Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best EQ pedal advice?

Jesso

Hey folks,
I'm delighted with my new terror bass.... it's awesome.
I'm missing a bit of the mid poke that I was able to get from my LM2 though..... the mid eq on the terror bass doesn't quite do what I want it to do, despite sounding very nice.
I'm looking for a nice eq to add to my pedal collection that will help with this.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jesse

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='962296' date='Sep 20 2010, 03:35 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSS-PQ-3B-BASS-PARAMETRIC-EQ-BOXED-MANUAL-/230523010857?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35ac3dff29"]Bit pricey though[/url].[/quote]

Why is this a bass specific pedal exactly?

Its just a semi parametric eq, so why the bass reference....

Just wondering, I'm sure its a great solution, I just dont understand the name.

[quote name='51m0n' post='962336' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:08 PM']Why is this a bass specific pedal exactly?

Its just a semi parametric eq, so why the bass reference....[/quote]

I imagine Boss thought bass players had more need/desire for a parametric EQ pedal, but there's no reason why you couldn't use it on any signal.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='962356' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:24 PM']I imagine Boss thought bass players had more need/desire for a parametric EQ pedal, but there's no reason why you couldn't use it on any signal.[/quote]

Thanks peeps. I like the look of that ebay boss pedal, although I tend to stay away from boss stuff....
I'm kinda lookin for something a bit special, or at least something very musical.
Blunt but musical. That's the kind of gear I like. Stuff that's impossible to make sound bad.
To put it another way - idiot proof EQ!

[quote name='Jesso' post='962389' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:48 PM']Thanks peeps. I like the look of that ebay boss pedal, although I tend to stay away from boss stuff....
I'm kinda lookin for something a bit special, or at least something very musical.
Blunt but musical. That's the kind of gear I like. Stuff that's impossible to make sound bad.
To put it another way - idiot proof EQ![/quote]
thinking outside the box here..

you might consider the multiwave distortion pro. yes it is a distortion pedal, but also does clean boost with graphic e.q. the e.q. is 7-band, like the boss, but only +-12db.

even if you don't end up using any of the distortion sounds (and i mean distortion in the loosest sense of the word, as it is very digitally-processed sounding) - you could store 6 different user e.q.pre-shapes.. which kind of validates the price leap (around £180).

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox_pro/multiwave_bass_distortion.php"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundb..._distortion.php[/url]

[quote name='51m0n' post='962336' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:08 PM']Why is this a bass specific pedal exactly?

Its just a semi parametric eq, so why the bass reference....

Just wondering, I'm sure its a great solution, I just dont understand the name.[/quote]

iirc the low frequency sweep goes lower on the bass model than the guitar model.

[quote name='ahpook' post='962754' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:31 PM']how about the mxr m80 ? it's got eq and distortion plus a few other goodies too.[/quote]

+1 brilliant pedal, very much a swiss army knife. Full, switchable control over Highs, Lows and Mids, a nice clean DI and a good switchable distortion circuit to boot. They go cheap too.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='962761' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:36 PM']+1 brilliant pedal, very much a swiss army knife. Full, switchable control over Highs, Lows and Mids, a nice clean DI and a good switchable distortion circuit to boot. They go cheap too.[/quote]

stoppit ! you're starting to persuade [i]me[/i] !

:)

The Boss 3 band paramteric EQ pedal is/was a very good piece of kit. I twas the firts pedal I ever bought and I frequently chastise myself for seling it during one of my many ill-advised ventures into Multi FX territory. However, they stopped making thos epedals some years ago, hence the high value. Also, I'd feel a bit scared gigging it knowing that I'd probaby not find a replacement easily.

The MXR Bass DI+ is a brilliant pedal. I bought one earlier this year and it has totally transformed my sound. I'm always getting compliments on my bass tone and gigs and rehearsals are a doddle nowadays - gigs I can guarantee a pretty decent sound through anything with enough headroom and decent speakers and gigs - I just send a signal from the DI and run my amp flat for monitoring. Wonderful.

I read an interview with John Entwistle where he said he used a parametric EQ to remove 1kHz from his sound. I tried it and the difference in tone is remarkable and that's the point of proper EQing - it's more than a selection of EQ curves it's about subtlety.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='962978' date='Sep 21 2010, 09:05 AM']The Boss 3 band paramteric EQ pedal is/was a very good piece of kit. I twas the firts pedal I ever bought and I frequently chastise myself for seling it during one of my many ill-advised ventures into Multi FX territory. However, they stopped making thos epedals some years ago, hence the high value. Also, I'd feel a bit scared gigging it knowing that I'd probaby not find a replacement easily.

The MXR Bass DI+ is a brilliant pedal. I bought one earlier this year and it has totally transformed my sound. I'm always getting compliments on my bass tone and gigs and rehearsals are a doddle nowadays - gigs I can guarantee a pretty decent sound through anything with enough headroom and decent speakers and gigs - I just send a signal from the DI and run my amp flat for monitoring. Wonderful.

I read an interview with John Entwistle where he said he used a parametric EQ to remove 1kHz from his sound. I tried it and the difference in tone is remarkable and that's the point of proper EQing - it's more than a selection of EQ curves it's about subtlety.[/quote]

Cool some useful stuff there.
I'm bidding on an MXR M80, and I may pick up one of those Boss pedals too...
Nice thing about pedals is they're very easy to move on when you decide you don't want them any more!