looking of all the EUBs, if ya ask me.

Congrats :)[/quote]
Thanks mate, although my vote for best looking EUB goes to the rare (and sadly too pricey for me) Kolstein Busetto travel bass, as owned by BC's Mr Bassman. Now that is gorgeous - and its based off Scott La Faro's DB (my favourite DB player)

[attachment=74748:Kolstein.jpg]