Why become a member? ×

Moving to London - Where to find the Music Scene?

faceman

Evening all,

I have just put down my holding deposit on my house share in Kentish Town (excellent location, decent price and fantastic place) for studying an MA in London next year. I'm very excited to be moving to London and notably I will have no money :)

I really want to get into regular live gigging now. I'm looking for something of people of a similar age (late-teens through 20s) and wondering where does one look for such opportunities? As I'm new to the area, I know no one or much about venues (minus the big ones).

My mate suggested either something blues or covers as it's usually regular work and relatively easy on the ability scale. For something my age though, it's more likely to be indie or rock based. Thoughts? I'd love to get into a Jazz Fusion band but I'm not sure I am there yet on the skill fact...

Theres the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town, great music venue, and is right next to The Forum. Also, just along the road, in Tufnell Park, you have The Boston Arms, which is a good venue, and incorporates The Dome (I think). And going in the opposite direction, you have Camden, with its many venues.

Yr really smack in the middle of a great area, all within easy bus rides/walking distance. You should be able to find something fairly quickly to suit. Bull & Gate prob yr best bet - hang around there, get familiar with local faces/bands, and let it be known u play bass and are looking for a band.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='944255' date='Sep 3 2010, 09:30 AM']What it said... And take your bass around every so often, you never know when one of the band mates don't turn up and they ask you to fill in[/quote]

That's a good plan! I went to the Bass Gallery yesterday in Camden and had a go of the Danelectro Longhorn reissue. I'm tempted to get one as a cheap bass I could carry around London. It had bucketloads of tone and if it get's lost, no harm done. But it would be great for just rocking up with.

Now to keep an eye on the for sale section!

Welcome to London! You'll have a blast.

Buy Time Out every week. Go through the gigs section and go to a different venue or see a different band every time. They list the entry price so you can pick out the free/cheap ones if money's tight. You're spoilt for choice in that part of town with Camden nearby and local KT venues that others have mentioned. Go to gigs and get chatting to people - you'll make contacts just by seeing the same faces at venues or following bands.

Sign up to every ticket agency and venue's website and mailing list you can think of. I've got a dedicated email address just for this.

Look on gumtree for bands looking for bass players, there's usually no shortage.