Why become a member? ×

P bass or J bass

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='lanark' post='1002468' date='Oct 27 2010, 01:07 PM']One thing I've noticed about Jazz basses though, is that they have a tendancy to fall over because of their assymetrical bottom.

Since I picked up my Squier CV Jazz I can't count the number of times I've put it on the stand at rehearsal, gone to make a cup of tea and heard it crash to the floor. One of these days it might actually get damaged.[/quote]

Gosh! it must be you,Lanark,from Alistair Grey book,right?

[quote name='dr1' post='1005029' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:22 PM']Gosh! it must be you,Lanark,from Alistair Grey book,right?[/quote]

Ha! It IS where the name comes from.

Actually, I've met Alasdair Gray. He's not only bonkers, but a geniunely nice guy too. I edited a book about him for the British Library (involved commisioning Will Self and Jonathan Coe among others to write essays and he wrote his own life story and illustrations - we had the launch at Borders (RIP) in Glasgow.)

Of course, that's all by the by. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1002497' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:26 PM']Just shift the rear strap button up a bit and you get one of the few basses that [b]never[/b] falls over. :)

...Although I fear this info may be wasted on someone who time and again leaves his bass unattended in the way that it usually falls over from. :lol:[/quote]

That is such a cool idea.

[quote name='lanark' post='1005763' date='Oct 29 2010, 08:57 PM']we had the launch at Borders (RIP) in Glasgow.)[/quote]

ehhh??? Is Borders no longer there??? :lol:
It was a routine stop for me every month or so (I stay in Edinburgh), everytime I was going to Glasgow.
I even bought a Fender Stratocaster at the Starbucks inside! :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1001546' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:05 PM']I dont think i seen a G&L 2000 there and i dont know anyone with one i dont think[/quote]

I've got a L-2000 you're welcome to give a try. It was ordered with their #8 neck which is pretty much identical to a jazz (1.5" nut)

My L-1500 has the normal L-1500/L-2000 neck (1.75" nut) You're welcome to try that one too.

I'm in Kilmarnock so just a 10 minute hop in the car. Let me know if you want to try them

cheers

Keir

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='1005887' date='Oct 29 2010, 11:04 PM']I've got a L-2000 you're welcome to give a try. It was ordered with their #8 neck which is pretty much identical to a jazz (1.5" nut)

My L-1500 has the normal L-1500/L-2000 neck (1.75" nut) You're welcome to try that one too.

I'm in Kilmarnock so just a 10 minute hop in the car. Let me know if you want to try them

cheers

Keir[/quote]
Sounds good man, ill need to check the ever busy schedule of Alex (me) and whenever ur free etc.

Thanks for the invite :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1005805' date='Oct 29 2010, 09:34 PM']ehhh??? Is Borders no longer there??? :)
It was a routine stop for me every month or so (I stay in Edinburgh), everytime I was going to Glasgow.
I even bought a Fender Stratocaster at the Starbucks inside! :lol:[/quote]
Yeh Borders died a while ago :)

U seem to love ur coffee :) u always seem to associate yourself in Glasgow with a coffee shop.

[quote name='bassically_speaking' post='1005907' date='Oct 29 2010, 06:25 PM']P is the standard sound you can't go wrong. P if in doubt[/quote]

You know, if you were in a spot and had to pick, not knowing what your direction was going to be, that would be my answer too. But... I had a US Jazz and used to crank the neck p'up- I had some kind of dealy where you didn't get hum using a lot more of one pickup- and it was nice and dark, and punchy. If you can get that to happen and you love the look and feel of a Jazz, well that's [i]almost close[/i] to a P, and very much Fender.

I think the trick, for my sensibility, is that it sounds like a [u]Fender[/u].

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1005935' date='Oct 30 2010, 12:26 AM']You know, if you were in a spot and had to pick, not knowing what your direction was going to be, that would be my answer too. But... I had a US Jazz and used to crank the neck p'up- I had some kind of dealy where you didn't get hum using a lot more of one pickup- and it was nice and dark, and punchy. If you can get that to happen and you love the look and feel of a Jazz, well that's [i]almost close[/i] to a P, and very much Fender.

I think the trick, for my sensibility, is that it sounds like a [u]Fender[/u].[/quote]
Its annoying because i love the sound of both basses and i love the feel of both. The P neck doesnt bother me in the slightest which is a plus but i like the versatility of the J.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1005936' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:29 PM']Its annoying because i love the sound of both basses and i love the feel of both. The P neck doesnt bother me in the slightest which is a plus but i like the versatility of the J.[/quote]

I dunno. Sounds like you might want t J...

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1005898' date='Oct 29 2010, 11:15 PM']Yeh Borders died a while ago :)

U seem to love ur coffee :) u always seem to associate yourself in Glasgow with a coffee shop.[/quote]

True! The very first time I went to Glasgow I went straight to a place in Byres Rd called Little Italy or something like that, to wait for a guy working close by at the uni who had a tasty Fender Vibrochamp for sale. That place became my default place to meet people in town.

I'm definitely more of a coffee type than alcohol. I love my ice cold beers, but that's a summer thing for me and let's face it, it's never summer in Scotland! :lol:
Although last night after our gig I managed to drink my weekly intake in justa few hours :)

Shame about Borders... when the girls went to the n-th shop looking at shoes and clothes, I could escape there for a while to check various books.

for me, a jazz is suited to most types of music, sits well in the mix and never had a problem amplifying to hear it!

but then with the amp on same settings

a precision, goes higher (steve harris), lower (motown), but obv without a 15 you'll not get that really low end anyway (but thats another thread all together!)
i've never been able to get the aggression of my tone out of a jazz, but plug the jazz in, and its just , well, there! no aggression, but infinately more articulate shall we say!

in summary - and IMHO of course - you'll hear a jazz better, but it wont rumble your guts or scare ya!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1006245' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:12 PM']True! The very first time I went to Glasgow I went straight to a place in Byres Rd called Little Italy or something like that, to wait for a guy working close by at the uni who had a tasty Fender Vibrochamp for sale. That place became my default place to meet people in town.

I'm definitely more of a coffee type than alcohol. I love my ice cold beers, but that's a summer thing for me and let's face it, it's never summer in Scotland! :)
Although last night after our gig I managed to drink my weekly intake in justa few hours :lol:

Shame about Borders... when the girls went to the n-th shop looking at shoes and clothes, I could escape there for a while to check various books.[/quote]
Haha, women...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1006245' date='Oct 30 2010, 12:12 PM']Shame about Borders... when the girls went to the n-th shop looking at shoes and clothes, I could escape there for a while to check various books.[/quote]

Not just the Glasgow branch, the entire UK chain went to the wall about this time last year.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998079' date='Oct 23 2010, 01:23 PM']I just recently sold the yammy and lookin to trade the rickenfaker i have, hopefully for a jazz or p bass.[/quote]

what fake riki is it i got a MIM P that i wanna get shot of.

It's sounds like you should get the J then later get P..

I never would have called myself a Jazz fan, but I have two now.. that said they one has a P/J PUPs (aeordyne) and jazz roadworn, which sounds like vintage, actually better than some actual vintage ones I've tried..

The music I play is varied, from rock to soul to folk.. It's verstile. I think the J's sound better with acoustic guitars.. A P, rick or MM is the next bass on the list

[quote name='lanark' post='1008449' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:57 PM']Not just the Glasgow branch, the entire UK chain went to the wall about this time last year.[/quote]

:) I had no idea!

but now I remember that I thought it was odd the Borders at a centre here in Edinburgh was shut on a Saturday...