Why become a member? ×

Audio comparisons....

LukeFRC

While I have all these basses here I thought I would do a wee recording and share...

Recorded onto garageband through a cable designed for plugging a digital camera or camcorder into the tv and getting sound, it sounds a bit wierd, had a tendancy to over drive on the warwick and not work at all on the valenti without the preamp in.

I appolagise for my playing too, along with a drummer or with a band my timing is fine, without well.... on one of the basses my hand is still not quite used to the neck.

So all tones set flat or open, both pickups on if that is an option....shoddy playing ....

1- Fender FSR 75ri jazz
2- Warwick streamer 91
3- JV Squier 57ri precision ,
4- Valenti number 42 jazz

hmmm on the squier i seen to have lot of relief in the neck, i prefer the feel of the fender too as i've just added more relief.... i seem to hit the strings pretty hard, is lots of relief ok? my first bass had a reasonbly curvy neck too (it didn't seem to want to go any straighter) so is it this is just what i'm used too?
Conversely the valenti is a lot more normal and set up great... is it just my bad set up?

i would guess it's just short of 1mm on the squier...

all sounded very nice Luke......thanks for posting..

got to say i loved the RI Fender. the growl is undeniable.....Warwick more woody and compressed but good.. The Squire was really good, love the mids...the Valenti was a mid between the Warwick and the Squire...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='979932' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:39 PM']hmmm on the squier i seen to have lot of relief in the neck, i prefer the feel of the fender too as i've just added more relief.... i seem to hit the strings pretty hard, is lots of relief ok? my first bass had a reasonbly curvy neck too (it didn't seem to want to go any straighter) so is it this is just what i'm used too?
Conversely the valenti is a lot more normal and set up great... is it just my bad set up?

i would guess it's just short of 1mm on the squier...[/quote]

I would imagine the Valenti is set up pretty good, depending on other factors..but out the factory they are sh*t hot..also depending on where you got the bass and what climate changes its gone through.... im guessing your hitting the string pretty hard on the other basses because of the height of the strings from the fret board...or its your technique.. which doesnt mean its bad..just the way you roll

i think you got to go with whats more comfortable...im not an expert, but i remember selling my Jazz 24 to a friend and he had his strings quite high..i set it up for him at a fairly good height and he said he loved it a little lower...he could play faster and it was more comfortable...

i think you can get used to an instruments setup because thats what your used to!.., and if you dont know how to set a bass up, its what you know and become acustom to.... you dont know until you try....experiment with the basses string height and learn what you like... lessons on setting up a bass online, are your friend...

my point is Luke there is no right or wrong...but until you experiment you wont know whats right or wrong for you good man...

Edited by bubinga5

worked it out.... yes my technique tends to hit the strings had with the left hand needing a fairly high action. the jazz i was having problems setting up because i forgot the microtilt thing on the neck plate..... playing with it now....

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='979957' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:02 PM']worked it out.... yes my technique tends to hit the strings had with the left hand needing a fairly high action. the jazz i was having problems setting up because i forgot the microtilt thing on the neck plate..... playing with it now....[/quote]
i would forget about the micro tilt for now buddy..thats for...well......micro tilting......adjust the truss rod first and see what that does...i always go for the bridge or the truss rod first....if that doest give you the feel you want..then go for micro tilt or shimming on a non 75 fender...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='979965' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:09 PM']i would forget about the micro tilt for now buddy..thats for...well......micro tilting......adjust the truss rod first and see what that does...i always go for the bridge or the truss rod first....if that doest give you the feel you want..then go for micro tilt or shimming on a non 75 fender...[/quote]

there was quite a bit of tilt in it already, thats why i couldn't get it feeling right, taken it out now and it's getting better.... intonate!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='979983' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:26 PM']if it feelin good..its playing good...[/quote]
oh wow, it's gone from being slightly strange and new to fitting my hand like a, well a glove, a bass guitar glove

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='980017' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:56 PM']every bass had it's own unique tone .. but I must admit that (not being biased haha) the Valenti sounded really nice :)[/quote]

to be honest, i think apart from the warwick somehow overdriving, the valenti was the most surprising.
it has a fairly high output even passive so that was me playing at half volume and boosting later.
also the fenders both have new fat beams, the warwick oldish high beams and the valenti the thinner ones it came with, played a wee bit harder, and with the preamp just tweeking the bass up a wee bit, it sounds amazing.

The difference is, even though i've a feeling the valenti is the better bass, the fender jazz feels like 'my bass' also the 70's pickup spacing means it compliments the 50's style p bass well once ive sold the valenti and warwick and only have the two

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='980044' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:24 PM']The difference is, even though i've a feeling the valenti is the better bass, the fender jazz feels like 'my bass' also the 70's pickup spacing means it compliments the 50's style p bass well once ive sold the valenti and warwick and only have the two[/quote]

I know that feeling. I know that my Vigier and my Sadowsky are much 'better' basses than my Precision, the Precision will always be 'my' bass, whereas the other ones are really nice basses that I just happen to own.

[quote name='thodrik' post='980059' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:39 PM']I know that feeling. I know that my Vigier and my Sadowsky are much 'better' basses than my Precision, the Precision will always be 'my' bass, whereas the other ones are really nice basses that I just happen to own.[/quote]

strange isn't it?
hopefully i won't own the valenti much longer, or the warwick though im less hopefull on that!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='980079' date='Oct 7 2010, 12:01 AM']Thodrik, do you prefer the P bass to the higher priced basses you own...im always fascinated to hear..

got any pics of the Valenti Luke?[/quote]

sure do.

very pretty, sounds an plays great, and i mean great. It's in another leauge compared to the red sadowsky metro in guitar guitar in glasgow, but it's not for me. I don't like the active sound which is why i started looking at jazzes. This was at a amazing price so i got it knowing i could sell it on if i didn't like it. It's lovely and confirmed that a jazz was the way forward but an active one wasn't really.
Actually having said that if Andytravis hadn't put a particular bass i was already excited about up for salei would have probably just learned to love this, as it is I doubt i'll ever own a more 'high end' bass.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='980101' date='Oct 7 2010, 12:26 AM']What are you using to record Luke?

Audacity seems to compress the sh*te out of anything i'm throwing at it...[/quote]

garageband. it's not as awful as you think it would be. it liked the pod i used to have and got some pretty good recordings, this is just through the line in.

in fact, apart from the '75 pics of all the basses i've used here, plus a few more. [url="http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/"]http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/[/url]
honestly- have you seen a prettier squier?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='bubinga5' post='980079' date='Oct 7 2010, 12:01 AM']Thodrik, do you prefer the P bass to the higher priced basses you own...im always fascinated to hear..

got any pics of the Valenti Luke?[/quote]

Well, in a way, yes. Its more of a sentimental attachment though, since I've had the Fender for ten years and it was my first 'real' bass when I was 14. Its a 1978 model, and I picked it up for £380 quid (how times change!). To be honest, it plays as well as any bass I've played in terms of the neck and action, including my other basses. It has issues, like the finish on the neck is starting to wear, somebody cut the scratch plate in half in order to make it easier to fix electronics problems (it needed some serious soldering when I got it) the pickups are pretty low in output and the tone pot crackles. Its pretty much immaculate otherwise...

I do every gig I have with the Sadowsky, sometimes the Vigier, because of the superior build quality, better pickups and increased tonal variety on the bass and ease of getting a nice sound with too much fiddling with eq, pedals, that I generally had with the Precision. The Fender is also heavy as hell, and I didn't feel comfortable taking it on the road/to gigs with me in case something happened to it.

I could (but obviously don't want to) sell the Vigier or the Sadowsky Metro, because I'm confident that their quality is of a standard that most Vigiers and Sadowskys are really good, so I wouldn't have to look far to find another 'good one'.I don't think I could sell the Fender though, as I don't think I would find another like it. I think if you happen to get a 'good' Fender, especially an older one, its well worth keeping.

I would probably take a Sadowsky, Vigier or a Valenti over a new Fender Precision every time, but not over 'my' Fender.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='980121' date='Oct 7 2010, 01:09 AM']My favourite was the squier[/quote]

yeah, it probably is easily my favourite to play too, it sounds imense.
Unlike thodrik i find i can take it anywhere and plug it in, with or without amp and it sounds great. two controls, wide open...
you gotta love a good JV squier