Why become a member? ×

Which Vintage Precision Pickup ?

Nostromo

Hi everyone,

Im about to upgrade the pickup on my mongrel precision bass (the one listed below in my gear list) - the pickup currently fitted is of unknown origin but is very very loud/high output and very "low/middle" sounding tone wise and the tone control isnt really doing anything to give it any decent top end ? . . so, whatever its origin, I suspect its a heavily overwound pickup and it certainly lacks the top end and overall clarity that I associate with a more vintage precision pickup ?

So, before I take the plunge and make a purchase I thought I'd check out your thoughts on a good upgrade choice ?

Im looking for a simple strightforward Vintage P Bass sound for a blues / rock context.

I had been thinking of getting the Seymour Duncan Vintage for Precision Bass - SPB-1 . . . . . but thought I'd ask are there any other pickups out there that people would recommend I check out or read up on before I make my purchase ?

Cheers,

:)

I use a mix of Wizard Trads, Seymour Duncan SPB-1 & the SD Antiquity range in my P-basses for a more vintage vibe. The Wizard stuff gets raved about a lot but in my mind SD just pips it. That said the UK stock is low right now & I've had an SPB-1 on order for a while now (about 3wk wait). I'd also agree with Ou7shined in trying a different tone capacitor. There is a guy on EBay who sells decent vintage spec ones. And I take it that you have experimented with your amp settings?

i have a mix of lindy fralin, wizard thumper and a jason lollar. they are all slightly different, but I find the best is the lollar

TBH I always thought there was an element of snake oil in the really expensive picks ups but the lollar [which i got here from delberthot] is great

Thanks for the tips so far received everyone . . . keep em' coming if you know of anything else I ought to check out to get that vintage precision vibe ?

And as suggested I will look into the cap . . . but I'm gona change the pickup anyway, as the one fitted really has got that thick overwound muddy sound that I dont like that much.

Thanks everyone,

:)

[quote name='Nostromo' post='976211' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:01 PM']Thanks for the tips so far received everyone . . . keep em' coming if you know of anything else I ought to check out to get that vintage precision vibe ?

And as suggested I will look into the cap . . . but I'm gona change the pickup anyway, as the one fitted really has got that thick overwound muddy sound that I dont like that much.[/quote]
I wanted to share a couple of tips as I've been searching for a vintage vibe too. The danger with the "chat" aspect of Basschat is that one persons "woody" is another person's "muddy" and without soundclips it's not always easy to get across what players mean.

Ultimately it's a combination of things that help go towards a vintage precision vibe. I use a vintage Fender Bassman tube head through a 1x15 cab. I've had some nice tones out of 4x10 but the 1x15 seems to get that vibe for me. It's a fine line though and I also occasionally just take out a 2x10 which can also deliver a great tone.

In terms of the P-bass the pickup does make a difference (& I think you are right, you've made your mind up to change it and you should). The change from roundwound to flatwounds was also one of the biggest changes in my tone. I held off doing this for over 10yrs and I now view that as a waste of 10yrs. I started off as a plectrum player who rested my hand on the bridge. About 12 years ago I moved to playing between the pickup and the neck with my fingers and this again was a huge difference in tone. I now also use the volume and tone controls on my bass a lot more (I always used to be 10/10). A recent addition has been foam under the strings by the bridge. This is hidden as I use ashtray covers. The foam is a James Jamerson trick. And of course the aforementioned tone cap too.

Of course you can mix it up and I did a session recently where I used a pick (the guy from R.E.M. uses a pick with flatwounds) so it's just a case of experimenting with stuff and finding what works for you.