Why become a member? ×

EBS valve drive pedal at Bass show last week

daz

Did anyone have a try of the pedal at the show last week, or even better does anyone use one regularly? Was wondering what they are like? Always someone trying something out every time i went past, so i got no chance to try.

[attachment=61764:valvedrive.jpg]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='994844' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:17 PM']Hmm, surprised there's been no response yet - when I asked about something similar to a Fender tonestack in a pedal, one of the ones I was recommended was this one.[/quote]

I've not tried the EBS pedal myself, but you Delberthot have a lot to answer for!! Certainly more than a couple of times I have found myself pondering the question about said preamp in a pedal format!

[quote name='daz' post='993694' date='Oct 19 2010, 03:57 PM']Did anyone have a try of the pedal at the show last week, or even better does anyone use one regularly? Was wondering what they are like? Always someone trying something out every time i went past, so i got no chance to try.[/quote]

Great pedal, like pretty much the whole range of the EBS pedals. I use the microbass 2 over the valve drive as I am not really into the whole valve thing (for bass at least) but the valve drive does exactly what it says - preamp with a drive togive you the grit. Excellent stuff.

They are expensive mind, it may be worth giving GB Guitars a shout though, as ex distributors of EBS, they probably have some cheaper deals on their (new) old stock...?

I have a Valve drive myself. Its really good as a preamp on low gain settings, it adds a little bit extra to the sound of most solid-state or hybrid heads. On the higher gain settings it works well too, though personally I prefer the EHX English Muff'n for gritty bass overdrive. The EBS one sounds a bit flabby in comparison and lacks a bit of bite naturally in my opinion, though you can pretty much use the eq to get the sound you want. You can swap the tube as well obviously to get a different sound. I don't use mine much to be honest, it might be something that needs to go eventually. Good pedal though.

Hey just saw this post.

I use a valve drive along with a Fulltone Bass Drive. The Valve Drive has two settings: vintage and modern. The vintage tone is maybe not what you may expect in that you still hear your bass sound but with this undertone of dirt. I think its got to do with the way the pedal is designed and how it routes the signal negative feedback loop or some wonderful jargon like that. Its a great sound and really adds fullness to your basic tone. The modern sound is more errm modern! Its more focused and tight and will certainly help you cut through in a live mix. I dont use this pedal for major high gain and I will say that the manual suggested settings didn't work for me at all. I just set if flat ad then moved the controls until it sounded right for what I wanted it to do.

The valve drive is a great pedal for adding dimension to the sound, not just dirt - in that context I use it for adding oomph to certain parts of songs and have it set up to give some grit to the tone along with a bit of a boost to the lows. I normally kick it in when the bass line need to stand out a little more but I have to same I'm always tempted to leave it on all the time :)

In conjunction with a second dirt box it can give a huge bass sound and although expensive I've recently sold my pre amp and use the valve drive along with a DB924 and bass drive into my power amp and it sounds great. Its really handy to be able to carry valve tone in your gig bag and if the amp at your next gig has tha ability to bypass its tone stack you have a valve rig at every show.

BGM review attached
[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:ebs-valve-drive&catid=39:pedals"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...catid=39:pedals[/url]