Why become a member? ×

Line6 Studio 110 Question

webby

Been reading a lot about this amp. Seems to be a favourite amongst the forum, but is it enough to gig with, both in terms of FOH and as my monitor?

I've been thinking about getting a practice/home/headphone amp, but if the Studio 110 could do it all then that would be great!

Could it replace my TNT150?

Thanks

[quote name='webby' post='1014061' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:37 AM']Been reading a lot about this amp. Seems to be a favourite amongst the forum, but is it enough to gig with, both in terms of FOH and as my monitor?

I've been thinking about getting a practice/home/headphone amp, but if the Studio 110 could do it all then that would be great!

Thanks[/quote]

I would expect not mate. the line 6 aint known for being overly loud. The Peavy 150tnt would spank its bottom all the way to the bank.

I have one and I'd say with confidence that it's certainly not loud enough for gigs (in anything other than the smallest of pub back-rooms with an acoustic trio etc.) Up against drums or electric guitar (at any realistic volume) you'd have no chance. I managed to get something passable up against one guitarist with a Fender Twin using a Spector NS5-XL (the hottest output I've ever heard from a bass) but I wasn't at all sure that the amp or speaker would cope for long. The Line 6 110 Studio is a very nice little practice amp but not gigable in my opinion (I have to say too that I'm not convinced that I'd want to use one in the studio - this is bedroom gear)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014063' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:41 AM']I would expect not mate. the line 6 aint known for being overly loud. The Peavy 150tnt would spank its bottom all the way to the bank.[/quote]

Ok, thanks, which one have you got, your sig just says lowdown.

So, is there any other small combo amp that could be used for gigs?

I'm pretty new to rehearsing and gigging, and the gear aspect of playing bass. I bought the TNT150 years ago when I was young and naive when really what I needed at that time was something like the Studio 110 but that wasn't around then!

[quote name='webby' post='1014084' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:03 AM']Ok, thanks, which one have you got, your sig just says lowdown.[/quote]

I have the babyLD15 matey. its the 8" driver with 15watt output. Its fantastic for rehearsals when my drummer uses his rolands electric drum kit and my guitarist used his wee peavey. However past this it would be useless as the litle speaker is no match for the output of my basses.

Your amp I believe is 75watts with a 10" driver. No way will this keep up with a full acoustic drumkit, guitarist and PA system. as its been said above this is a practise amp, the peavey is a nice big 150watts getting pumped out through a 15" driver. I wouldnt be shifting the peavey until such times you acquire a new gigging combo/rig.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014377' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:23 PM']Your amp I believe is 75watts with a 10" driver. No way will this keep up with a full acoustic drumkit, guitarist and PA system. as its been said above this is a practise amp, the peavey is a nice big 150watts getting pumped out through a 15" driver. I wouldnt be shifting the peavey until such times you acquire a new gigging combo/rig.[/quote]

To clarify, I don't own the amp. I was posing the question to help make my decision.

As for the Peavey, I'll keep it for sure. It's a workhorse, built like a tank (and weighs about the same as one!). I'll look into other options for home practice, such as headphone amps, or a mini amp like the LD15 you have.

Cheers.

i would suggest this would be an overly excessive practice amp. the LD15 would probably be more up your street. But remember there are multi-fx boxes like the boss and pandora ranges that can be used by plugging your headphones diretly into it plus you could add Aux music or stick in pc speakers to the headphones socket if you fancied getting loud.

There are plenty of options for you so do a bit of research to see what you really want and need. the research is half the fun.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014459' date='Nov 6 2010, 04:42 PM']i would suggest this would be an overly excessive practice amp. the LD15 would probably be more up your street. But remember there are multi-fx boxes like the boss and pandora ranges that can be used by plugging your headphones diretly into it plus you could add Aux music or stick in pc speakers to the headphones socket if you fancied getting loud.

There are plenty of options for you so do a bit of research to see what you really want and need. the research is half the fun.[/quote]

Exactly! And I was only considering the Studio 110 if you it could 'do it all' so to speak. How about a Trace Elliot boxer 15? Any good?

Cheers.

Edited by webby

I bought one on the strength of their reputation and I really like the amp sims but having gigged with it last weekend with my function band, I can safely say that it's nowhere near loud enough to cut it in a live situation, even as a monitor. I'd got it on an amp stand, raised up a couple of feet off the ground, pointed at my ears (see photo below). It was DI'd into the desk and the tone through the front of house was superb but I had to have it almost on full volume just to hold it's own against a reasonably quiet drummer, a keyboard player and guitarist.

Really it's designed for home and studio use. The amp simulations sound great through headphones and the mp3/cd input is a huge help for rehearsing. The small sealed box that the driver lives in results in very little low end output. I ditched a Peavey TNT150 for the Studio 110 because I too was sick of lifting it in and out of the boot of my car, but in a live shootout, the Peavey kicks the Studio 110 into the middle of next week.

I'm selling mine on [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200538506330&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]eBay[/url] now and going back to the lightweight portable combo that I should never gotten rid of in the first place, a Hartke Kickback 12.

If you're looking for an extremely portable, great-sounding combo for studio, recording or home noodling, then look no further. If you're looking for something to gig with as a stage monitor, find something else

Edited by bassman2790

Don't be sorry webby. That's the beauty of this forum. You can get advice from people who have had first hand experience of gear you're gassing for which gets past the hype and avoids the pitfalls. I had a feeling the Studio 110 wasn't going to be man enough for the job right out of the box (it's not a loud 75 watts) but I had to try it.
I was stupid to sell the Kickback 12 I bought from Basschat's very own 'Loudandclear' and I'm very fortunate to have found another one on sale here on the forums. A Kickback may be just what you're looking for. If anything, the Kickback 12 seemed lighter than the Studio 110. I loved the tone from the single 12" driver. It's way louder than the Lowdown. The larger enclosure and huge port on the back allows it to produce far more low end than a small combo should.
On more than occasion, I had comments of disbelief, "All that sound is coming from THAT little thing".....I can't wait to get my hands on this other one. I certainly won't be selling it :)

Edited by bassman2790

i can only add to the above. as a monitor it may cope. Mine coped fine at any rehearsal i threw at it. fantastic practice amp, great for rehearsals, for gigs its a monitor at most. the di is fantastic di though and it may do what your looking for. my honest advice is go and try one, ask the shop owner if they would mind you cranking it. i use quite a treble heavy sound and it was bloody loud imho.

[quote name='charic' post='1014863' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:14 PM']i can only add to the above. as a monitor it may cope. Mine coped fine at any rehearsal i threw at it. fantastic practice amp, great for rehearsals, for gigs its a monitor at most. the di is fantastic di though and it may do what your looking for. my honest advice is go and try one, ask the shop owner if they would mind you cranking it. i use quite a treble heavy sound and it was bloody loud imho.[/quote]

was yours not the 300 though C????

In the Line 6's defence, the unique way the amp works means you can turn it all the way up without it distorting. Maybe I'm doing it a diservice. My Peavey Max 450 rarely needs to go above 2 on the master. I think the band were thrilled that I couldn't swamp the stage with copious amounts of low end. Using the Studio 110 DI'd into the desk gave me the best live tone I've had in years and made my cheap Ibanez sound so good that I was quizzed at half time by a Rick 4003 owning bassist as to where my fantastic tone was coming from. I'd say try one. It may be just what you need. I wish I could afford to keep mine. I know I shall miss it when it's gone.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='webby' post='1014061' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:37 AM']Been reading a lot about this amp. Seems to be a favourite amongst the forum, but is it enough to gig with, both in terms of FOH and as my monitor?

Thanks[/quote]

This is probably where I get screamed at :), but this is my experience with Line6 kit...

About a month ago I refreshed my backline and ordered an LD750 head and an S110 combo.
The rationale was that I could use the LD750 whilst gigging (I was totally sold on the ability to preset tones for different instruments and recall them at the push of a button) and the S110 would be great for studio use.

The kit arrived on a Friday and was hastily checked ([b]BAD[/b] idea) for a wedding gig the next day.
Well, you don't need to be Agatha Christie to write the next chapter...

Saturday evening and our hero enters stage left to raptuous silence as always.
All goes well for the first 30 mins or so, they're a fairly quiet audience but at least they're not moving towards us...
Then I notice some distortion creeping in, about 10 mins later the volume dips and then everything gently fades like autumn leaves on a gentle breeze...
Luckily we always DI all backline so our sound engineer was able to compensate FOH and increase my foldback.

I was not best pleased when I got home, repackaged the LD750 for return and then took a closer look at the S110.
Just over two hours later it started to clip...

Needless to say, the whole lot went back to the retailer who refunded the S110 and replaced the LD750 with a Peavey Tour 700.

Now, common sense tells me that it was "just one (or two) of those things" but it kinda seems to me that packing so much cleverness into a small metal box is just a train crash waiting to happen.
Yep - I'm probably totally wrong but I'm married and used to that... :)

I haven't replaced the S110...yet... (look upon my iron willed self control and be in awe!) but I know what I'm [b]not[/b] going to buy...

[quote name='webby' post='1014150' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:15 PM']So, is there any other small combo amp that could be used for gigs?

I'm pretty new to rehearsing and gigging, and the gear aspect of playing bass. I bought the TNT150 years ago when I was young and naive when really what I needed at that time was something like the Studio 110 but that wasn't around then![/quote]

If you're looking at the budget end of the market I think you'll struggle to get a significant improvement on the Peavey. The aforementioned Hartke is a good choice. I've known people gig with them. I've gigged with an Ashdown MAG250-15 which is about 180watts into a 15" speaker and it was fine for the job especially with an extension cab.

There are plenty of gigworthy combos about but to get loud, light and cheap is a tall order. It would also help to know your budget :)

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014063' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:41 AM']....I would expect not mate. the line 6 aint known for being overly loud. The Peavy 150tnt would spank its bottom all the way to the bank....[/quote]
+1

Small combos will work in small rooms on acoustic duo type gigs.

There might be combos that will work in a full band situation but "big boys toys" are separates. If you want to move onwards and upwards from a Peavey TNT150 get 2 good 112's, Aguilar for example, and a 300-500 watt amp. Then you can then mix and match 1 or 2 cabs and cover any situation.

Right, I think I'll stick with the peavey for now and get something small or maybe just a headphone amp for practising at home. I've just started out again on bass, (see my profile for more info) so it may be best if I take it one step at a time.

Thanks to all for your input.

Edited by webby

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1014532' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:32 PM']If anything, the Kickback 12 seemed lighter than the Studio 110.[/quote]

Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking:
according to the distributor's site, the Kickback 12 is 42lb [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=30&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...0&brandID=3[/url]
whereas the Studio 110 is 24lb [url="http://line6.com/lowdownstudio110/"]http://line6.com/lowdownstudio110/[/url]

Of course, if you're reasonably strong, 42lbs is still pretty light. If you're a nine stone weakling like me, however, the Markbass CMD 121P is hard to beat as a truly giggable lightweight combo; at 29.5 lbs it's not a lot heavier than the Studio 110, and although it's a fair bit more costly than the Hartke, there have been a couple going on this site recently for stupidly low prices.

Edited by Earbrass