Why become a member? ×

Have I made the right choice?

lanark

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='946270' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:45 PM']I have only used the S1 switch on someones strat and it made it sound worse in every pickup configuration is the bass version of any use?[/quote]
And to answer the part of the question Shambo didn't know about, it sounds awful on a P-bass. I took mine out as it was just dreadful. I just never used it.

Ive read that wiring the jazz pups to series will get closer to a P. This is how the S1 switch works.

If you want a P tone you HAVE to have a pup in the correct position IME. If you want a tone that can sound similar to a P then im with all the other posters here, a Jazz will do it.
I used to hate to toppy, clicky Jazz tone but after playing a few (and only a few to be honest) ive realised that not all Jazz basses sound the same.

And the one ive owned that has had the deepest, warmest tone happens to be my CV Jazz, although i do have wizard 74's in it.
I love my new HW-one Jazz but it has what i would call a typical Jazz tone, it has loads of growl, low end and a nice high end with the tone knob wide open. The CV Jazz is much warmer, definitely doesn't sparkle as much but has a lot of kick in the mid range, and i guess closer to how i remember my last P sounding.

I think the CV J is a good starting block. Its not too costly and easily upgradable for not a lot of money.

Agrement on the S1 switch on Precisions - I don`t use mine, tho it wouldn`t put me off buying another Precision with it on, as I won`t use it anyway. I suppose for home use it can have its purposes, having a bit more of a modern sound, however there`s a huge volume drop, so in a live situation, unless playing a song that requires the bass to really back off, I don`t see it as a usable option. To the OP though, if you like the Jazz playability, but like the Precision sound, why not, when/if funds are available, check out an Aerodyne Jazz - has P/J pickup configuration.

Well, I'm going to have to stop worrying. Trawling You Tube videos I found this classic clip of Fruko with Joe Arroyo from about 1979 and Fruko is definitely playing a classic Jazz. So I'm taking that as meaning a J is definitely ok for salsa.

Edited by lanark