Why become a member? ×

Sterling Ray 34 - Stingray from the Far East

stingrayfan

Had my Sterling Ray 34 (Indo-made Stingray) for a few gigs and rehearsals now and I feel I can give a reasoned take on it.

First up, yes I [i]know[/i] I could have got a secondhand US one for the same money as I paid new for this (£560) and I [i]know[/i] it would have held its money better, but I used to own/gig a US SR4 and never got on with it. It was clunky to play, weighed a ton and the neck (to me) felt like a tree trunk. It went for half a dozen setups and never came back right.

This however (after a truss rod tweak and a DIY setup) now feels lovely and sounds great. We did a gig in a huge officers' mess dining hall last night and through my Hartke LH500 and Warwick 4x10, it sounded beautiful. Creamy with that Stingray bite, but with great highs and definition on the G-string (a known SR4 weakness). Pickup on this is not American but it is punchy and smooth, with no top end "clank" that I used to get. EQ is maybe a little less dramatic than the US variant but still does the job well. The neck is smooth and fast to play (feels more satin than the original) and feels far less chunky than the one I used to have on the SR4.

Couple of cons however: the paintwork aint a patch on the US version. This is already picking up light scratches and proving hard to polish. The hardware isn't quite as good as it should be. Ok at first glance but looks a bit lacking, close up. And the bass doesn't come with a hard case (you get padded gig bag). But then neither did my G&L Tribute, so I'm splitting hairs here. It says "set-up in the USA" when you buy it. Take that as, 'put in a box in the USA' because the set-up was awful. But after a DIY set-up, as above, and some lemon oil on the fingerboard, it was sorted).

I think gigging does show up a bass for what it is though and so far, it's proving to be brilliant for what I need it for (fairly busy function cover band). It maybe goes to show that it doesn't really matter what is on the headstock (even if it is colour-matched :) ) or where it is made, but it's more about does it feel great, does it sound great and does it do the job? It's yes to all three, so far.

Not my pic, but for illustration:

Edited by stingrayfan

I loved mine when i had it. I think i did about 15+ gigs with it. I didnt have any problems with the paintwork though.
I did change the pup on mine due to the G string sounding a bit weak but i felt although the new pup was nice (a Nordy MM4.2) it lost some of its character.

I got mine after owning a Sub for a few months. I thought it would be a nice upgrade and i wasnt disappointed. I think i prefer 2 EQ to 3 but i certainly didnt find the tone lacking. In fact it sounded warmer than i expected, which was good as we play quite a bit of Motown and i use a pick.

I sold mine because i just couldn't get on 100% with the neck. I much prefer jazz sized necks.
I fancy trying a SB14 next but thats something for next year maybe.

Heres a pic of mine (still with the stock pup)

Edited by dave_bass5

so, is the neck slimmer than a SR4, lik the first poster suggests, or like a SR4, as the second one suggests? Or is there a large variation between individual necks?

If I found a Stingray/SR4 with a slim neck I'd be disappointed... part of the "charm" is a certain feel, which means the neck must be maybe not exactly chunky, but certainly not slim.

[quote name='mcnach' post='969257' date='Sep 27 2010, 11:03 AM']so, is the neck slimmer than a SR4, lik the first poster suggests, or like a SR4, as the second one suggests? Or is there a large variation between individual necks?

If I found a Stingray/SR4 with a slim neck I'd be disappointed... part of the "charm" is a certain feel, which means the neck must be maybe not exactly chunky, but certainly not slim.[/quote]

I didnt suggest anything. I just said i couldn't get on with it. Im the same with a P neck as well. I've only ever played a SR4 for about 5mins in a shop so cant say how it differers. It did feel different to the Sub though. The Sub neck felt easier to play for some reason, although i didnt like the painted neck.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969756' date='Sep 27 2010, 05:43 PM']Im not being an arse but I read the just paid £560! bit and stopped reading,But if your happy then thats all that matters at the end of the day. :)[/quote]
So I spose same goes for buying a Lakland Skyline, G&L Tribute or Mex or Jap Fender?

If you could buy the full fat version secondhand any of those models you stated for only £100 more then its exactly the same but you cant can you?

Do you get a proper hard case with the Sterling basses as they fetch over £100 every time on Ebay which leaves you on par but with your (By your own admission) lesser standard hardware and poorer paint finish.

Sorry just reread the OP and I see you dont get a case,Nuff said for me on value for money but like I said Im not being an arse but you can see my point surely? There are EBMM's in the F/S section right now which prove my point 100% all with a hard case that you could sell on and be quids in and I know you made the point yourself that long term there is no argument on whats going to worth the most.

We have done this argument a 100 times on basschat but I suppose I will get the grief because I was first to raise it this time!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969884' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:13 PM']We have done this argument a 100 times on basschat but I suppose I will get the grief because I was first to raise it this time![/quote]
I totally see where you're coming from and I agree with the logic. But I simply couldn't get on with my US SR4 and yet this feels right. It's odd but, there you go! :lol:

I spose I should add that perhaps I am a bit odd as I had a US G&L and preferred the Tribute and an American Fender and didn't get on with it either! :)

I know what you mean, I struggle with USA fender basses and not found one that has made me fall in love and these Sterling Rays are getting a great buyer feedback its just if you put it on paper and showed the calculations to the wife and tried to explain it you would have a hard time! :)

The main thing and only important factor is that you like it and are happy with it,If you look at it another way-Keep it for 10 years and sell it for £200 to buy a real one :) thats only £36 a year and you still have the gigbag! :lol: Sounds better that way doesnt it?

looks like this thread has gone the same way as every other SBMM thread. How boring.
And ive yet to see a SR4 with matching headstock for anywhere near the cost of a second hand Ray34, or even new.

Funny how a Lakland Duck Dunn or JO never gets slated as costing more than a Fender MIA, yet they come out of the same factory as the SBMM and cost around £300 more.

Edited by dave_bass5

I'm confused. This review (which I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time out to write btw) seems to applaud the 34 for being a compromise on all but tone which you prefer over the real Stingray tone (which I guess means that you simply don't like the stingray tone. What is your stingray tone anyway? You are selling an Aria which you say does a good stingray tone... I digress) and the neck which is better but the same but different. And the basis of comparison for the review is against a rogue Stingray that obviously had issues (it had 6 "setups" which couldn't fix it - I suggest it needed more than "set-ups").
I am genuinely interested in the SBMM because I am a big fan of SUBs and 'rays and I'm interested in knowing where the 34 sits in the equation - I suspect it is a huge step up from the OLP but still under the SUB but haven't heard it said yet. I don't see myself ever getting one as I am very happy with the real deal (and have self-built something which, on the QT may even rival it). I am happy for you that you like it over a 'ray but I just can't work out why.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='969947' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:51 PM']looks like this thread has gone the same way as every other SBMM thread. How boring.
And ive yet to see a SR4 with matching headstock for anywhere near the cost of a second hand Ray34, or even new.

Funny how a Lakland Duck Dunn or JO never gets slated as costing more than a Fender MIA, yet they come out of the same factory as the SBMM and cost around £300 more.[/quote]

Boring or logical?

£560 with no hard case worth at least £100,worse hardware,worse paint finish,None US pickup when an EBMM (sorry if its without a matching headstock!) for as little £640 on ebay in recent times to me has to be worth a mention.I know nothing of the models you mentioned but to me its still a bad finacial deal, Thats no dissing the bass in its own right just the facts.Do you dispute any of those facts?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I give you exhibit A.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-STINGRAY-3EQ-bass-guitar-Music-Man-/220673976276?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item336131a7d4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-...=item336131a7d4[/url]
I surprised myself with that one! looks a beauty for £680!

Im not trying to *iss on the parade but you get my point, Sorry the headstock is not matching.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969989' date='Sep 27 2010, 08:28 PM']I give you exhibit A.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-STINGRAY-3EQ-bass-guitar-Music-Man-/220673976276?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item336131a7d4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-...=item336131a7d4[/url]
I surprised myself with that one! looks a beauty for £680!

Im not trying to *iss on the parade but you get my point, Sorry the headstock is not matching.[/quote]
Can I claim my uber-nerd prize for spotting the P bass reflection? :)

I dont want to ruin this thread but that really does look a nice Ray for the money to me, I thought it was a 30th from the little image on ebay as I scrolled down.If it had of been it would of been mine all mine by now!

Just needs a tin of trans red paint for the headstock.........

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='969947' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:51 PM']looks like this thread has gone the same way as every other SBMM thread. How boring.

Funny how a Lakland Duck Dunn or JO never gets slated as costing more than a Fender MIA, yet they come out of the same factory as the SBMM and cost around £300 more.[/quote]
+1 these SBMMs do seem to get bashed. Here's the bottom line, my current Ray34 sounds better and plays better than my old US 3 band 'Ray, which is why I bought it. YMMV. FWIW all my hardcases live in the loft and I always use a gigbag so that worked for me too.

EDIT In case the resale argument is wheeled out again, with the exception of one bass/guitar, I have never bought any instrument with a view to what it will net me if I sell it, I buy them 'cos I like them for what they are, not what they will net me later.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969980' date='Sep 27 2010, 08:20 PM']Boring or logical?
£560 with no hard case worth at least £100,worse hardware,worse paint finish,None US pickup when an EBMM (sorry if its without a matching headstock!) for as little £640 on ebay in recent times to me has to be worth a mention.I know nothing of the models you mentioned but to me its still a bad finacial deal, Thats no dissing the bass in its own right just the facts.Do you dispute any of those facts?[/quote]

Im not disputing you can pick up a second had SR4 for a bit more but it seems you have to take whats available or wait for possibly ages for the right one to come along.
I could have got a SR4 for about £150 more than my Ray34 but i couldn't find a black one with matching head stock. And to buy brand new certainly wasn't going to be cost effective.

Its really not worth arguing over it IMO so i wont. I do take your point but just dont agree with all the logic. Dont forget, i brought one and so did the OP (and plenty of others) so they must have something going for them.

Just shows, we see things differently and no one is right. Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

Saying that, the one you linked to is rather nice and i do quite fancy it now.

Edited by dave_bass5

Shall I jump to where this thread always goes?

The lovers keep loving and the bemused keep being bemused and the argument is always about comparing a bad EBMM against a great Sterling version? (Which Im sure they are).

At no point do I suggest you buy a bad example of an EBMM even if it has better hardware,better paint,better pickup,Hardcase and stronger resale value for your extra £120, minus the £100+ you will get if you sell the EB hardcase on ebay as they never go for less.But if you put the £120 towards a Really good example you will want to keep the hardcase because you wont want to be without that bass ever again!

[quote name='ezbass' post='970010' date='Sep 27 2010, 08:53 PM']+1 these SBMMs do seem to get bashed. Here's the bottom line, my current Ray34 sounds better and plays better than my old US 3 band 'Ray, which is why I bought it. YMMV. FWIW all my hardcases live in the loft and I always use a gigbag so that worked for me too.

EDIT In case the resale argument is wheeled out again, with the exception of one bass/guitar, I have never bought any instrument with a view to what it will net me if I sell it, I buy them 'cos I like them for what they are, not what they will net me later.[/quote]

Well put.

As far as second hand value goes, it seems to me most of the SR4s are around half price or just a bit over. Same as the Ray34's (and most other basses) so i dont get the argument. Selling a SR4 you're likely to loose around £400 (based on selling it for £700). Selling a Ray34 you loose around £250. So to me it seems you lose less money, and have paid out less to start with than a SR4. Hows that not cost effective?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='970025' date='Sep 27 2010, 09:04 PM']Im not disputing you can pick up a second had SR4 for a bit more but it seems you have to take whats available or wait for possibly ages for the right one to come along.
I could have got a SR4 for about £150 more than my Ray34 but i couldn't find a black one with matching head stock. And to buy brand new certainly wasn't going to be cost effective.

Its really not worth arguing over it IMO so i wont. I do take your point but just dont agree with all the logic. Dont forget, i brought one and so did the OP (and plenty of others) so they must have something going for them.

Just shows, we see things differently and no one is right. Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

Saying that, the one you linked to is rather nice and i do quite fancy it now.[/quote]

That linky one is really cool! Bass players are not logical animals anyway but does the matching headstock really outway all the other points I made?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='970035' date='Sep 27 2010, 09:10 PM']Well put.

As far as second hand value goes, it seems to me most of the SR4s are around half price or just a bit over. Same as the Ray34's (and most other basses) so i dont get the argument. Selling a SR4 you're likely to loose around £400 (based on selling it for £700). Selling a Ray34 you loose around £250. So to me it seems you lose less money, and have paid out less to start with than a SR4. Hows that not cost effective?[/quote]
Thats like saying I bought a fiat punto and the bloke up the road is an idiot because he is going to lose way more on his ferrari.Which on the face of it you still have a point but he has a ferrari you do not.