Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray replacement pickup

peteb

If I want to replace the original MM pickup in a 4 string stingray but want to keep the original active circuit should I drop in an active or passive replacement pickup??

Any help from someone who knows about these things greatly appreciated...!

most pickups are passive [not emgs and possibly some of the other exotics] but the seymour duncan MM one certainly is

Its the active circuit that requires the battery and gives you the extra tone shaping facilities
If you put for example a j retro in a a jazz bass, you keep the existing pickups and add the new tone circuit.

[quote name='bumnote' post='945104' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:52 AM']most pickups are passive [not emgs and possibly some of the other exotics] but the seymour duncan MM one certainly is

Its the active circuit that requires the battery and gives you the extra tone shaping facilities
If you put for example a j retro in a a jazz bass, you keep the existing pickups and add the new tone circuit.[/quote]
was thinking of getting an EMG, but they do a passive one

what is the seymour duncan MM one like??

[quote name='MB1' post='945339' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:33 PM']MB1. :)
Nordstrand Replacement Stingray Pickup available from Bass Direct! are about the best im told! :rolleyes:
...Has your jacket Gone![/quote]
Jacket still up for grabs - you know the address!!

[quote name='peteb' post='945087' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:20 AM']If I want to replace the original MM pickup in a 4 string stingray but want to keep the original active circuit should I drop in an active or passive replacement pickup??

Any help from someone who knows about these things greatly appreciated...![/quote]
Why stop with the PUP :)

[quote name='peteb' post='945570' date='Sep 4 2010, 06:16 PM']was thinking of getting an EMG, but they do a passive one

what is the seymour duncan MM one like??[/quote]
I would avoid the EMG like the the plague, Every EMG bass pickup or EQ I have tried has been very disappointing.
I use the seymore basslines stingray replacements and they are great

Edited by fluffo

Actually, I've always liked EMGs (had them on quite a few basses and been very happy with them) but I'm not so sure about on a stingray!

I assume that the general consensus is to drop a passive pick up in if you want to use the stingray active circuit?

Kent Armstrong MM replacment pups are really good! Can be used with a preamp or passively.

Also, if you felt like getting you hands dirty, you could put a series/parallel switch in. Because the coils in the pup are spaced wider apart compared to the original and, say the SD, you get more of a change in sound. A much dirtier, thicker MM sound

Edited by pandathe3