Why become a member? ×

Which Strings do you use?

AndyTravis

Used Roto's since Methusalah was a lad.
Ordered some Status Flatwound, got them the day after ordered (brilliant service Status, many thanks)
Strings are wonderful, really giving the P some thump, and not ridiculous tension either.
Very happy, :) will try some more Status strings in the near future.

Karl.

After using 2 new basses which have different peg configs, and therefore having to buy new strings for the first time in ages, I experimented with various brands other than DR and although I can easily get along with some strings sound and feel-wise, it was noticable to me that none of them cleaned up as well as DR's.
Not only do some strings have silk winds which don't survive well..whereas DR's don't have those winds at all, but DR's soak and clean so much better.

I maintain that I can get 5 or 6 cleans out of a typical pair of DR's whereas some brands are shot after 2 or 3.
It is most noticable on the B strings. I think I have good B strings on all my basses from a tone/construction POV, so it is easy to hear that some makes of B string don't clean up well.

I like Daddario XL strings for example, fuller sounding than DR's, not that I find adding bass a problem anyway but the DR's have a better balanced sound across string, IMV so ying and yang,
..but they ( XL's) are only good for a couple of cleans, IME.

My basses are currently strung with Rotosound roundwounds. (105/85/65/45 on my Yamaha & 105/80/65/45 on my Steinberger.) Sound good, not too pricey & British company. I also have a set of Picato strings too, which are 105-45. Bought these in a music shop in Cornwall after yaking with the owner, who was alos a bass player and gave them the thumbs up. They're British made too in think.(In case anyone should think this sounds jingoistic at all, I use Ernie Balls on my guitars.)

I used Elites for years, until I noticed that they could actually lose their newness in just days if used regularly.

I now use Warwick EMPs on my 5 string: 40-125 gauge. I like beign able to have a coated string without going to thick. They last 6 months of regular use easily.

I've got some coloured DRs for my fretless as I don't mind going thicked on that one. I've ordered some 30-90 Rotosound Funkmasters for my 4 string to transform it into a slap machine. Wil see how they go...