Why become a member? ×

Baritone Guitar Bass thing

Delberthot

Tried to search for info on this but so far haven't been able to find any on here.

Since my early teens I've had a hankering to get myself something like the Fender Bass VI that Jack Bruce used in Cream but being strictly a finger player I thought it maybe a tad difficult to play with the strings being so close together.

Now I'm finding my playing style changing and I have the urge to play chords and other stuff that you can do on a guitar while still playing it as a bass.

My question is: can I buy a regular guitar and tune it E - E using Fender Bass VI strings or similar or will the difference in scale length between a guitar and the baritone/bass VI be a huge issue?

Alternatively, who makes a baritone that I can tune E - E cheaply enough but playable so I can buy one second hand to see if its for me before putting out a lot of money for one?

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='959147' date='Sep 17 2010, 09:34 AM']Tried to search for info on this but so far haven't been able to find any on here.

Since my early teens I've had a hankering to get myself something like the Fender Bass VI that Jack Bruce used in Cream but being strictly a finger player I thought it maybe a tad difficult to play with the strings being so close together.

Now I'm finding my playing style changing and I have the urge to play chords and other stuff that you can do on a guitar while still playing it as a bass.

My question is: can I buy a regular guitar and tune it E - E using Fender Bass VI strings or similar or will the difference in scale length between a guitar and the baritone/bass VI be a huge issue?

Alternatively, who makes a baritone that I can tune E - E cheaply enough but playable so I can buy one second hand to see if its for me before putting out a lot of money for one?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99602&hl=baritone"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=baritone[/url]

There, search over.

I didn;t know how good the search was if it would bring up anything if I typed in Fender Bass VI or if it would do what Talkbass does and ignore anything with fewer than 3 characters giving me about 12000 threads for Fender Bass

Funny that. Been here over 3 years and never tried that

Edited by Delberthot

Incidentally, I also frequently return to the notion that it'd be nice to have just one instrument that allows me to play bass and/or guitar - like a guitar equivalent of a piano.

Unfortunately, I have resigned the idea to the circular file and have decided just to have both guitars and basses. I just don't think it'd work when you consider scale length, string gauges, pickup placement, the different approach and levels of energy used when strumming/picking on bass or guitar...

Hurts my head just thinking about it.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='959605' date='Sep 17 2010, 04:13 PM']Incidentally, I also frequently return to the notion that it'd be nice to have just one instrument that allows me to play bass and/or guitar - like a guitar equivalent of a piano.[/quote]

Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar/Mobius Megatar?

E to E is a pretty tall order on a really short scale (Baritone) I have got my PRS MM sig down to A to A without using a different or modifying the bridge. This using D'add 16 - 60 EXPs.

It is a monster but I struggle with little fretboards.

[url="http://www.prsguitars.com/mushok/index.php"]http://www.prsguitars.com/mushok/index.php[/url]