Why become a member? ×

Nasty scare with left hand

Clarky

You were right farmer61, Guns n Roses did not make my day go any better. Axl's voice has gone, they had four (yes four) lead guitarists and two keyboard players, and the main guitarist stood there legs astride, guitar up at 45 degrees, wearing a top hat, playing a Les Paul, and smoking a cigarette - they must have chosen him from a Stars in Your Eyes Slash-alike contest. Deeply underwhelming and got home at 12.30am, with my alarm going off this morning at 5am.

I'm sure the medical text books don't recommend this as a way to recover from broken bones :)

PS, for bass nerd purposes, the GnR bassist was mainly playing a couple of Fender Jaguars and a Fender-alike P/J

Thank all for the good wishes

Update: I managed a 3-hour rehearsal with the new band this afternoon using an electric bass (my lovely new Fender Pino, yummy) and two fingers! Took some forethought for several tracks but it was do-able and I even got commended at the end for "holding the band together". So I passed the test and now I can rest the hand for a few days.

And another first, I did the rehearsal finger-style, having previously been a pick only player. Just that short time playing DB has obviously increased my right hand strength significantly (no lewd comments!).

[quote name='Clarky' post='991376' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:08 PM']Thank all for the good wishes

Update: I managed a 3-hour rehearsal with the new band this afternoon using an electric bass (my lovely new Fender Pino, yummy) and two fingers! Took some forethought for several tracks but it was do-able and I even got commended at the end for "holding the band together". So I passed the test and now I can rest the hand for a few days.

And another first, I did the rehearsal finger-style, having previously been a pick only player. Just that short time playing DB has obviously increased my right hand strength significantly (no lewd comments!).[/quote]

Good news about the practice, never indoubt!!!

Shame about GnR, never did like 'em tbh.

[quote name='Clarky' post='991376' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:08 PM']Thank all for the good wishes

And another first, I did the rehearsal finger-style, having previously been a pick only player. Just that short time playing DB has obviously increased my right hand strength significantly (no lewd comments!).[/quote]

Well the Fracture clinic took more x-rays this morning and there has been no movement/displacement of the fractures (despite my rehearsal y'day which I of course omitted to mention!) so all on track. Prognosis is 4 weeks recovery time for finger and 6 weeks for the hand bone (metacarpal). Apparently I am not to play DB in that period ... they didn't mention electric bass though :)