Why become a member? ×

It's taken a while but now I love my Fender P bass

iconic

A funny thing has happended, all of a sudden I realise I'm playing my MIM all the time and it's no longer a 'pain' (as in it was hurting my wrist)....it's a lovely thing to play now I'm used to it and as I'm very shallow, it's so nice to look at too :) and the wife doesn't want to see it sold.
I have to thank Tom, whom I bought it off a few weeks back, having seen a few new ones on Monday (US & MIM) I really do have a peach with nice tight pocket and flawless finish so.....

.....and I said I would never pump money into a bass as I'm not a good enough player.....

.....but by mistake I saw a set of Di Marzio DP 127 pups in silver, they sure would look pretty against the Lake Placid and Maple neck.

I'm not up to speed on aftermarket pups and these have blade pole pieces and are described as being dual humbuckers...'sounds interesting'....anyone know anything about them?

[i]Widen the sound of your gear with a Split P™ pickup. Each half of this unique double-blade P-style pickup is a complete humbucker. Split P™ pickups are EQ'd to expand the range of your bass by extending both low- and high-end response: a great way to get a broader contemporary sound from mid-rangy one-pickup-in-the-middle basses. The double-blade design adds snap for crisp attack and emphasizes cool overtones for big, smooth tone. Blade pole pieces also make the Split P™ very sensitive to finger- and pick-attack. Notes seem to ring longer, especially in the upper registers, as the pickup �hears� the decaying note practically down to a whisper.

Recommended For:

Middle position (standard Fender Precision mounting).

Tech Talk:

The Split P's ability to reproduce both subtle dynamics and the full range of electric bass frequencies is particularly useful with fretless basses and modern bass amps. Biamping will demonstrate this pickup's ability to reproduce top end, but the broad magnetic window of the dual-blade design enables the highs to stay fat and full.

Specifications:

Wiring Standard Four conductor
Magnet Ceramic
Output 250mV
DC Resistance 19.16K
Year of introduction 1979
Patent # 4501185

[/i][b][/b]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='chris_b' post='995608' date='Oct 21 2010, 09:34 AM']These pickups are like chalk and cheese compared to the sound of the pickups in your bass.

If you like the way you’re bass sounds and just want silver pickup covers you can buy some and paint them.[/quote]

chalk and cheese as in how would they sound?

I love mine, they are monster sounding, not much like the stock pickups,

Shame i sold my MIM P with them in!

Mine was Lake placid blue with a maple neck aswell!

They are very boomy buckets of power VERY high output!

Its a Dimarzio, its gonna be awesome :)

Edit:

Also, the blades means you can string bend to your hearts content, if i didn't sell my P-bass i would have probably scalloped the whole neck, gives a good thumpy shred sound xD

Though the 21 frets with a chunky heel stopped some of my more exteme/ridiculous solos, which is why i sold it in the end =/

Edited by AttitudeCastle

I'd leave the stock p'ups... at least until you've put some miles- I mean kilometres ( :) )- in with your bass as-stock. You might get buckets of something good with a slick replacement, but part of the deal with the P is that you get "The Sound", esp in a mix, with the Fender standard issue. Don't be misled by a sound solo'd knocking your socks off, only to find that thing you liked about your P-Bass missing when it's time to do business with it. A less-than-stellar [i]solo bass sound[/i] (i.e., 'bedroom sound') can turn into just what the doctor ordered when heard with your band.

Just .02, from one who's sold/lost/'fixed' and screwed up more basses than I can remember, and now have a stock MIM Precision. Whoa, Nellie...

Edited by Count Bassie