Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed - New rig wanted

scoobystig

hi guys

been out of the scene for about 7 years, but recently reformed band. after we split 7 years ago i sold my rig off which was a Peavey firebass, 4x10 and 1x15

while we have been practising i have used my old mans firebass and 1x15

but i really want a rig of my own, but not sure where to head

we are a rock band playing originals and covers, there is a definate bon jovi GnR's sound to our band, years ago it was Peavey on a budget or ampeg if had more money, but now adays thre seems to be alot more on offer

need some opinions from people in similar bands for what they use for there sound, i like the deepness of a 15 but also like the sound of 10's, ideally i suppose a 15 and 2x10 might be the way to go, but i have never played through 12's, also i would dearly love to lose some of the weight of the Peavey gear

i have a bass pod pro so do i just need a power amp or is it still best to get a bass amp

i have often lusted after some EBS kit but they may be because of the jovi influence and hughie mac playing EBS

about 10 years ago i had a peavey mk viii head and that had everything i wanted, good sound, compression and fottswitchable chorus, but weighed a ton

right starting to waffle now so i'll await some opinions from those in the know

cheers
steve

The Aguilar DB410 in the For Sale section is a fantastic cab at a great price. I'd pair it up with one of the Markbass amps, also in the FS section.

Edit: The DB410 will go deeper than a Peavey 115. That's modern gear for you!

Edited by chris_b

As the previous post suggests, Hartke LH500. Gets a lot of praise on Basschat. You could put it with the XL 4x10, - new yr looking at abt £600 for the lot. Or, as mentioned, 2x10 & 1x15 - this option of course increases yr expenditure.

As a wildcard suggestion - 4x12? - I use one, and its great, not too boomy, nice mids, great presence, and only one cab to wheel about rather than two.

I'd back Loz196 up on the merits of a 4 x 12. I play through a trace 4 x 12 and I love the tone from that. More than handles the low b on my six string but still has a lot of clarity through the register.

The only issue I have ever had with 12" speakers is if you are on a small stage and only stood a foot in front of it, all the sound goes past your knees and you can struggle to hear yourself even though it sounds great out front

All great suggestions above. I suppose it depends how much you want to spend? I personally love Ashdown gear. I've got an ABM EVO ii 500 combo and for what I do (small to medium gigs) it's awesome. Some of the lower end ashdown stuff can be a bit limited, in my opinion, but just get a SansAmp and all your problems will be solved. Truely awesome bit of kit.

if its rock, then you cant beat ampeg. Industry standard and bargain prices 2nd hand.

I would recommend a 4x10, they have the clarity and bottom end you will ever need. Plus, more specifically, my ampeg is quite easy to move around.

Ampeg all the way with me. Lovely gear, amazing rock tones, decent 2nd hand price and resale value plus looks nice.

Ticks all the boxes :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='998529' date='Oct 23 2010, 11:04 PM']if its rock, then you cant beat ampeg. Industry standard and bargain prices 2nd hand.

I would recommend a 4x10, they have the clarity and bottom end you will ever need. Plus, more specifically, my ampeg is quite easy to move around.

Ampeg all the way with me. Lovely gear, amazing rock tones, decent 2nd hand price and resale value plus looks nice.

Ticks all the boxes :)[/quote]

+1!

my first proper rig was ampeg! svt pro 6 on top of a 610hlf sounded awesome! still have the cab as you can see!

at some point i do wanna grab myself a pro 4 as they are beasts! ive seen them go dirt cheap 2nd hand to!

andy