Why become a member? ×

Fender Us 62ri

davidak

I bought this one few weeks ago, and I think it could be the ONE(until next gas attack :) )

It is made in 1997 in US, they haven't called them American Vintage those day. Just RI.

It was obviously played quite often, it is kinda roadworned. But in very nice way, just the state when you're not afraid of next dings and can call it player's bass. I don't feel comfortable when playing on mint basses, so this one is right for me.

I play in southern rock/blues/RnR band and it fits there so perfect. One of the best basses I owned, that classic alder jazzbass tone makes me smile every time I hit the string. Perfect Jaco tone on the bridge pickup. I've owned many basses before, US Fenders, US Laklands, Spectors, Musicmans.. and this simple JB interface is something special. You can concentrate only to your playing, there's no EQ so you have to shape your tone with your fingers. I don't say I don't like active circuits(I've had many of them before), but that passive tone is so magical and juicy.

Compared to US 75RI I had, 62 is more polite sounding, fuller and less aggressive. IMO, 75 jazzbass is more for soloing, slap and funk music, 62 has better vintage vibe, it has not that Miller's modern JB sound, but works better in a mix. I felt strange in a band when playing on 75, bass was placed just too much over other instruments. Don't know if it is more due to 70' pickup position or body wood, but that is what I feel. 75 is great instrument, but not for my needs at the moment.

Did I mention, that stacked knob control plate looks really cool? :lol:

and other pics here: [url="http://gdavidak.rajce.idnes.cz/Fender_US_62RI_Jazz_Bass/"]http://gdavidak.rajce.idnes.cz/Fender_US_62RI_Jazz_Bass/[/url]

Edited by davidak

[quote name='davidak' post='970551' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:14 PM']Don't know if it is more due to 70' pickup position or body wood, but that is what I feel. 75 is great instrument, but not for my needs at the moment.[/quote]

this is exactly what I would like to know :)
I prefer the look of 75 series over 62, block inlays are cool no matter if on rosewood or maple board, but I would like to settle down a bit with my tone (i have mij 75ri ash/maple). what´s the way?...alder?...pickup spacing?...

very nice bass davidak, congrats :lol:

• 3 months later...

Nice Bass :) .....I owned one of these about 12 years ago....I still think today it was the Nicest,Fastest,Easiest & Coolest looking basses I've had the pleasure of owning....... So what happened !! I was seriously strapped for cash and put the Jazz and a few other bits of gear up for sale and the Jazz went within a couple of days :) Only about 3 years ago did I find out that the one I had,which was see through White with Gold Hardware was actually a limited edition 'Mary Kaye' model :lol: .......How I'd love that one back....It went down to the South Coast....Gosport ??? Southsea ??? somewhere like that. I just hope who has it is enjoying it ! How could they not enjoy it ,Just wish I'd taken a picture of it even,to this day I've never seen another one !