Why become a member? ×

People who buy the latest stuff then flog it 3 months later

far0n

[quote name='silddx' post='1019297' date='Nov 10 2010, 08:13 PM']Jeesus, far0n, where have you been? Haven't seen you around for ages.[/quote]

I know, I've been hiding ! The summer's been nice anyway and I've been doing a lot of running lately. Did the Redcar half marathon, a few 10Ks, got the Thirsk 10 mile coming up in 2 weeks. Tell you what though, I sweat a lot less on stage with the band. I recommend fitness to anyone that plays in a band !!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1019801' date='Nov 11 2010, 10:38 AM']....I always keep my gear for a long time until I get around to getting something that suits better.

It takes me ages to get to know what I want and I keep it because I made a good decision at that time.
I just make sure I know what I like....[/quote]
+1

I hate buying and selling.

I need to be reading good reviews for at least a year before I'd consider anything. So it's always what I want when it arrives and then I'll play it for years. In the last 24 years I played 2 rigs for 10 years each and the current one for 4 years.

I suppose you could see this as a problem with so much gear readily available online. In the olden days you'd have to have physically gone to a guitar store to try something and maybe negotiate some free strings or get it on HP whereas now you can order almost anything from the other side of the world, usually at a lower price than any shop could do with Mr Plastic only to find that it may not suit.

[quote name='owen' post='1019378' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:31 PM']Buying and selling 2nd here is more or less cost neutral. Taking a loss of £20 or £30 is certainly cheaper than a day trip to London or wherever both in time and money.

There is also the thrill of the chase :)[/quote]
+1
But what bugs me is the countless "I paid ££ for it and I'd like to get that back." threads. Why aren't people happy to take a small hit seeing as they've used it and now posses the first hand experience/knowledge of owning it not to mention having notched up an extra owner to it's history? Bah humbug! :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1019951' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:41 PM']But what bugs me is the countless "I paid ££ for it and I'd like to get that back." threads. Why aren't people happy to take a small hit seeing as they've used it and now posses the first hand experience/knowledge of owning it not to mention having notched up an extra owner to it's history? Bah humbug! :)[/quote]

Agreed. The market is as much about what buyers are prepared to pay as about what sellers would "ideally" like to get for the item. Why do we need to know how much they paid for it? It's irrelevant and seems to be an attempt to say "this is worth a lot more than you skinflints are prepared to pay - so cough up!". :)

Everything sounds great in your bedroom or music shop.

You need to get it into a musical situation to really assess it. Sometimes that means buying and road testing for a few months.

This is one of the great things about basschat - the ability to have a dabble and move it on !

[quote name='guyl' post='1020022' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:26 PM']Everything sounds great in your bedroom or music shop.

You need to get it into a musical situation to really assess it. Sometimes that means buying and road testing for a few months.

This is one of the great things about basschat - the ability to have a dabble and move it on ![/quote]

Thats exactly it, for me anyway.
Would n't have got a Mark Bass head or Barefaced cab if it had n't been on here.
Has cured me of amp GAS for at least...ooh...a month?!!