Why become a member? ×

Double Bass amp

BigJim

Hi Jim

You could find yourself getting several replies, each with a different recommendation. So to start I'd recommend as a simple no nonsense solution a Gallien Krueger 150MBS. These come up for sale from time to time. Then a very good rig but more expensive would be an AI Clarus with an EA Wizzy 10" or 12" cab. You don't say what pickup you are using but you'll probably need an outboard preamp as an impedance buffer, such as a Fishman Pro eq.

I see your Dresden DB is for sale so am intrigued by this enquiry.

Edited by bassace

[quote name='bassace' post='952734' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:18 PM']Hi Jim

You could find yourself getting several replies, each with a different recommendation. So to start I'd recommend as a simple no nonsense solution a Gallien Krueger 150MBS. These come up for sale from time to time. Then a very good rig but more expensive would be an AI Clarus with an EA Wizzy 10" or 12" cab. You don't say what pickup you are using but you'll probably need an outboard preamp as an impedance buffer, such as a Fishman Pro eq.

I see your Dresden DB is for sale so am intrigued by this enquiry.[/quote]

Cheers mate. Are AI still distributed by Overwater? I've got a Fishman pro eq II I can use if need be! and i'm using a HK pickup

For a while, i was moving more towards EUB but i've fallen back in love with the Dresden!!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by BigJim

I've just fixed myself up with an EA Doubler and barefaced Midget. My motivation was that if I was humping around the big beast, i'd better make everything else as light and compact as poss.

I have to say the Doubler is superb. A few selling points:

You won't have to have a preamp because the input impedance is 1Mohm, so saving £100 or so. Of course you might want one anyway for tone shaping.

The two channels are either for electric and acoustic or two acoustic inputs, mic and pickup. If you do the last, you have full control over phase.

EQ is interesting. There's a variable notch filter to use against feedback, and the ch2 mid eq is centred higher (800hz) than ch 1 (600hz) to better suit the db.

Overall, a wonderful warm sound. Not at all clinical. Paired with the Midget, it's gorgeous with bg, I haven't tried it live with upright yet, but I expect it to be perfect.

You can tell I'm still besotted. :)

Edited by fatback

I don't think that a dedicated acoustic amp will give you anything better than your TC as long as you use a decent pre designed for acoustic instruments. As far as I can see,the only features acoustic amps include over normal bass amps are things like phase reversal and EQ centered around the 'problem' frequencies.

Rather than buying another amp, why not get a preamp designed for double bass and use it with the power amp section of your TC? You don't say what cabs you're using, but it's generally better to use 10s or 12s for double bass

I use a Fishman Platinum Pro into the Fx return of a Markbass LMII into a BillFitzmaurice Omni10.5 and it's a very clean an manageable sound.

[quote name='TheRev' post='953163' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:20 PM']I don't think that a dedicated acoustic amp will give you anything better than your TC as long as you use a decent pre designed for acoustic instruments. As far as I can see,the only features acoustic amps include over normal bass amps are things like phase reversal and EQ centered around the 'problem' frequencies.

Rather than buying another amp, why not get a preamp designed for double bass and use it with the power amp section of your TC? You don't say what cabs you're using, but it's generally better to use 10s or 12s for double bass

I use a Fishman Platinum Pro into the Fx return of a Markbass LMII into a BillFitzmaurice Omni10.5 and it's a very clean an manageable sound.[/quote]

+1

I use and AI Focus or a Mesa Walkabout, two very different amps, but as long as you control the DB going into them, you can get good results.

• 3 months later...

Digging up a 3-4 month old thread here...

...but I just recalled at a pub gig last year when this thread was actually active, that the double bassist from the other band used my Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II + MAG 210 extension cabinet that I use with my electric, and then reckoned he liked the sound better than from his dedicated DB combo (the brand/model of which I never paid any attention to, sorry!)

I'm presuming it came down to having a larger surface area with my three drivers (15''+2x10'') in total as compared to his one (12''), but thought someone might benefit from knowing at least one DB player enjoyed using something they probably wouldn't otherwise consider.... mighty nice chap too.

Cheers
T

• 2 weeks later...

May have missed the boat slightly here, but I use a PJB Suitcase for both EB and DB and I love it. It has two completely independent channels so I can use both instruments at a gig with no fuss. It ain't the loudest, but it's fine for smaller gigs and at bigger gigs I'm usually DId from it anyway and it's just a monitor for me and the drummer!

I can easily get a nice sound for both electric and upright from one amp...nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't overlook the Ibanez Promethean combo! A very versatile unit with detachable head capable of 500 watts! Lightweight and portable, you can get a gig bag for it, has a tilt back leg, and offers great tone. The unit is really well priced too and is as good as any Genz Benz, MB, PJB setup you'd pay twice the money for. But I'm biased as I use one :)