Why become a member? ×

Stingray experience on the cheap?

cameltoe

[quote name='parker_muse' post='959738' date='Sep 17 2010, 06:02 PM']The 'Vintage' copy of a stingray is damn good too and comes in at under £200. It certainly has my reccomendation.[/quote]

I wanted to like it. It was a bit meh, and got the OLP which was a lot nicer. I've owned Vintage basses and guitars, some are great. This isn't one example, I don't think.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='959697' date='Sep 17 2010, 05:22 PM']Where do they attach the extra string and with the poles missing on the pup it would start even more debate than the already sore point of a weak G? Who told you that anyway give a poke in the eye from me! I cant think of one bit that could come off an SR4 to be used on an SUB 5? :wacko:[/quote]

My bad I meant electronics wise. I'm not sure where the PUP is alnico or not either.

In a way it's what the classic stingray 5H is.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='960171' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:20 AM']Im not sure either on the pup type and I never understood why they did that to the SR5 it should of been like the classic all along.[/quote]

I agree about the look. One reason I was never drawn to the SR5 (or the OLP version :rolleyes:) was that I hated that pickguard with passion.
I also prefer slightly wider interstringdistance, but that's something I can just get used to relatively easily.
Thats why the SUB5 I'm getting in (counting...) 9 days is soooo appealing. Despite the aluminium scratchplate and all. I think the oval scratchplate look is just... :wub: beautiful :wub:
:)

[quote name='mcnach' post='960392' date='Sep 18 2010, 02:06 PM']I agree about the look. One reason I was never drawn to the SR5 (or the OLP version :rolleyes:) was that I hated that pickguard with passion.
I also prefer slightly wider interstringdistance, but that's something I can just get used to relatively easily.
Thats why the SUB5 I'm getting in (counting...) 9 days is soooo appealing. Despite the aluminium scratchplate and all. I think the oval scratchplate look is just... :wub: beautiful :wub:
:)[/quote]
Yep me too. I just can't get past the acres of pickguard.

I've got both a SUB 4 and SUB 5 and I have to say that they are both great basses. The tone is superb, though the treble can be a bit harsh if turned up too much. Like many other comments on here, I just don't like the look of the 'Ray 5 due to the scratchplate. Easy enough to source a replacement scratchplate for the horrible looking checker-plate one on the SUB 4 but a bit more tricky for the SUB 5. Now that Ernie Ball do a 5 string Classic 'ray it should be possible to get a more tasteful replacement!!

I've also got a Vintage musicman copy which is nothing like the SUB 4 in my opinion. Sound wise it is poor in comparison despite the 3 band eq and the neck is a lot thinner (though I do quite like that!!). But the big difference is price - the Vintage would cost about £75 secondhand and a SUB 4 would be about £350...

I'm going to get rid of the Vintage very soon as it just doesn't get a look in since I bought the SUB basses.

[quote name='silentbob' post='964885' date='Sep 22 2010, 08:24 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-STINGRAY-BASS-ERNIE-BALL-/150497216427?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230a5547ab"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-STINGRAY-BASS-ER...=item230a5547ab[/url][/quote]

this 'sold' a few weeks back, now back on sale :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='954262' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:18 AM']The ibanez ATK is the only 'cheap' bass i've played that sounded anything like a stingray (and the only other non-musicman bass i've ever played that sounded like one was a warwick $$, i own one of course)[/quote]

I'm another that recommends the Ibanez ATK- DAMN fine bass- with IIRC- a humbucker with a phantom coil like the Stingray 5. I've played a couple & liked them a lot.
Sure a Warwick $$ is GREAT- I got one too- ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!!! SO many tonal options- passive & active!!

I wasn't impressed at ALL with the couple of SUB's I tried. I A/B's em against the actual Ray when the SUBS came out & seriously it was chalk n cheese.
But I played a Sterling by Musicman Ray5 the other day & DAMN it was good. DAMN near the real thing- not QUITE as nicely finished off etc... but the sounds were astonishing- again I A/B'd the 5string Sterling By MM Ray5 against the REAL EBMM Stingray5 & I really had to listen HARD to find the difference. VERY Subtle!
The real SR5 was a bit smoother in upper register, the EQ was a 'li'l' bit more responsive & the overall sound was a li'l punchier, but NOT BY MUCH. IF I WAS in the market for one I'd probly go 4 the cheaper altrernative.....
BTW- Both were ASH bodied 5 strings with maple boards.
Re the OLP option- I've heard they're pretty good too. & a mate of mine actually uses his still coz he hasn't found a real EBMM ray5 better. He put in an aftermarket 3 band Pre amp & I think- a new MM pup. Apart from that it's all OLP- Ash Body/maple board.