Why become a member? ×

Losing A, D & G

Rosh

Hello there, just a quick query;

You can see my gear in my signature and I have a bit of a problem. My E string is very bassy.

I play a lot of melodies on higher strings (think Andrew Rourke, chilled out) but can hardly hear them compared to the very hot E...

It was the same on my old ESP bass and it's the same on my Fender.

My EQ is pretty much level but I'm finding it hard to get all 4 strings to have a level output -- what can I do?

[quote name='Rosh' post='1007928' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:08 PM']Hello there, just a quick query;

You can see my gear in my signature and I have a bit of a problem. My E string is very bassy.

I play a lot of melodies on higher strings (think Andrew Rourke, chilled out) but can hardly hear them compared to the very hot E...

It was the same on my old ESP bass and it's the same on my Fender.

My EQ is pretty much level but I'm finding it hard to get all 4 strings to have a level output -- what can I do?[/quote]

+1 to the other comments but you could also try cutting your lows on your eq a slight cut at 50-120Hz might do the trick, if its all the basses you have had that are doing this then I would look at eq. There is nothing wrong with cutting the lows if its too boomy on the E which is in the 40-100hz is region on your Eq

If it's happening on 3 very different basses I think it may be a technique issue. If you play fingerstyle you may be playing the E harder than the others because there's no next string to stop it. Have you played on 5 strings and found the problem goes away? Another long shot could be your hearing has lost some high end and bass just seems louder.

As it's happening on more than one bass, I'd roll off a little around the 160hz & see if this takes the the boominess away. If it doesn't, then work out if it needs to be a higher frequency that you need to roll.
Looking at your amp, you might need to mess about with a combination of the mid bass in it & the tone controls on your bass(es) or invest in an EQ.

If this fails, just avoid playing the E string :)