Why become a member? ×

Jack input knackered

ConnorHamilton

Hey all,

my Warwick FNA's jack input has recently started to play up when I plug in my lead. I have to plug it in and then pull it out a quarter inch to get a sound.

I looked in the control cavity but as I have no idea about this stuff, it looked all fine to me.

Are there any check I should do? Is this an easy fix? Am I an idiot?

Please help.

Thanks

Connor.

[quote name='ConnorHamilton' post='1027019' date='Nov 17 2010, 04:21 PM']Hey all,

my Warwick FNA's jack input has recently started to play up when I plug in my lead. I have to plug it in and then pull it out a quarter inch to get a sound.

I looked in the control cavity but as I have no idea about this stuff, it looked all fine to me.

Are there any check I should do? Is this an easy fix? Am I an idiot?

Please help.

Thanks

Connor.[/quote]

Hi Connor,
Assuming you're using a standard guitar lead, the jack socket on your FNA is faulty and needs replacing.
It's quite easy to do yourself [b]provided[/b] you know how to solder - if you don't know how to solder then hand it over to a guitar tech.
It's a pretty quick and easy thing to sort out so should be a relatively cheap repair job.

There MUST be an electronics/radio/HiFi geek in your neighborhood. Look for a high radio antenna and there - underneath it you'll likely find someone who can solder if you cannot do it yourself.

I cringe when I hear '[i]go to a guitar tech[/i]' as that usually means $$ (€€ for youse guys).

What I find is that those cables made by just one company (Monster) are particularly bad on warping the contacts on female jacks and that if you can, just bend the spring-parts back into a tighter position. I've had Monsters destroy more than one female connex in the past with their slightly oversized dimensions.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1027068' date='Nov 17 2010, 04:56 PM']There MUST be an electronics/radio/HiFi geek in your neighborhood. Look for a high radio antenna and there - underneath it you'll likely find someone who can solder if you cannot do it yourself.

I cringe when I hear '[i]go to a guitar tech[/i]' as that usually means $$ (€€ for youse guys).

What I find is that those cables made by just one company (Monster) are particularly bad on warping the contacts on female jacks and that if you can, just bend the spring-parts back into a tighter position. I've had Monsters destroy more than one female connex in the past with their slightly oversized dimensions.[/quote]

Thanks guys,

its a planet waves lead Ive been using. Yeah I can solder. Think Ive got an iron in the garage. Ill check how the contacts are against the lead!

Thanks for the snappy replies.

Connor

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1027068' date='Nov 17 2010, 04:56 PM']There MUST be an electronics/radio/HiFi geek in your neighborhood. Look for a high radio antenna and there - underneath it you'll likely find someone who can solder if you cannot do it yourself.

What I find is that those cables made by just one company (Monster) are particularly bad on warping the contacts on female jacks and that if you can, just bend the spring-parts back into a tighter position. I've had Monsters destroy more than one female connex in the past with their slightly oversized dimensions.[/quote]

We still use £££'s - with the possible exception of Norfolk... :)
I agree though, this doesn't necessarily need a full blown guitar tech - only real advantage is that they probably have a stock of suitable sockets to hand and will understand that the socket also needs to switch on a tone control circuit (if applicable).

Bending the socket contacts back into place is absolutely fine provided the socket is an open skeleton type (i.e. you can actually get to the contacts).
Unfortunately some manufacturers are using the shrouded type which makes this impossible.

And as for the Monsters - totally agree with your findings and they are also a company who are "prone to controversy" shall we say... :)

[quote name='ConnorHamilton' post='1027086' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:15 PM']Thanks guys,

its a planet waves lead Ive been using. Yeah I can solder. Think Ive got an iron in the garage. Ill check how the contacts are against the lead!

Connor[/quote]

No problem Connor. :)
If you're an experienced soldering iron wielder then you should have no problem changing the jack socket if needed.

If you're not too sure then take a peek at this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110170"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110170[/url]
It covers the basics of soldering a pot but is equally true for a jack socket.

Depending on the design of the jack socket, it might be possible to fix the problem by bending the contact for the plug tip. Your description sounds like it may have lost some of its 'springiness'.

Having said that, if you're going to open it up anyway and you're OK at soldering, then a new socket wouldn't go amiss.

[quote name='ConnorHamilton' post='1027086' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:15 PM']Thanks guys,

[b]its a planet waves lead[/b] Ive been using. Yeah I can solder. Think Ive got an iron in the garage. Ill check how the contacts are against the lead!

Connor[/quote]
Seem to recall that Planet Waves cables use oversize plugs too. Utterly unnecessary IMO.

If you don't want it to happen in the future, either run up your own cables with standard Neutrik plugs, or get a couple from our very own [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]OBBM[/url]

P.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1027207' date='Nov 17 2010, 07:20 PM']Seem to recall that Planet Waves cables use oversize plugs too. Utterly unnecessary IMO.

If you don't want it to happen in the future, either run up your own cables with standard Neutrik plugs, or get a couple from our very own [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]OBBM[/url]

P.[/quote]

Yep, i seem to remember that they had compression springs in the tip which put constant pressure on the jack socket.

I ditched mine for obbm and home-made ones ages ago, Neutrik connectors all the way for me. If i'm spending £20+ on a lead it's the least i expect

[quote name='icastle' post='1027093' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:22 PM']...
Bending the socket contacts back into place is absolutely fine provided the socket is an open skeleton type (i.e. you can actually get to the contacts).
Unfortunately some manufacturers are using the shrouded type which makes this impossible.

...[/quote]

On a Warwick the socket is completely enclosed so if it's playing up then it's best to replace it. You can get a Neutrik replacement from Maplins for about £2. Make sure you get a stereo socket, of course!

Off to repairs and tech for you...

Oh and BTW once you have got the socket mended do yourself a massive favor and carefully wrap up the PLanet waves lead make it into a nice circle and drop it into your dustbin.

These leads are cack - Invest in a new one from OBBM on this site or get the components and make your own (if you can fit & solder in your own jack socket) using Nuetrik connectors and Van Damme or Klotz lead -

For the small investment you'll instantly wonder what you were playing with before when you plug in.