Why become a member? ×

Superstition

northstreet

When I play it I'm guilty for playing the main riff, BUT we don't have a keys player and the guit*rist couldn't get his head around it, so I just stuck it on a slight delay and did some doubling as well. It was always a hitter until I quit the band just over a week ago :)

As for playing it in E, it doesn't sound right either, but I can't comment on feel as we all tuned half a step down to compensate for the singer's dire vocals...so does that count? :lol:

[quote name='goblin' post='989169' date='Oct 15 2010, 01:37 PM']When I play it I'm guilty for playing the main riff, BUT we don't have a keys player and the guit*rist couldn't get his head around it, so I just stuck it on a slight delay and did some doubling as well. It was always a hitter until I quit the band just over a week ago :)[/quote]

Hey goblin, thanks for the info. That's exactly the reason I'm playing the riff. You talk abut 'delay' and 'doubling'. Could you please treat me like I'm a total novice when it comes to effects and explain it to me really simply. Is it as easy as wandering into the local music shop and buying an effects box, or is there something more complicated involved?

Hey northstreet, basically delay can be found in most effects units, just use that, but as a slap back (can't remember the settings I use). As for doubling, it's just playing each note twice in quick succession. It's tricky, but sounds good when it works.

I'm at the stage with it where I just don't use the delay line anymore. Can't be arsed carrying a Pod around for one song, and it makes it slightly easier to play. However, I'm not into emulating the exact sound. I'd joing a tribute band if I wanted to do that!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='990468' date='Oct 16 2010, 06:32 PM']I'm going to go against the flow... Play it in E and play the main riff on the bass inc' the horn section! :)[/quote]

damn tootin brother, i play in a 3 piece, its up to me to keep the main riff going and play the horn section part to keep the song going at all times, especially when the guitarist does any solos.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='990468' date='Oct 16 2010, 06:32 PM']I'm going to go against the flow... Play it in E and play the main riff on the bass inc' the horn section! :lol:[/quote]

so do I now I've quit the band where the singer was so bad we had to tune down half a step to make things a lil easier on the ear :)

What's wrong with keeping the 4's groove going through any solos? If the number sags when the solos start then you're not playing the groove right!

All other instruments, except bass and drums, should be able to stop and the "feel" should carry on regardless.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='990968' date='Oct 17 2010, 11:14 AM']What's wrong with keeping the 4's groove going through any solos? If the number sags when the solos start then you're not playing the groove right!

All other instruments, except bass and drums, should be able to stop and the "feel" should carry on regardless.[/quote]

it sounds good the way i do it.

[quote name='toneknob' post='988839' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:54 AM']Something you don't hear on Stevie's version: listen to the "horns only" track on the above link, 0m28s in. Bless you![/quote]

That 'horns only' track is uber-cool. I've run it through an mp3 editor and it's now my ringtone. :)

[quote name='northstreet' post='988404' date='Oct 14 2010, 08:36 PM']My covers band wants to do Superstition (aiming for something close to the Stevie Wonder version) but we're struggling with the main riff - we just can't get that sound. Any ideas on how I could get close on my bass? It's a Geddy Lee Jazz with roundwounds going through a Hartke LH500 and a pair of 15" cabs. I guess I'm going to need an effects box of some description, but I'm not sure where to start. Any (relevant) suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

The riff is mainly played on a keyboard the bass just goes duh, duh, duh, duh, dud-dud-der-dah (hehehe) motown thump. I guess you could play the main riff on a guitar with the thump of the bass in the back ground.