Why become a member? ×

Help! I don't know what to buy!

PBG

Apologies for the ignorance but I could use some good advice! I am an ex-guitarist who has been playing bass for a year in a classic rock band (covers + original material) who has outgrown his 165 watt Laney bass combo (1x15). It has been just about OK for small gigs and rehearsal - but the gigs are getting bigger and the Laney is at max most of the time - even with decent PAs. Even for rehearsal it is struggling with the Blackstar and Marshall combos that the guitarists play. We have a new MUCH larger rehearsal space and frankly the Laney's 165 watts isn't enough for this. So what should I get? I have a USA P bass which I love and all I want is an amp that I can plug in and play. I don't want a huge variety of sounds. We play fast and loud and I don't see much need for fancy EQs or footswitches to change channels. (I dont wish to offend anyone by my simple needs!!).

I think that I might need to depth of 15 speakers and have tried a Marshall MB 4210, which wasn't for me - just not loud and bassy enough! I hear talk of "headroom" of 4 or 8 ohms (means nothing to me!). Also valve or transistor? So first question is whether a combo is a possibility (Laney RB8? GK backline? Fender Rumble 350?) or should I look for a seperate rig? (Laney RB9? Ashdown head? + suitable cab?). Or do I go for a combo that I can add a cab to?? Cost is important - so what should a rocker get for £400/500?? I would rather buy new, but recognise my budget is limited.

A big thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice! I just want something solid and loud!

You need about 350 watts to cut through 2 guitarists etc.(you probably won't have to use that much,but it's nice to know
you have extra power in reserve). (Pub gigs etc.)The next thing to consider is if you want head/cab or combo.
Also,do you want bassy(ie trace elliot etc/) or clean(gallien krueger etc.)

Amps that have a bad name: Behringer. Good name :Aguilar. Other folk here will tell you lots more.

I used to have a n Eden Nemesis combo . It was awesome,and would've suited you to the ground.Sold it as I don't drive.

I now use Aguilar head/combo which rocks!!

Checkout the for sale items here.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

hey dude. i would say second hand you will DEFINITELY get more for your money. but its up to you..... for a rocky sound i would recommend ampeg and gallien kruger. theyr both awesome! i noticed you werent sure about ohms.....

i hope this helps......

basically...................... ohms is resistance. its to do with how much power you send to your speaker(s)

if you buy a 450watt head, the head will say something like 450watts @4ohms and 250 watts @ 8ohms.

now you can buy cabs with different ohms..... typically 4 or 8 ohms (although there are others) so lets say you buy an 8 ohms cab that means the speaker ideally needs to be able to handle 250watts AT LEAST (as thats what the amp says it will put out at 8 ohms.....) you dont have to get a 250watt speaker..... but it means you will have to listen carefully when turning the volume up and listen out for any unwated distortion/funny noises etc... as the cab canot take full power... almost all of the time people will buy a cab that is rated at a higher wattage than the amp... its just a safe bet, and means you PROBABLY wont blow your speaker up :)

OR

you can buy a 4 ohm cab. again you will need to get a 450watt cab as thats what the amp says it will put out at that ohm rating.... it means youl get full power out of your amp!!!

now hears the clever stuff (ino you price range doesnt permit it but its handy to have the knowledge for later on. and for your choice now....)

if you put TWO 8OHM cabs together it halfs and makes a load of 4OHMS that means the full 450watts is beeing shared equally between the two speakers...

so you could buy an 8 ohm cab now, and as long as the head you buy permits it.... you can buy another 8 ohm cab later on.....

im asuming youd go for a head and cab configuration..... lol. but like i said. the knowloedge is always good!

happy hunting! ;-)

hope this helps!

If bass and volume are what yr after, Peavey would be a good place to start. The gear is heavy, tho virtually indestructible, but it has what yr after. A very versatile and not too heavy rig would be Hartke.

Theres also a great Marshall setup on here at pres - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102907"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102907[/url]

However the Marshall cab in this link is what I use, and its easily the best cab I`ve ever used. Its a steal at the price too
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102288"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102288[/url].
Combine it with a head that sticks out 300/400 watts at 4 Ohms, plenty of power. I`ve a 400 watt head at 2 Ohms, with one of these, and for gigs, my head is on 2/3 max!

If your Laney combo is the RB4 it's 160 watts into 2 cabs, so if you're not using an extension cab you're running at less than 100 watts! No wonder you can't keep up!

The cheap, simple option is to get Laney 15 extension cab, but a good 410 will give you more low end than a 15 and the notes will be punchier and clearer. I would spend all of your budget on a good 410 to use as an extension cab and save up for a 300-500 watt head.

yes, check out the model of your current combo and the cheapest way to add watts and a bigger sound is to add a cab.
This is assuming that the combo is running at 8ohms and has an extention jack. This is a very good idicator that your 15" is handling half the output power its claims to be. An 8 ohms extn cab will allow the amp to get closer to its indicated power rating.

Tbh, that combo probably isn't going to stick around..not if you come here often as GAS is compulsory and you'll end up upgrading
soon enough.

If it were me, I'd be thinking about an Eden 212 as they are very good bang per buck second-hand...as long as you are comfortable with the lift and space in the car.
I'd move away from combos myself, but if you go down a combo route, start with Eden, or Markbass as they will amp up to around 400-500 watts just because of the heads they use. Check the head just to be sure. SWR do a very good Redhead combo but the price seems to keep the premium for some reason.

Determine what speakers you prefer and work out from there.