Why become a member? ×

Opinion on the workmanship - photo of pedal interior

1976fenderhead

I'm possibly buying this pedal from a guy that makes them, it's a clone from a Colorsound Bass Fuzz with true bypass and accepting standard power supply (this one is modded for extra volume but mine won't be so it won't have the extra PCB), it sounds amazing but I'd like to have your advice (of people who are knowledgeable of this electronics stuff)... How professional/amateurish is it? Will it crap out on me? Any components so bad it's worth paying more to have better? How much would you say this is worth as it is?

Many thanks.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Can't comment on component selection (simply don't know) or soldering (can't see most of it, circuit board is wrong way round to see) but something occurs to me: What's holding everything in place ? The battery and the circuit boards don't appear to be anchored to anything I can see.

If everything's rattling around there's a risk of mechanical damage.

Andy

Looks fairly solid if unspectacular, I'd be worried about the socketed transistors coming loose instead of being soldered in but that's my only worry really. Not enough of an expert to comment on the quality of components or the value. If you're paying top dollar for it, I'd expect it to be better build quality, like DAM pedals.

[url="http://stompboxes.co.uk/fuzzsound.html"]Like so (2nd to bottom pic)[/url]

If it's reasonably priced, go for it.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='998891' date='Oct 24 2010, 02:51 PM']Can't comment on component selection (simply don't know) or soldering (can't see most of it, circuit board is wrong way round to see) but something occurs to me: What's holding everything in place ? The battery and the circuit boards don't appear to be anchored to anything I can see.[/quote]

plus the one - how are the pcbs anchored to the case ?

apart from that it looks well executed...damn sight better than my efforts !!!

The small bit of stripboard and the battery are just wedged in, a lot of pedals do that, even the very expensive ones, as long as it's done properly it shouldn't be an issue. The big bit of stripboard however is anchored in by a very visible stand off, soldering looks good as well, should be fine.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='998846' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:41 PM']I'm possibly buying this pedal from a guy that makes them, it's a clone from a Colorsound Bass Fuzz with true bypass and accepting standard power supply (this one is modded for extra volume but mine won't be so it won't have the extra PCB), it sounds amazing but I'd like to have your advice (of people who are knowledgeable of this electronics stuff)... How professional/amateurish is it? Will it crap out on me? Any components so bad it's worth paying more to have better? How much would you say this is worth as it is?

Many thanks.[/quote]

okay parts, okay wiring, i wouldn't worry about it crapping out.

in regards to other posts, perfboard is raised up off the case and help in place by foam pads, you can see them sticking through

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='998846' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:41 PM']I'm possibly buying this pedal from a guy that makes them, it's a clone from a Colorsound Bass Fuzz with true bypass and accepting standard power supply (this one is modded for extra volume but mine won't be so it won't have the extra PCB), it sounds amazing but I'd like to have your advice (of people who are knowledgeable of this electronics stuff)... How professional/amateurish is it? Will it crap out on me? Any components so bad it's worth paying more to have better? How much would you say this is worth as it is?

Many thanks.[/quote]
its like hundreds you will find trawling forums.....whats the asking price

[url="http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8156&p=85923&hilit=Colorsound+Bass+Fuzz#p85923"]http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.ph...ass+Fuzz#p85923[/url]

or this might be fun to make too
[url="http://i19.tinypic.com/4zde9ly.gif"]http://i19.tinypic.com/4zde9ly.gif[/url]

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='998977' date='Oct 24 2010, 04:18 PM']Is that an ok way of holding it then?

It's costing me £65, I wouldn't call it top dollar :)[/quote]

not bad, would be better if it was a properly bias'd germanium one though! give it a punt but keep in mind it'll be a hard resale

personally i'd spend the extra dollar and get a proper one, they look absolutely mint!

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='999215' date='Oct 24 2010, 07:48 PM']not bad, would be better if it was a properly bias'd germanium one though! give it a punt but keep in mind it'll be a hard resale

personally i'd spend the extra dollar and get a proper one, they look absolutely mint![/quote]

They're a ridiculously massive box full of air with no true bypass and not even a power supply socket... Hardly worth £179!!!

Can't comment on the design or componentry for obvious reasons. It looks like a competent construction but is not really to professional standards. Stripboard is a bit "amateur" these days when proper PCBs are fairly cheap to design and manufacture, but I guess it depends on the volumes being manufactured.

If you don't physically abuse it, it will probably hold together OK, although socketed components is not a great idea (perhaps this is a test model and the guy was trying our different transistors?). The diecast case will be nice and rugged but that's not the whole story if the internals are not securely fixed and start rattling around, especially if the box is kicked around on stage.

£65 seems a reasonable price because there's a fair bit of assembly work required. I presume this is a sideline activity rather than a full-on business?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1000392' date='Oct 25 2010, 07:54 PM']Can't comment on the design or componentry for obvious reasons. It looks like a competent construction but is not really to professional standards. Stripboard is a bit "amateur" these days when proper PCBs are fairly cheap to design and manufacture, but I guess it depends on the volumes being manufactured.

If you don't physically abuse it, it will probably hold together OK, although socketed components is not a great idea (perhaps this is a test model and the guy was trying our different transistors?). The diecast case will be nice and rugged but that's not the whole story if the internals are not securely fixed and start rattling around, especially if the box is kicked around on stage.

£65 seems a reasonable price because there's a fair bit of assembly work required. I presume this is a sideline activity rather than a full-on business?[/quote]

Yeah I think so, don't know the guy personally. I agree with everything you said, especially because it echoes exactly the opinion of my father in law who's done these things for a living, though mostly not musically related. I think it's a bit overpriced too, my feeling also from seeing similar hand made pedals for sale on eBay is for about £45, he's not lowering from £65 which I think is not worth it, I'll go back to it later if I absolutely can't live without one, for now the Tone Bender model on my M9 is doing an awesome job despite the loss of dynamics, and I have time to look for other alternatives better done if more pricey.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='999257' date='Oct 24 2010, 08:10 PM']"I", couldn't build my own if my life depended on it mate :) I guess you mean the price of parts? So parts + labour how much would you value?[/quote]

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='1000492' date='Oct 25 2010, 09:08 PM']Yeah I think so, don't know the guy personally. I agree with everything you said, especially because it echoes exactly the opinion of my father in law who's done these things for a living, though mostly not musically related. I think it's a bit overpriced too, my feeling also from seeing similar hand made pedals for sale on eBay is for about £45, he's not lowering from £65 which I think is not worth it, I'll go back to it later if I absolutely can't live without one, for now the Tone Bender model on my M9 is doing an awesome job despite the loss of dynamics, and I have time to look for other alternatives better done if more pricey.[/quote]

learn? and it sounds like you have someone in the family who can help you.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1001451' date='Oct 26 2010, 05:50 PM']I'm building a few pedals next week, I'll try and put a step by step build diary up if it helps anyone thinking of trying a DIY build for the first time.

As for soldering, buy some stripboard, wire, solder and a cheap iron and practice. There's plenty of guides online and it's a useful skill to have.[/quote]

what pedals are you making? if you need any help just hit us up on here dude

Cheers, will do. I reckon I might need some help on component changes for switching NPN and PNP circuits, adding a blend control and improving bass response.

Got 4 boxes coming, 2 * 1 knob, 2 * 2 knob and a 5 knob. I reckon a couple of fuzz faces, (1 AC127 germ and one BC108 Si), a couple of one knob fuzzes (ie colorsounds) and either a fuzz factory or a wooly mammoth clone, although I'm open to suggestions.

Edit:- here's a list of the transistors I've got so far to play with.
8 * BD139 (possibly useless for fuzz)
4 * gain selected (2 pairs) AC127
20 * BC108
6 * BC109B (might use a couple of these for modding my Crybaby)
2 * gain selected 2N404
6 * AC176

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1001533' date='Oct 26 2010, 06:55 PM']Cheers, will do. I reckon I might need some help on component changes for switching NPN and PNP circuits, adding a blend control and improving bass response.

Got 4 boxes coming, 2 * 1 knob, 2 * 2 knob and a 5 knob. I reckon a couple of fuzz faces, (1 AC127 germ and one BC108 Si), a couple of one knob fuzzes (ie colorsounds) and either a fuzz factory or a wooly mammoth clone, although I'm open to suggestions.

Edit:- here's a list of the transistors I've got so far to play with.
8 * BD139 (possibly useless for fuzz)
4 * gain selected (2 pairs) AC127
20 * BC108
6 * BC109B (might use a couple of these for modding my Crybaby)
2 * gain selected 2N404
6 * AC176[/quote]

[url="http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/"]http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php...NFLY-LAYOUTS_0/[/url]

There's some interesting vintage fuzz circuits here using BC108s that don't get made commonly.