Why become a member? ×

Wealthy bass players

4 candles

There was an interesting interview with Gary Willis in Bass player a while ago where he said that he earns far more from his educational books and his deal with Ibanez than he does from playing music. I suspect the same is true to some degree with Wooten.
The technique versus simple playing debate doesn't really mean that much. Cliff Williams is an incredible (and very rich) player with amazing feel, groove and energy. What the AC/DC rhythm section bring to their music is just as high art as the most complex jazz fusion. CW has probably hardly ever played a note out of place in his career - how many "technical" players could say that? It's perfectly likely that he can slap and tap all over the neck and has learnt the whole of Well tempered Klavier on bass, but because he's such a good musician he chooses not to play any of this where it's not required.

Good topic! I have victors last cd and while I think he is an unreal player I can't listen to more than 2 or 3 songs before I have to turn it off. I also could not sing any tune from the cd off the top of my head.

I have a pop ear, I like a tune with a hook in it even if it means the bass player is playing the same thing over and over and over again! To me ( and it might just be me! ) but that what bass is about. Holding he band together, locking I. With the drums keeping the back bone right on the money.
Think chic mr Edwards play amazing lines but they are all lines we could sing off the top of our heads. Sir paul the same. To me a great player is one who can do both be an amazing player but also cross over I to commercial side and still have us want to play his lines!
I envy victors skill And knowledge but I still can't listen to the whole cd

There is a kid in my town that everybody thinks is a cool player and someday he will pick up a guitar and realize thats what he has been trying to play all along

[quote name='swanbrook' post='991795' date='Oct 17 2010, 11:24 PM']Good topic! I have victors last cd and while I think he is an unreal player I can't listen to more than 2 or 3 songs before I have to turn it off. I also could not sing any tune from the cd off the top of my head.

I have a pop ear, I like a tune with a hook in it even if it means the bass player is playing the same thing over and over and over again! To me ( and it might just be me! ) but that what bass is about. Holding he band together, locking I. With the drums keeping the back bone right on the money.
Think chic mr Edwards play amazing lines but they are all lines we could sing off the top of our heads. Sir paul the same. To me a great player is one who can do both be an amazing player but also cross over I to commercial side and still have us want to play his lines!
I envy victors skill And knowledge but I still can't listen to the whole cd

There is a kid in my town that everybody thinks is a cool player and someday he will pick up a guitar and realize thats what he has been trying to play all along[/quote]

+1 to all of that in fact did I already mention CW or was that another thread? Anyway like I said +1