Why become a member? ×

Small Rig for Reggae?

Count Bassie

I got a call from a reggae band I play the occasional gig with (we used to work together a lot, things change), and I ordinarily have a pretty good phat cab to pump it up through... at this point I'm winnowed down to a Trace Elliot 715-S combo (Series-6, 200w w/ ext jack) and a Trace 1153-T for an extension cab.

My question is, does this sound like I'm pushing it for a reggae rig? I'm pretty sure it's indoors, and I know the Trace stuff can handle it power-wise. But I'm concerned about [u]speakers[/u] here: I don't want to stress 'em, taking out all the mid-punch and giving some boost to the lows, like I know I'm going to do. It's got to be a big, blossomy, [b][i]round sound[/i][/b].

These guys aren't about volume, thankfully in this case, from the bass. It's going to be about tone above all- if I'm not rattling bottles at the bar it's alright. Think these little cabs will survive it?

Edited by Count Bassie

Give your rig a test run. set it to a bassy tone & whap it up (in increments of course) & see if the speakers break up.

Personally, I don't see why your rig wouldn't handle it but I've only ever used one trace rig & it was a 4x10 combo & I don't think it would have handled it.
My 2x10 shifts a lot more air & handles a lot more bass than it did.

On second thoughts, you might wanna start looking for a new rig. :)

Looking at your gear, I`ve not used the Sansamp VT, but if this produces as warm a sound as the Bass Driver, you may be there. I had a TE amp years ago, but the addition of the Sansamp bass Driver really warmed it up. Just backed off the gain on the Driver, and boosted the blend and the bass, nice deep rounded thudding sound. With 15s, I wouldn`t have thought you`d have many problems here.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1018506' date='Nov 10 2010, 05:38 AM']Here are some friends of mine playing Reggae. You don't need speaker blowing bass, just some solid low mids.

[/quote]

Pretty cool, nice blend of something there. Very tight bass, a tad busier than my approach but fun to listen to!

2 x 15s is perfect for reggae, I don't think you'll have any problems unless the drivers are not up to the job - which phat cab do you ordinarily use that's so much better?
I used a Trace 150w combo with a single 15 for ages in a reggae band and found it plenty deep and loud enough for most gigs.
It's what I used to record all the tracks [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='redstriper' post='1020851' date='Nov 11 2010, 06:57 PM']2 x 15s is perfect for reggae, I don't think you'll have any problems unless the drivers are not up to the job - which phat cab do you ordinarily use that's so much better?
I used a Trace 150w combo with a single 15 for ages in a reggae band and found it plenty deep and loud enough for most gigs.
It's what I used to record all the tracks [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].[/quote]

Didn't mean to let this go unanswered- sorry! I had been using a Peavey 215-D loaded with Black Widows. It was a great, deep, hefty sound. I've had a few other cabs too, but all too big for my weird logistics at home. We have rough stone steps going [i]up[/i] to our basement, and in winter they're a drag to traverse with any significant burden. I've bit the dust pretty hard a couple times at 3 in the a.m. after a gig, carrying some big bastard of a plywood box up those icy perils, and finally got sick of it.

I've had an 1153 for a couple weeks now, and you know I think it'll do the deal. I'm just now tuning in to your tracks... thanks for the link.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='redstriper' post='1020851' date='Nov 11 2010, 06:57 PM']I used a Trace 150w combo with a single 15 for ages in a reggae band and found it plenty deep and loud enough for most gigs.
It's what I used to record all the tracks [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].[/quote]

Hey, nice tones! Dig the horn line copping "She's a Woman" on "Happy Within"!... Good playing man.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1049555' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:49 AM']I think your rig will be fine. I use a flatwound strung Precision with foam under the bridge which although not used for reggae is ideal for that sound. Really thumpy.[/quote]

I think so now too, thanks Burrito. I ran it today (home from work- boss says it's too cold! Yes!) with the AH250 SMX and it sounds pretty huge actually. Works with the combo also, but the SMX has that compressor, which seems to do a nice thing for the lows.

Anyhow, squared up for now. And the reggae gig got cancelled! But at least I know I can do it... thanks all!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1049888' date='Dec 6 2010, 04:17 PM']I know what you mean about carrying heavy rigs after gigs and I've got rid of my Trace rig now.
I use a Markbass LM2 with one or two Flite 152 cabs - it sounds great for reggae or anything else I do and those Flite cabs are f...lite alright ![/quote]

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about Flite- those are made in the next state- Connecticut. I'm in Rhode Island. I wonder if that guy's even still making them?