Why become a member? ×

78 Precision - SOLD

Thornybank

[quote name='Thornybank' post='113945' date='Jan 5 2008, 11:10 AM']Just now, the West of Scotland is big on "Precisions with attitude" so shop on this one tidied - not fully refinned - would be £750+.[/quote]
Don't they have ebay up there with good condition 70's Precisions for £250 less? :) This is £450 max, anything else and your mate is gonna keep his bass I'm afraid.
Chris

The tuners are right - they "transitioned" around then.
My fretless '77 has Fender tuners, so they raised the question for me and I checked that.
If you care what it looks like, or if you are buying to sell on, then it needs a low price.
If you are buying to play, then its a peach.
It would pretty up, if you can be bothered.
The trick as I see it is that you can't tell what she's like in bed from a forum listing....
This one rings just swell.
How much is the '76 from Thunderthumbs? Might be a good reference....

[quote name='Thornybank' post='114260' date='Jan 5 2008, 06:56 PM']How much is the '76 from Thunderthumbs? Might be a good reference....[/quote]

This is a close up of me playing it on New Years Eve

and although I've not advertised in the "For Sale" section, I've answered a couple of "Wanted" posts. As you can see, it's in very good condition, and I am looking at around £800+ for it.

That's a ballpark figure, but I'm hopefully getting it checked out by someone with an awful lot more experience than me so if that happens I can give a more precise figure.

[quote name='Thornybank' post='114260' date='Jan 5 2008, 06:56 PM']The tuners are right - they "transitioned" around then.
My fretless '77 has Fender tuners, so they raised the question for me and I checked that.[/quote]

In the nicest possible way, you might want to check again.

[quote name='Thornybank' post='114260' date='Jan 5 2008, 06:56 PM']The tuners are right - they "transitioned" around then.[/quote]

They transitioned around 1976. The style of tuner you've shown in the picture started being used around the mid 60s, and continued until 1976. They were then replaced by a slightly different shaped tuner made by Schaller. However, and this is the point that was made above, the tuners were always stamped with "Fender", and from the early 70s on, with a Registered mark next to the Fender logo. The tuners on the bass you're selling doesn't have the Fender stamp that people are expecting, and that's why they're questioning them, as well as the fact that for a '78 bass, they're not correct, as they should be the Schaller tuners. Now, of course, it's always possible that the bass you have for some reason had some old stock tuners put on that had sat around the factory for a couple of years (and that's not a complete impossibility), and maybe those tuners just happened not to have had the Fender mark on them (not sure how likely that might be, but who can say with certainty that every single set of tuners was marked). But, they are different from what's expected.

Edited by bassaussie

Unbranded Schallers it is....
Dating Fenders. Not a science, izzit?
The serial is S88xxxx. The first 8 is not bold, but the same weight of type as the rest of the serial. Could be any time from 77-79, I guess. Given it doesn't weigh more than 20st it could be earlier, so the logic on tuners would fit....

[quote name='Thornybank' post='114310' date='Jan 5 2008, 08:08 PM']Unbranded Schallers it is....
Dating Fenders. Not a science, izzit?
The serial is S88xxxx. The first 8 is not bold, but the same weight of type as the rest of the serial. Could be any time from 77-79, I guess. Given it doesn't weigh more than 20st it could be earlier, so the logic on tuners would fit....[/quote]

Nope definitely not a science, just a simple matter of doing some research and knowing your facts.

For instance, this is a picture of a Fender tuner made by Schaller.

..... and that's come from this auction

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-FENDER-1978-PRECISION-JAZZ-BASS-TUNERS-RARE-USA_W0QQitemZ320202643148QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Example of Fender tuners made by Schaller[/url]

You'll notice that this doesn't look a lot like your's, branded or unbranded.

Anyway, good luck with the sale, I'm sure you'll be able to provide all the information any potential buyer may ask for.

Ho

It is aye in Scotland.

has had it just a matter of weeks. He sells top end hifi and plays guitar, so I am guessing it came in trade from a bass playing hifi nut = could have come from anywhere.

Serial is S889056. Doing the shot involves some hassle with phones and the computer (USB challenged) but can do it for a potential buyer....
...izzat u?

Cheers

Hi mate,

If you could get a photo of the serial it would be helpful, but i understand the situation, and to be fair, i'm looking at a lot of basses at the moment, so i'm in no position to commit.

Just one further qustion, from the pictures, it looks to me as though the bridge is a lot more recent, it's really shiny and doesn't appear tarnished in any way, which doesn't appear to be in keeping with the rest of the bass. I just wondered whether you could offer any insight in to this or not?

Thanks
Jamie

Hi

These are the best I can do with my meager telephonic technology. Pretty poor with tiny ser no type, but you know the number....
All the hardware is shiny - the finish issues are Fender polyester things, not abuse - though the back of the neck thing looks like it took a dunt in its past.
Fender, though, so it didn't actually dent the wood or anything "structural".
[attachment=4685:07_01_08_1030.jpg]
[attachment=4686:07_01_08_1035.jpg]
[attachment=4687:07_01_08_1037.jpg]

• 1 month later...