Why become a member? ×

Were Some Decades Better For One Instrument Than Another?

Mykesbass

Ok, having just watched Gloria Estefan on Hot Tub's 80's thread got me thinking - the 80's IMO stank for drum sounds and 80/90% of keyboard sounds. As digital technology was being introduced everyone thought they HAD to use it, often to dire effect. Guitars also suffered (not only in sound but all those pointy headstocks :) Meanwile, bass was doing quite well with the likes of Mark King, Mick Karn, Pino et al.

Meanwhile, not so much from a playing point but from an audio point, bass in the 60's was really way behind. But that was the decade of the Hammond, Rhodes and Wurlitzer. I guess the 70's was pretty good for bass with some of the classic dance music (Chic, EWF etc) but that was overshadowed by great rock guitar and drum sounds.

Load of old bullocks or anyone else care to pontificate?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='939562' date='Aug 29 2010, 08:12 PM']Ok, having just watched Gloria Estefan on Hot Tub's 80's thread got me thinking - the 80's IMO stank for drum sounds and 80/90% of keyboard sounds. As digital technology was being introduced everyone thought they HAD to use it, often to dire effect. Guitars also suffered (not only in sound but all those pointy headstocks :rolleyes: Meanwile, bass was doing quite well with the likes of Mark King, Mick Karn, Pino et al.

Meanwhile, not so much from a playing point but from an audio point, bass in the 60's was really way behind. But that was the decade of the Hammond, Rhodes and Wurlitzer. I guess the 70's was pretty good for bass with some of the classic dance music (Chic, EWF etc) but that was overshadowed by great rock guitar and drum sounds.

Load of old bullocks or anyone else care to pontificate?[/quote]

Glad you found the Gloria Estefan interesting :)

As for the 1960s/70s, what about the likes of Motown and Atlantic (and of course James Jamerson!)... I think it's a credit to bassists everywhere that nearly all of the decades have had room for cool bass somewhere!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='939566' date='Aug 29 2010, 08:16 PM']Glad you found the Gloria Estefan interesting :)

As for the 1960s/70s, what about the likes of Motown and Atlantic (and of course James Jamerson!)... I think it's a credit to bassists everywhere that nearly all of the decades havehad room for cool bass somewhere![/quote]

Agreed, Tommy Cogbill on Dusty Springfield's Memphis album was incredible, but audibly, most 60's bass playing is very indistinct, and therefore, not as easy to appreciate as say Bernard Edwards a few years later.

Well, there's so much to consider . I remember as a kid, we used to load up singles on a Dansette.
(various stuff like the Equals, Amen Corner,Hi O Silver Lining,Paranoid,Atomic Rooster etc).
Don't think we knew who played what, but the bass was nice and crunchy.

Onto the 70's, I was getting into 'hippy stuff' ' AllMusic' :) Still in primary school I was discovering
Budgie,Sabbath,Hawkwind etc. Loved the seventies music. When I was buying stuff for the 1st time,
it was Abba ,Sparks and TRex. (I noticed the production of the early Abba singles astonishing.)
Bought various 'pop' singles,even the occasional disco single ,tho'I detested 90% of the stuff.

Started going to gigs in '79. Found the early (to become legendary metal bands) Maiden and Saxon albums to be
okay quality but not to the standards of their later recordings.
Loads of stuff in the '80s seemed to have a 'modern' sound. (later to be called over produced).
Didn't mind some of it. I remember White Lions 2nd album being powerful in the (echoey?) mix.
Phil collins drum sound 'in the air tonight' seemed bland and comical imo :rolleyes: Eastenders anyone :lol:

Anthrax's Spreading the Disease seemed powerful (but wimpy on original cd)

Most of the Britpop of the 90's reminded me of 60's revisited-ok but nothing special.

Nearly forgot: Keyboards! Great in the 70's(moog,T DREAM/FLOYD/Purple etc)
Loads of pop stuff in the '80s Gary Numan/Human League etc.
Loads of funk bass in the '80s too.
Snthy stuff in the 80's was big too..Eliminator/Somewhere in time

Better stop now,I'm rambling too much

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Music is vast & you can usually find examples to prove any point. Sometimes the limitations of technology at the time can be to the musics advantage. I agree with the new technology theory on the 80s. A bit like a budding young guuitarist faced with his first effects rack! :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='939562' date='Aug 29 2010, 08:12 PM']Ok, having just watched Gloria Estefan on Hot Tub's 80's thread got me thinking - the 80's IMO stank for drum sounds and 80/90% of keyboard sounds. As digital technology was being introduced everyone thought they HAD to use it, often to dire effect. Guitars also suffered (not only in sound but all those pointy headstocks :rolleyes: [b]Meanwile, bass was doing quite well with the likes of Mark King, Mick Karn, Pino et al.[/b]

Load of old bullocks or anyone else care to pontificate?[/quote]

Don't leave out Martin Kemp for Gaawwwds sake!!!! :) Thankfully, as a teenager of the 80's I had the good sense to be a dedicated Entwhistle and Foxton fan!!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='939562' date='Aug 29 2010, 08:12 PM'][snip]
bass was doing quite well with the likes of Mark King, Mick Karn, Pino et al.
[snip][/quote]
I think you'll find your (or more to the point, my) mileage may vary on this point... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think the answer by and large is no, not really, although you may have a different opinion if you're a fan of chorused bass and drums covered with gated reverb. :)