Why become a member? ×

Leather Plectrums

Found some on this website: [url="http://ukulele-plectrums.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=162"]http://ukulele-plectrums.co.uk/index.php?m...products_id=162[/url]

I like the look of these; I've always cringed at the sound of a plastic plectrum against my strings, especially when you can hear that clicky sound through the amp.

Does anyone have any experience with these or know anything? Feel, sound etc.

cheers

i have some old thick (like 4mm) rubber pick that came with my 1st bass. always hated them because there was no note definition, much prefer using my fingers and a pick for songs that are better suited for the sound / better attack. I can't imagine the leather ones being much different to be honest, but its all about personal preference, you might love them.

Years ago you could buy thick felt plectrums. They didn't sound very good, so if you really want a pick sound, I guess that the regular ones are the best.

You could try adding a little bass to cut down some of the pick noise, or play a bit closer to the neck.

I used to use a piece of electrical tape, wrapped up to quite a thickness, and cut into what shape you like - no clickedy click sounds, but I still prefer the sound of your fingers, but they were pretty good for me!

Plus you can use loads of different colours! If you like them, PM me please - I might show off a few of mine :)

What picks have you tried so far?

IME every pick sounds different. Both the material and size of the pick will alter the sound you get out of the bass.

I normally use Herco Flex 75s - they're largish quite thick nylon picks. Occasionally I've had to borrow a pick from one of the guitarists I play with at a rehearsal which tend to be smaller, thinner and made of hard plastic and give a completely different sound.

I'd try all the easily available picks at your local musical instrument shop before looking at the more esoteric stuff.