Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shipping advice, from the US

Marky L

To save me ploughing through the courier thread, does anyone one have any sage advice on a good courier from the US to UK. It looks like my search for a Ric Blackstar maybe close to conclusion!!

Any hints on packaging too? Should the strings be loosened off a turn or so?

[quote name='Marky L' post='946353' date='Sep 5 2010, 04:52 PM']To save me ploughing through the courier thread, does anyone one have any sage advice on a good courier from the US to UK. It looks like my search for a Ric Blackstar maybe close to conclusion!!

Any hints on packaging too? Should the strings be loosened off a turn or so?[/quote]
I have used the USPO several times and NO problems.If its packed secure it should arrive secure..............Theres no garuntees with any couriers,no matter how much you pay.I used the overpriced services of DHL and they managed to lose my ENGL amp between my home and their nearest office a distance of a whole 7 miles :) Sure I got paid out but at the used insured value which was around half of what it would have cost to replace with a new one.

USPO is very competitive and thats a fact.....Good Luck whoever you choose....dont forget to factor in Customs and carriers invoicing charges at this end.

Good luck

Tony

[quote name='tino' post='946367' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:10 PM']dont forget to factor in Customs and carriers invoicing charges at this end.[/quote]
This would be my advice too. I have probably had about 5 or 6 big purchases from the US and each time you get hit. The packaging is no more of a problem importing than it would be coming from the UK - my only damaged instrument came from the UK. However do expect a delay of a few days whilst customs have it. Usually takes about a week to arrive, 3 days to ship from the US and then 3 days in UK customs! They then write to you with a bill including import taxes and a bizarre handling fee. I just had a USA 1979 Precision (minus pickup and bridge) which cost me $1000 - the bill from Parcel Force who paid the fees was £97, just to give you an example.

The fact that's second hand and a private sale have no impact on whether or not you have to pay VAT and import duty. The fact that's it's coming from another EU country means you won't.

There's all the information you need about importing basses and the VAT and import duty implications in the Wiki.

And for the OP. All the various carriers are much of a muchness. USPS will generally take longer, but you even that out with their being much cheaper. I wouldn't pay extra unless you really want to have the bass in 3 days rather than just over a week.

Don't slacken the strings off unless you're also going to loosen the truss rod by an equivalent amount. It is a good idea through to turn the machine heads so the keys are parallel to the head so there's less chance of them being damaged. Ship it in a good quality hard case and pack the inside out with airbags and bubble wrap. I'd also wrap a layer of bubble wrap around the case before putting it in a strong cardboard box.

Good luck!

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks for the replies.

USPO (USPS?) don't seem to offer insurance over $650 on international shipments which is not enough. (Unless I'm being daft and missing something).

BigRedX. Good point about the tuners, hadn't thought of that one. Agree with packing the case out with bubble wrap, I want to make sure the headstock is thoroughly supported. I'm going to ask for the case to be wrapped with string and securely tied, bubble wrap and a good card outer just as you suggest. If this all goes ahead then I hope to have it in a couple of weeks, just before my birthday!

In that case you'll need to find a carrier that offers a sufficient level of insurance. When you do read the small print [b]VERY CAREFULLY[/b].

I discovered this clause the other day on Interparcel's site under the list of prohibited items:

[quote]Magnets or items containing ferro-magnetic material[/quote]
AFAICS that rules out just about every single piece of musical equipment except for some battery-powered pedals.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='946377' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:16 PM']However do expect a delay of a few days whilst customs have it. Usually takes about a week to arrive, 3 days to ship from the US and then 3 days in UK customs! They then write to you with a bill including import taxes and a bizarre handling fee. I just had a USA 1979 Precision (minus pickup and bridge) which cost me $1000 - the bill from Parcel Force who paid the fees was £97, just to give you an example.[/quote]

Those import taxes seem totally random. I bought a bass 3 years ago off ebay from a guy in California. The bass cost £325 and the charges cost me £95. There seems no rhyme or reason to the charges I frankly think they just pick a random number.