Why become a member? ×

Saw a '74 Fender Jazz For Sale

machinehead

I wonder would some of you Fender experts care to help me with a '74 Jazz?

Please see the link to gumtree.

[url="http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/00/67326400.html"]http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/00/67326400.html[/url]

I'm interested in this but a few things worry me.

The bridge pick up looks like a 60s position?

Didn't all the 70s jazz have block markers?

Any opinions on this bass very welcome before I go to have a look. Including comments on the value.

Thanks,

Frank.

No, I wouldn't touch that... You are probably correct about the non-block fretboard and the pickup spacing is not 74. Also, the knobs look like late 70's replacements and there is also something funny about the decal too. The 'JAZZ BASS' seems to be placed wrong and the little 'contoured body logo' is definitely not placed correctly for a 74. Don't go there unless you can get to try it, and if it's a great sounding and playing bass, try to get a considersble discount as it's not a 74 as advertised (it might still be a great player :-).

[quote name='BoomBass' post='996692' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:07 AM']No, I wouldn't touch that... You are probably correct about the non-block fretboard and the pickup spacing is not 74. Also, the knobs look like late 70's replacements and there is also something funny about the decal too. The 'JAZZ BASS' seems to be placed wrong and the little 'contoured body logo' is definitely not placed correctly for a 74. Don't go there unless you can get to try it, and if it's a great sounding and playing bass, try to get a considersble discount as it's not a 74 as advertised (it might still be a great player :-).[/quote]

+1 to all of that. It might be a nice bass, but its not a '74 Jazz.

It's an alder body too, which Fender never released with just a clear coat. Plus, it's not a thick, glossy finish. Plus, it would have aged to a nice yellow if it did have said finish.

Whatever this bass is, it ain't what he claims it is.

Edit -> Actually, having looked at the headstock, that should be almost orange after this many years. The lack of finish is a big concern. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a Fender at all.

Edited by Doctor J

As mentioned above the decal is completely wrong - too many patent numbers under the 'Fender', the 'jazz bass' bit isn't aligned correctly and is too compressed (the final 's' should almost touch the G tuning peg, the 'offset contour body' should be higher up towards the ball of the headstock.

Also 70s tuning pegs didn't have rivets joining the padel to the shaft - the ones on this bass look like vintage reissues.

Definitely not what it says it is

Thanks people.

In summary then... it's definately not what it says and probably not even a Fender. I wonder if the seller believes what he's written is true. That would be a shame as he's clearly been scammed if that's the case.

I wonder what it really is? A cheap copy tarted up most likely by the look of things.

Frank

That logo looks like the type that are available on Ebay,where you get the entire logo on one piece of paper.Normally you would separate the OCB bit and position it properly,but some just put the whole thing on in one piece.I know,I've used them in the past!

PS Hi Frank.Hows the little Precision you bought off me a while ago in Downpatrick?

Gerry

Edited by squire5

[quote name='squire5' post='997410' date='Oct 22 2010, 06:45 PM']That logo looks like the type that are available on Ebay,where you get the entire logo on one piece of paper.Normally you would separate the OCB bit and position it properly,but some just put the whole thing on in one piece.I know,I've used them in the past!

PS Hi Frank.Hows the little Precision you bought off me a while ago in Downpatrick?

Gerry[/quote]

Hi Gerry,

The wee Precision is doing just fine. Has a few gigs under its belt. No one has commented on the logo yet. :)

Great playing and sounding bass. I've set it up with a bit lower action to suit myself and it's superb. The looks are killer too.

Hope everythings well with you.

Frank.