Why become a member? ×

going from a 5 to a 6 quite quickly

BTS_Spacebass

About a month after joining here I traded my 4 string for a 5 string. I had, up til now, only played 4's and never felt the need to change. I've now had the 5 afew months and I can't help thinking about getting a 6. Getting the 5 has really changed the way I look at the fretboard and now i keep getting the urge to go up a little bit more.

Has anyone else had the same quick transition from 4 to 5 then pretty much straight on to 6?

cheers

T

I went straight from 4 to 6. Mainly because I was in a band that required excessive use of the B and I saw a 6er on eBay for not much money and thought "Why not?" and now I'd never play anything but! 5ers never interested me. If you're going for the extra range, you might as well grab a 6er innit?

Truckstop

i think you can over think changes from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6..im sure going to 7 and 8 is the same....its just an extension of what you know(maybe) already...just a bit of getting used to..of course there is the physical element.... also depends on the bass...ive played a Sei 5 that was as easy physically as a 4....

what music you playing, do you really need a six?... i really enjoyed playing a Yamy TRB 6..confused sometimes, but time with the instrument cures this. but the music i was playin didnt call for it....bloody heavy too, but thats not all sixers....

as always try before you buy....this is the never ending bummer with buying basses or any instrument...if you dont like it its too late... go into your local shop and annoy them with a playathon...offer them money to try out a sixer until your happy.. like Yoda would say...

save you money in the long term it will

I bought my first five string (Warwick Corvette) after I'd been playing about 3 years,and traded it for an Ibanez BTB six about 4 years later. So it wasn't a quick transition. I've now got a couple of six strings,but have been playing fives for the majority of the time.
If you want a six,try one out first. You may find that the neck just isn't comfortable for you. Or, it may be just what you've always wanted.

[quote name='BTS_Spacebass' post='1028555' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:00 PM']I'll probably more than likely pick one up in addition to the 5 and i can always move it on if its not for me.

I did find it funny though that for about 9 years I'd played a 4 and didn't even think abut getting a 5 and then get a 5 and immediately want a 6 :)[/quote]

[i]"My name is SpaceBass and I'm a stringaholic..."[/i] :)

I did around 20yrs with 4 strings, got my first 5 string about 9 years ago and 6 string appeared about 2 months back.

By my reckoning I should be upgrading to seven string in 2022 and then moving to eight string in 2040... :lol:

The only time I've had more than four strings was when I saw someone selling a 6 that I really wanted, so I bought it. I honestly didn't notice any difference between playing 4 and 6 (maybe because it was a Warwick and it was excellent) but it was too showy for the sort of gigs I was after so I shifted it. It was a lovely bass though.

Consequently I don't think it's a big deal adding more strings at all. If your technique is sound it won't matter how many strings you've got, until you get into ridiculous neck-too-wide-for-human-hands territory where all you can do is tap the bloody thing if you want to play anything below C2...

Went straight from 4 to 6, odd numbers scare me. Plus like Truckstop I needed a B string. The guitarist said if your gonna get a 5 string you might aswell get a 6 string so I did, afterall I do everything guitarists tell me.

Still play the 4 string at home for practice as it feels so much different and I'd hate to be caught out at an open mic night.