Why become a member? ×

Fake Neck Binding - Stick-On

xilddx

The only way I can think to achieve this would be if you could scuff the finish on the side a little bit, mask up very carefully and use a hard white lacquer, then clearcoat over it and polish to blend it in. Not sure how well it'd wear on the edge of the fretboard though. Probably work better on an all-maple neck since you'd clearcoat over the fretboard as well, might have problems on rosewood.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1028756' date='Nov 19 2010, 12:56 AM']The only way I can think to achieve this would be if you could scuff the finish on the side a little bit, mask up very carefully and use a hard white lacquer, then clearcoat over it and polish to blend it in. Not sure how well it'd wear on the edge of the fretboard though. Probably work better on an all-maple neck since you'd clearcoat over the fretboard as well, might have problems on rosewood.[/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines.

Should have just bought a bound neck really shouldn't I :)

I think Lakland (Skylines at least) have a faux binding. If I recall they are painted on. I saw at the classic car show a pinstipe paint dispenser that would probably achieve although a masking and paint (preferably spray to avoid brushmarks) would probably achieve the same results. Make sure you prep the neck as you would for any spray job.

[quote name='silddx' post='1028628' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:45 PM']It would have to be very fine I guess.

Does anyone produce this?

Cheers.[/quote]
Dont use tape it will react and wrinkle when laquered.....if not fixed by a laquer it will just come away...
I once used white nail varnish,leave a couple of days to harden ....then fine wire wooled to flatten and then laquered....... :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1029503' date='Nov 19 2010, 03:50 PM']Wipe down with meths and electrical tape. Electrical tape has fooled Bassassin in photos of a Rickenfaker.[/quote]
If you're talking about your CMI pre-restoration, I think that was down to the pic quality rather than the artistry of the work!

If it's not, then I blame short-term memory loss.

I think electrical tape would have a tendency to peel off, particularly the lower side. I've seen painted-on "binding" on cheap 70s Korean tat, looked OK apart from where it was chipped. I think that's the best idea, if you can mask it accurately.

J.