Why become a member? ×

What does Fender Non export mean?

FLoydElgar

It was meant for the Japanese home market and as such in agreement with Fender(I take it,its a Fender)is not to be officially exported from Japan,they do get here in volume and attract a slkightly higher price than the MIJ & CIJ,,,some are in less usual colours etc

T

[quote name='FLoydElgar' post='975779' date='Oct 3 2010, 10:27 AM']So in a way its like having a made in usa just from Japan?
Quality wise, speaking!

Thanks for the info![/quote]

All the MIJ / CIJ Fenders I've played have been excellent quality - whether export or non-export.

The non-export simply means that Fender Japan can only sell them new in Japan. They are not officially exported to the US or Europe, meaning they're harder to come by. They tend to be desirable reissues, or slightly unusual takes on the Jazz and Precision format. A cynic might suspect that Fender are worried they wouldn't sell as many US models if the non-export CIJ models were freely available in Europe and the US...

There are places who import used examples, but they do tend to attract a bit of a premium.

[quote name='simon1964' post='975874' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:09 PM']All the MIJ / CIJ Fenders I've played have been excellent quality - whether export or non-export.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. It has been said that the export aren't quite as good as the non export but I can't say I have ever noticed. It's all good

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='975897' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:31 PM']My thoughts exactly. It has been said that the export aren't quite as good as the non export but I can't say I have ever noticed. It's all good[/quote]

It seems to me this is one of those things that has just become folk lore, and gives credit to an non export instrument over a another not intended for it, regardless of any real difference

Be nice to hear from someone who has real in depth knowledge of the business

have a look on GAK, Thomann and the like, or even the fender website
anything made in japan there is made for export.

now look at guitar emporium and ishibashi.jp (not the english one, the second or third one on the menu bar is bass and from then fender japan is easy to see)
thoes basses, they are the not for export ones.

jap fenders are normally excellent. but be aware they do make a range, so try to check that what you are buying is worth what the price.

for instance a J62OCR model is a 62 reissue jazz bass in old candy apple red, Basswood body with jap pups, the J62OCR-US has an alder body and USA pups.
Obviously at various points they have made different combinations!

As to which is better, export or non-export, they are different, i day say the jap standard jazz isn't as good as an export geddy lee jazz but a noexport 75ri-us would be nicer. who knows? But from what i've read the export ones aren't supposed to be so good.

(except the JV basses where the exported squier range was better than all but the top model domestic fender.)