Why become a member? ×

Blown away!.....More Classic Vibe Squire love

Raslee

Well, well, well....i believe the hype. I scored a cheapish second hand Squire CV 51P bass...i'm blown away how well it plays...even as stock! Jammed it this evening at 'my other' band and wow what a incredible, well made, simple yet sexy bass.....very happy. Think i may have to try the CV jazz now when i save some pennies. Sadly i was a little dissappointed with a recent VM Squire that i had but the CV seems leagues ahead in terms of of build quality. I'm a Squire CV convert....another to the list. :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='948998' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:40 PM']Well, well, well....i believe the hype. I scored a cheapish second hand Squire CV 51P bass...i'm blown away how well it plays...even as stock! Jammed it this evening at 'my other' band and wow what a incredible, well made, simple yet sexy bass.....very happy. Think i may have to try the CV jazz now when i save some pennies. Sadly i was a little dissappointed with a recent VM Squire that i had but the CV seems leagues ahead in terms of of build quality. I'm a Squire CV convert....another to the list. :)[/quote]

I'm looking forward to getting mine sometime next week (CV Jazz that is). Twill be my very first (and possibly very last) brand new guitar.

[quote name='Rasta' post='948998' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:40 PM']Well, well, well....i believe the hype. I scored a cheapish second hand Squire CV 51P bass...i'm blown away how well it plays...even as stock! Jammed it this evening at 'my other' band and wow what a incredible, well made, simple yet sexy bass.....very happy. Think i may have to try the CV jazz now when i save some pennies. Sadly i was a little dissappointed with a recent VM Squire that i had but the CV seems leagues ahead in terms of of build quality. I'm a Squire CV convert....another to the list. :)[/quote]

Hey Rasta !

How is it for reggae - as deep as the front pup on a jazz bass ?

[quote name='redstriper' post='949020' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:24 AM']Hey Rasta !

How is it for reggae - as deep as the front pup on a jazz bass ?[/quote]
Hi Steve, not tried it for reggae as such but we do some dubby stuff in the prog outfit (Ozrics, Gong kinda thing) that i jammed with lastnight and it sounded soooo nice and warm with good defintion-not muddy. Hard to say if it matches the jazz pu but i am going to gig it this weekend with Steppaz so will road test the dubbness then. The qualtiy though of the bass in unlike any Squire i've ever played before-very smooth and like a bass costing 3 times as much-i wasn't expecting it to be this good. You will definitely like the lightness too....not sure on the weight but a lot lighter than the average jazz.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='949027' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:35 AM']Welcome to the CV fold!

[/quote]
Impressive collection there mate. How does the jazz rate against the 51p in terms of quality etc ....are all the CV's really amazing? If so i could join you in the all squire vibe!

Im also a CV Jazz owner and love mine, although i dont tend to use it any more.
For me it was a cheap way of getting back in to Jazz basses, as ive had a bad experience recently with a DJ5 so wasnt sure i would like the Jazz tone.
I dont expect ill ever need to use it again but thats fine, as its the neck that im going to hold on to.
Its one of the nicest playing necks ive ever owned and im not going to let it go. It will probably be on a CV P this time next month.

Oh yeah, and my CV Jazz seems to have less quality issues than 3 MIA jazz basses i had over the past 6 weeks.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Rasta' post='949120' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:03 AM']Impressive collection there mate. How does the jazz rate against the 51p in terms of quality etc ....are all the CV's really amazing? If so i could join you in the all squire vibe![/quote]

The build quality is outstanding on all 3 models, I can assure you. The Jazz is the one with the most unplugged resonance, and the Red Precision is very faithful in sound and feel with the real thing. I am now trying to source some clay dots to make it look the part. Overall I am more pleased with these 3 than all the other Mexican and Texican bodged P's & J's I have tried.

I tried the Biffy Squiro CV bass today in Mansons..I think its definately on the cards for a future purchase for me- The Biffy mainly for the colour as i have a LPB Lakland & the CV 51 P-i have no interest in Biffy Guiro. Again a totally amazing quality bass to play. I tried a road worn Mex that was just under 1K and i was left very unimpressed compared to the Squire. I then picked up a USA Jazz too, it was ok but not worth the extra money over the Squire. I am sooooo impressed with these Squires! :)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='949882' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:12 PM']I pick up a USA Jazz too, it was ok but not worth the extra money over the Squire. I am sooooo impressed with these Squires! :)[/quote]

Exactly how i felt. The MIA's are lovely basses but not almost 4 time lovely than my CV Jazz. And as the CVJ has vintage frets i find its a lot nicer and easier to play.

I doubt ill ever use the CVJ again (i now have a HW-one that i prefer) but i know ill definitely use the neck on something else.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='951623' date='Sep 10 2010, 11:05 AM']Exactly how i felt. The MIA's are lovely basses but not almost 4 time lovely than my CV Jazz.[/quote]

The law of diminishing returns at work again. You can't calibrate "better" you either think it's better in some way/s and are willing to pay the dosh, or you're not.

And now the caveat, those Squiers are frickin awesome! I have no idea how they produce basses (and guitars) of such quality for the price. It's like when Squiers first came out all over again. Great news for the consumer.

[quote name='redstriper' post='949020' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:24 AM']Hey Rasta !

How is it for reggae - as deep as the front pup on a jazz bass ?[/quote]
I tried it last night at a reggae rehearsal through my Ampeg. I ended up marking the settings on my amp as it was truly the best sound i have ever had - even better than my Lakland sound which is my next best sounding bass (IMO of course) .....also had lots of compliments about my sound throughout the night.
It seemed brighter than the neck Jazz PU but only very slightly but this brightness is a warm bright if that makes sense....i'm sure this will mean something in a reggae way. Definitely worth trying one out rather than just a fashionable fad & light too :) - Man from Del Monte says yes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='951983' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:40 PM']Well im sold lol.

Im after Neil's red one for sale on here but i expect it will sell before i can get to him. If so ill get a new one. I would love to put a Fralin in it but at £140 new i don't think i could justify it.[/quote]

About 24hrs left Dave....but no bids yet. If it doesnt sell on Tbay, will PM you mate.

[quote name='ezbass' post='951952' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:06 PM']The law of diminishing returns at work again. You can't calibrate "better" you either think it's better in some way/s and are willing to pay the dosh, or you're not.

And now the caveat, those Squiers are frickin awesome! I have no idea how they produce basses (and guitars) of such quality for the price. It's like when Squiers first came out all over again. Great news for the consumer.[/quote]

I agree although i do think the MIA's are also worth the money if you can afford one. They have a nicer finish to them, maple fretboards on all models, better range of colours, come with a nice hard case and rolled fingerboards. So IME the are better if you dont take the cost in to consideration, but its down to the individual to decide if those extras are worth it or not.

[quote name='Rasta' post='951977' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:33 PM']I tried it last night at a reggae rehearsal through my Ampeg. I ended up marking the settings on my amp as it was truly the best sound i have ever had - even better than my Lakland sound which is my next best sounding bass (IMO of course) .....also had lots of compliments about my sound throughout the night.
It seemed brighter than the neck Jazz PU but only very slightly but this brightness is a warm bright if that makes sense....i'm sure this will mean something in a reggae way. Definitely worth trying one out rather than just a fashionable fad & light too :) - Man from Del Monte says yes.[/quote]

That's amazing - better than your Lakland and Warwick for reggae - OK I'm gonna have to try one soon, do you have yours strung with flats ?

[quote name='redstriper' post='957468' date='Sep 15 2010, 05:53 PM']That's amazing - better than your Lakland and Warwick for reggae - OK I'm gonna have to try one soon, do you have yours strung with flats ?[/quote]
Yeah definitely impressed with this one Steve , i shall be keeping it for a while :) (famous last words) - very solid sound and balanced across the strings - the D & G shine through nicely too. Lightness is a blessing and the quality build is astounding, low action, no buzzes, smooth neck and the stock pick up sounds good to my ears; i was planning prior to hearing the bass to upgrade the PU but as i say i am more than happy with the stock PU......I'm still blown away by this bass TBH. I gigged it last weekend and had lots of positive comments about the good sound and some surprised faces when i proudly said its a 'Squire' :rolleyes:

Not tried flats on it yet but its in the pipeline - just a bit M.O.T. skint at the mo...got some flats on my MM though, D'Addrio Chromes....really like them!

It probably doesn't do the bass sound justice but heres a mobile phone clip from the said gig [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAmALVa2nY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAmALVa2nY...player_embedded[/url]

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='957675' date='Sep 15 2010, 08:47 PM']Yeah definitely impressed with this one Steve , i shall be keeping it for a while :) (famous last words) - very solid sound and balanced across the strings - the D & G shine through nicely too. Lightness is a blessing and the quality build is astounding, low action, no buzzes, smooth neck and the stock pick up sounds good to my ears; i was planning prior to hearing the bass to upgrade the PU but as i say i am more than happy with the stock PU......I'm still blown away by this bass TBH. I gigged it last weekend and had lots of positive comments about the good sound and some surprised faces when i proudly said its a 'Squire' :rolleyes:

Not tried flats on it yet but its in the pipeline - just a bit M.O.T. skint at the mo...got some flats on my MM though, D'Addrio Chromes....really like them!

It probably doesn't do the bass sound justice but heres a mobile phone clip from the said gig [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAmALVa2nY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAmALVa2nY...player_embedded[/url][/quote]

Sounds very nice on the vid, bit low in the mix - maybe I'll play it through the LM2 with both filters on full :lol:

My old jazz bass is heavy at 10.5 Lbs, but it's got the dub tone and I haven't found another bass to touch it................. yet !