Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass

BASainty

The two i personally like are the Ibanez AEB series - the AEB8E is around £210, withe the AEB10E somewhere between £300 and £350, and the Fender King Bass - basically a Jazz Bass neck fitted to an acoustic bass - available for around £280

The one I really liked was the Fender BG31 - but they seem to be discontinued now.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want to spend, and what you like - there are cheaper ones, but I have yet to find one that I like as much as the ones mentioned above. As ever - you really need to get out there and play a few to find out what suits you, and then sort out the finances to pay for it.

accoustic basses just wont keep with accoustic geetars as they dont have enough volume (physical space) so in order to keep up they need to be plugged in and then you are into the region of semi-accoustics or electro accoustics.

I've been down this route and it was fairly dissapointing.

I'd agree the Ibanez is good and so are the Ovations.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1002982' date='Oct 27 2010, 08:44 PM']accoustic basses just wont keep with accoustic geetars as they dont have enough volume (physical space) so in order to keep up they need to be plugged in and then you are into the region of semi-accoustics or electro accoustics.

I've been down this route and it was fairly dissapointing.

I'd agree the Ibanez is good and so are the Ovations.[/quote]

Yeh when i said acoustic i should of said electro acoustic since thats whats im looking for lol my SX is electro acoustic but i want something different to move on with i love the sound of electro acoustic bass sounds really cool!

Yeh i my budget is about £300 what kinda deals can i get s/h?

Heh, I just sold one of those Ibanez AEB10E basses, the dark violin burst is very nice looking, they're medium scale (32") which had surprisingly little effect on my muscle memory, nice acoustic sound (but like any other acoustic bass, too quiet for anything more than jamming along to a (quietly played) song), plugged in it had a robust sound, not too harsh like some piezos I've heard - if anything it was a touch bass heavy with the EQ flat and I had to rein it in a little. Has some nice features like built in tuner (which made it ideal for why I had it - practising songs for an upcoming gig in my lunch hours at work), XLR and jack output, and most curiously runs on AA batteries instead of 9V PP3.

I also had a Takamine acoustic a while back, also a fine instrument.

Ultimately I got shot of mine because it's an expensive luxury to have lying around the office doing nothing when you don't have 24 songs to learn in a short time and the pressure's on!

[quote name='neepheid' post='1003457' date='Oct 28 2010, 02:29 AM']Heh, I just sold one of those Ibanez AEB10E basses, the dark violin burst is very nice looking, they're medium scale (32") which had surprisingly little effect on my muscle memory, nice acoustic sound (but like any other acoustic bass, too quiet for anything more than jamming along to a (quietly played) song), plugged in it had a robust sound, not too harsh like some piezos I've heard - if anything it was a touch bass heavy with the EQ flat and I had to rein it in a little. Has some nice features like built in tuner (which made it ideal for why I had it - practising songs for an upcoming gig in my lunch hours at work), XLR and jack output, and most curiously runs on AA batteries instead of 9V PP3.

I also had a Takamine acoustic a while back, also a fine instrument.

Ultimately I got shot of mine because it's an expensive luxury to have lying around the office doing nothing when you don't have 24 songs to learn in a short time and the pressure's on![/quote]

I have the AEB10 in black::

.......and love it dearly. It's warm and has a great thump-twang to it with wound bronze rounds on it. I have some Martins that my retailer installed for me for free. I made than part of the sale anyway.

I've hear guys insist that they sound lots better with flats or nylon-wraps on it - but, gee, this is a specialty bass and the stock bronze-y sound is really great.

One of my favorite bassist, Nathan East has a video of him playing what inspired me to rush out and buy an AEB for myself, although I got a 4-stringer.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hv_8TXFWg&feature=fvsr#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hv_8TXFWg&feature=fvsr#[/url]

If you have a sub-woofie on your 'puter, now's the time to turn it to 12 o'clock! Just listen to him and the sound of that bass!

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

This is my semi acoustic bass its an Ozark which I beleive are quite well known in the irish folk scene? However its a nice bass and well made for the cash. They are great for acoustic jam nights as most the other bands just use a normal bass through the desk which is a bit of a cop out IMO. Like someone else said about theirs I too find it a little heavy on the bass side although mine is an early version with just tone and volume pots so I think its maybe all part of the acoustic bass sound. Slightly OT but has anyone tried lowering the action on one? I have grown to like a lower action over the years and would like to reduce it a little bit, Is it just a case of skimming a bit of the plastic bridge blade if you know what I mean? Ta.

[attachment=62448:up_ozark.JPG]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1004481' date='Oct 28 2010, 02:27 PM']This is my semi acoustic bass its an Ozark which I beleive are quite well known in the irish folk scene? However its a nice bass and well made for the cash. They are great for acoustic jam nights as most the other bands just use a normal bass through the desk which is a bit of a cop out IMO. Like someone else said about theirs I too find it a little heavy on the bass side although mine is an early version with just tone and volume pots so I think its maybe all part of the acoustic bass sound. Slightly OT but has anyone tried lowering the action on one? I have grown to like a lower action over the years and would like to reduce it a little bit, Is it just a case of skimming a bit of the plastic bridge blade if you know what I mean? Ta.

[attachment=62448:up_ozark.JPG][/quote]

I've dropped the bridge nut on a couple of my classical guitars, and it's not hard.

You can do it two ways: 1) hit and miss with remove/cut/replace/test or 2) carefully measure what you need to remove and just do it once and be over with it.

If you try either, it might be a good idea to find what the turn around is to get a new one if you somehow make a mistake.

It can happen.

There are a few acoustics I have been looking at i cant decide between the Fender Kingman, Ibanez AEB 10E, Takamine EGB2S or a Michael Kelly Firefly.

Can anyone help tell me which are the best out of these?

If anyone has any more suggestions for an acoustic bass for under £300 please let me know please? =].

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1004563' date='Oct 28 2010, 03:40 PM']There are a few acoustics I have been looking at i cant decide between the Fender Kingman, Ibanez AEB 10E, Takamine EGB2S or a Michael Kelly Firefly.

Can anyone help tell me which are the best out of these?

If anyone has any more suggestions for an acoustic bass for under £300 please let me know please? =].[/quote]

Of course, I believe that I have the best for the money.

One funny though - I was in the acoustic guitar-humidity controlled area at my local Guitar Center one day and as I walked near it, a Dean Playmate just ripped it's own bridge off the sound box.

All by itself, it did!

Makes me want to buy one of [i]THOSE[/i], fer sure!

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1003280' date='Oct 28 2010, 06:41 AM']Yeh when i said acoustic i should of said electro acoustic since thats whats im looking for lol my SX is electro acoustic but i want something different to move on with i love the sound of electro acoustic bass sounds really cool![/quote]

Agreed:

Although I bought a double bass instead, for volume reasons. And clunge reasons.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1004680' date='Oct 29 2010, 03:22 AM']Agreed:

Although I bought a double bass instead, for volume reasons. And clunge reasons.[/quote]

Yeh i have a double bass too :-P
I want an acoustic coz i love the sound plugged in and they are very cool ;-)

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004568' date='Oct 28 2010, 11:46 PM']Of course, I believe that I have the best for the money.

One funny though - I was in the acoustic guitar-humidity controlled area at my local Guitar Center one day and as I walked near it, a Dean Playmate just ripped it's own bridge off the sound box.

All by itself, it did!

Makes me want to buy one of [i]THOSE[/i], fer sure![/quote]

What are dean playmates like?
The anoying bit is that they dont have the cutaway body wouldnt that make it harder too play high?

[quote name='casapete' post='1005385' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:04 PM']I can recommend the Washburn AB20. Had mine for nearly 20 years, and its still great.
You can get them s/h at quite good prices - Oldman has one for sale on here in 'basses for sale'[/quote]

I cant seem to find any on here I had a check.

I have found the Washburn AB-10 B on google are they similar to the AB20?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1005393' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:22 PM']I cant seem to find any on here I had a check.

I have found the Washburn AB-10 B on google are they similar to the AB20?[/quote]

I see you found it!

The AB series start with the AB10 and go through to the AB40/45.
Think the AB10 is similar to the old AB20, certainly looks the same....
I've seen them going new for around the £300 mark, and rate them the best in this price range, along with the Takamine 512c.
Cheers

[quote name='casapete' post='1005464' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:58 PM']I see you found it!

I've seen them going new for around the £300 mark, and rate them the best in this price range, along with the Takamine 512c.
Cheers[/quote]

Yeh I may save up a little bit more and go for a AB40 they are very very nice looking things!

I was lucky enough to get a bargain [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-premier-tw155-4-string-acoustic-bass-guitar--53166"]Tanglewood 155[/url] locally for £60 cos the previous owner was a bit careless and dropped it causing a crack to appear on the surface of the body. It's structurally sound and is really nice to play:

I also owned one of the Takamine G Series basses, also sounded great, but not as smooth to play as the Tanglewood IMO.

[quote name='casapete' post='1005464' date='Oct 29 2010, 08:58 AM']I see you found it!

Cheers[/quote]

There is an Ibanez AEB5 too. $199.99USD where the AEB10 is $349.00USD.

[quote][b][size=3]Ibanez AEB5 Acoustic Bass Guitar[/size][/b]
The AEB acoustic bass series delivers real, punchy low end, amplified or not.

As an unplugged acoustic bass, these mahogany body spruce top beauties have the quality woods and construction to create a warm sounding bottom that can be felt as well as heard.

When amplified, these basses utilize Fishman Sonicore Pickups and Ibanez AEQ SST Shape Shifter Preamps to pump the tones up and offer the thump you need at whatever volume.

The addition of an acoustic bass in any musical situation adds a layer of
warm, low end resonance that makes songs come alive and arrangements sound more fleshed out.

Ibanezs AEB models deliver full sounding, round low end...acoustic or plugged in.

[indent]

Spruce top w Agathis back and sides

Mahogany neck w Rosewood fretboard and bridge

Ibanez AEQ 202T Preamp with 2 Band EQ and Onboard Tuner

Ibanez Piezo Pickup

Case not included.[/quote][/indent]

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004562' date='Oct 28 2010, 10:39 PM']I've dropped the bridge nut on a couple of my classical guitars, and it's not hard.

You can do it two ways: 1) hit and miss with remove/cut/replace/test or 2) carefully measure what you need to remove and just do it once and be over with it.

If you try either, it might be a good idea to find what the turn around is to get a new one if you somehow make a mistake.

It can happen.[/quote]

Thanks I will have a look at that some time. Strangley I was looking at string height gauges on another thread and someone said is not needed to do setups as its best to do it all by feel this is clearly not true in this situation as its a one chance thing rather than adjusting up and down. Im going to order one now! Thanks.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004188' date='Oct 28 2010, 05:34 PM']One of my favorite bassist, Nathan East has a video of him playing what inspired me to rush out and buy an AEB for myself, although I got a 4-stringer.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hv_8TXFWg&feature=fvsr#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hv_8TXFWg&feature=fvsr#[/url]

If you have a sub-woofie on your 'puter, now's the time to turn it to 12 o'clock! Just listen to him and the sound of that bass![/quote]

East playing his custom shop Yamaha 5-string. He also has a 4-string example. Previously, he used Guild acoustic basses.

I used to use a Takamine, but now play a K Yairi.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1008250' date='Nov 1 2010, 03:14 AM']East playing his custom shop Yamaha 5-string. He also has a 4-string example. Previously, he used Guild acoustic basses.

I used to use a Takamine, but now play a K Yairi.[/quote]

He's a great artist - and he can sing at the same time too! In harmony or counterpoint!

I just loved both the look and the sound of his bass, so I went and bought the first black one with white binding I could find and when I walked into my 'local' GC (56 miles - one way!) I saw it and just grabbed it off the display.

Four-verses-five strings has never been debatable to me - I'm still a dyed in the wool, 4-er.