Why become a member? ×

7 String basses

Dread Bass

I've never gone below a low B but based on what people are saying it might be worth putting a low F# string on your current bass temporarily and seeing if it works in your band situation before spending lots of cash on a 7 stringer (assuming you don't have to file the nut out to accommodate the thicker string).

TBH

One of my bands tune to G already and i cant say i have noticed any massive problems now i dont know about fundementals or overtones but what ever it is it sounds fine. I am paranoid now. Im going to have a really close listen on Wednesday night when we play Rock city.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1016985' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:25 PM']TBH

One of my bands tune to G already and i cant say i have noticed any massive problems now i dont know about fundementals or overtones but what ever it is it sounds fine. I am paranoid now. Im going to have a really close listen on Wednesday night when we play Rock city.[/quote]

Well simple answer is, if it sounds fine, it is fine! :)

[quote name='dood' post='1017008' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:53 PM']Well simple answer is, if it sounds fine, it is fine! :)[/quote]

Yup, there are no rules :)

I've been playing 7's (strung B-F) for the last 8 years or so. I was in a rock band where I could trade solos with the guitarist and played a fretless Yamaha TRB 6 II for a few years which was heavy!! I then saw Bill Dickens playing a 7 and thought "why not?", so I bought a Conklin GT7 via eBay in the USA. When I had the opportunity to order a Sei bass a couple of years ago it had to be a 7 and I then had the Conklin de-fretted and ramped by Jon Shuker (and what a marvellous job he did as well!).

The Conklin is ash with a maple top and weighs 14lbs (yup 1 stone!!). The bolt-on neck is wenge and purpleheart and is topped with a wenge board. Electronics are the standard Bartolinis.

My Sei 7 (named Jezebel by my wife) has a walnut core with lacewood top. The thru-neck is wenge and maple and is topped with a birds-eye maple board with my signature inlaid at the 12th fret. The side of the neck has purple LED's as I had to have them :lol: Electronics are really straightforward with just a custom-wound Kent Armstrong pickup wound by Aaron Armstrong. The side of the body has a series/parallel switch and a XLR output next to the standard input jack. Knobs are from Q-Parts.

It's the flexibility of having a 7 which is the thing. If I want to play a solo I have the range and if I don't need it I don't have to use it!! Virtually every bassist who has played my 7 has got the idea of it within about 5 minutes or so. OK, there's more strings but it's not difficult to play. It's more difficult dealing with the "why do you need more strings question!".

If you;re going for an ACG you're in good hands. Alan has some great materials there as well as bespoke pickups and filter preamp. The pre already goes does to 20Hz so it's good for that low F# you're planning.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1018027' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:41 PM']Good man Eddie. I see you are already using A and C tunings so that's pretty low as it is but there is always scope to go further.[/quote]

One of my basses as i mentioned already is tuned down to g :). It's only a 4 string though so there is not really enough range. I had a look at those conklin basses and as i said before i nearly picked up a 7 string on ebay. It was a custom jobbie by some bloke in uraguay or something (it had already been imported into the uk though!) and the guy was selling it for like £450. Bit of a bargain i thought. Oh well. Maybe in the future...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1018032' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:44 PM']One of my basses as i mentioned already is tuned down to g :).
Ah yes sorry i missed that in your signature.

and the guy was selling it for like £450. Bit of a bargain i thought. Oh well. Maybe in the future...[/quote]
That is a great deal. The conklin groove tools used to come up quite a lot on ebay for like $700 left handed but you dont see the lefty ones very often now.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1018063' date='Nov 9 2010, 08:10 PM']That bass looks very smart on you. :)[/quote]

Why thank you sir

I am quite a big fan of it. You are a man of impeccable(spelling?) taste.

Its one of the reasons i want a stripped down custom is to tour with so i don't hurt The Murder Bass. That would make her angry and you don't want to see her when she is angry.

A 7 string bass is absolutely necessary at all times always for everything! If you could help me convince Mieko of that I'd be much obliged! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done, when I get back to the U.K. my first port of call is going to be your house! You've got so many new toys while I've been away! I'm looking forward to having a go!

• 1 month later...

There's no way on this earth that I could play, or would even want, one of these mad monsters... I tried playing Doodle once and it nearly melted my brain. But I certainly like to see them. Fascinating stuff. More power to your elbow, & looking forward to the build diary.