Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pretty rare this

Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='998446' date='Oct 23 2010, 08:30 PM']A '79 Sabre... lefty -> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310264308631&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]linky[/url]

I hope the cold snow isn't upsetting the neck.

I had to say it. :lol:[/quote]

Might inspire a new range of deep-frozen necks... :) :)

Jon.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='998446' date='Oct 23 2010, 08:30 PM']A '79 Sabre... lefty -> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310264308631&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]linky[/url]

I hope the cold snow isn't upsetting the neck.

I had to say it. :)[/quote]

goddam you Rich,,,,,I now have to go buy a righthanded one of these cos they are so lush.

DAMN YOU

[quote name='noelk27' post='999587' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:39 AM']Exactly what I said: touchboard.[/quote]

lol, uh, i think he [i]heard[/i] what you said, just didn't understand what touchboard means... :)

If you mean fretboard/fingerboard, i can't see anything wrong with it.
If you mean Pickguard, again can't see anything wrong with it.

These are the only 2 things that i guess you could mean by 'touchboard', but as i've never come accross that term in my decade+ of playing and almost as long on bass forums, and can't see anything wrong with either the fretboard of pickguard, i'm guessing Josh is as confused as me as to what you mean. Simply repeating the word didn't help lol :lol:

Noel's referring to the fingerboard/fretboard (being a committed member of the Junior Pedants League, I only use the term "fretboard" to refer specifically to a fretted instrument :) ), touchboard isn't a very commonly used term but is correct in this context. It's more commonly used in reference to instruments like the Chapman Stick or Warr, where it's descriptive of the intended playing techniques.

Jon.

[quote name='noelk27' post='998466' date='Oct 23 2010, 09:02 PM']Er, what's he done to the touchboard?[/quote]
Looks like it's been taken back to either the bare wood (is that wise with maple?) or to a satin finish. I think it looks pretty odd against the amber tint of the gloss on the headstock and the back of the neck. Sexy bass though. If I were rich and left-handed... :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='999893' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:11 PM']Looks like it's been taken back to either the bare wood (is that wise with maple?) or to a satin finish. I think it looks pretty odd against the amber tint of the gloss on the headstock and the back of the neck. Sexy bass though. If I were rich and left-handed... :)[/quote]

Guess i [i]was[/i] missing something lol

[quote name='Bassassin' post='999884' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:04 PM']Noel's referring to the fingerboard/fretboard (being a committed member of the Junior Pedants League, I only use the term "fretboard" to refer specifically to a fretted instrument :) ), touchboard isn't a very commonly used term but is correct in this context. It's more commonly used in reference to instruments like the Chapman Stick or Warr, where it's descriptive of the intended playing techniques.

Jon.[/quote]

Aaah! I see now! Wasn't having a go Noel, I was just unaware of what you were refering to :lol:

But yeah it looks a bit light to me, like it's been sanded down?

[quote name='josh3184' post='1000055' date='Oct 25 2010, 02:33 PM']But yeah it looks a bit light to me, like it's been sanded down?[/quote]
I wouldn't be surprised if it's been recently re-fretted and had the board refinished at the same time. If you look closely, I think it is still gloss - you can see what I'm pretty certain is a reflection on the last pic, right side of the 21st position. That's not visible in the other pics.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1000076' date='Oct 25 2010, 02:51 PM']I wouldn't be surprised if it's been recently re-fretted and had the board refinished at the same time. If you look closely, I think it is still gloss - you can see what I'm pretty certain is a reflection on the last pic, right side of the 21st position. That's not visible in the other pics.

J.[/quote]
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say it, that's my take on it too.... I thought it was obvious. The frets seem to have been quite heavily crowned (which I noticed before the light fretboard was pointed out) when compared to a 'ray which have quite rounded frets.

edit : maybe it's been pleked?

Edited by Ou7shined