Why become a member? ×

Something to play along to...

Jigster

can anyone recommend any digital doo das that are good for plugging into and just noodling to a drum track with - I'm not talking anything majorly expensive. I used to have a Boss BR600 which was an 8 track recorder with stacks of drum patterns on that was cool for this and I regret selling it.

- alternatively, are there any software packages with drum loops/patterns that i can buy and install on a Mac Pro?

Thanks for any info

[quote name='Jigster' post='979086' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:15 AM']can anyone recommend any digital doo das that are good for plugging into and just noodling to a drum track with - I'm not talking anything majorly expensive. I used to have a Boss BR600 which was an 8 track recorder with stacks of drum patterns on that was cool for this and I regret selling it.

- alternatively, are there any software packages with drum loops/patterns that i can buy and install on a Mac Pro?

Thanks for any info[/quote]

I just use the radio, useful when the PC's on the fritz!

If you fancy making your own simple loops, then try a 'looper' pedal! (ok, there's a cost involved). I use the Digitech JamMan that does allow you to record or 'install' drum loops on it. Or, you can just make your own with a microphone or by say, slapping away on the instrument. I'm going to do a video soon with some looping examples but here's the first one I grabbed off the Choob by someone else..

My JamMan allows me to record to a click I can set up - but I usually use the bass to make up some interesting drum sounds by tapping pickups or scraping the strings. Once the loop is playing I can practice bass lines, solos or theory ideas like modes, for example.

One more if you want to download another freebie, if a bit of an oldie.
Lots of old school Techno, Hip-Hop, Jungle, etc presets, but you can tailor it pretty much as you like.
[url="http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/"]http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/[/url]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='979523' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:53 PM']Oh, you little beauty! That's the first one I've seen that allows you to freely select the pattern length. 19/16, here I come!

:)[/quote]

That's ace! I love it actually!