Why become a member? ×

63 P-Bass ?

stingrayPete1977

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Fender-Precision-Cherry-Colour-Lovely-Bass-Guitar-/170529469626?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Fender-Precisio...ents_Guitars_CV[/url]

Should I be on my way to buy this or emailing Ebay to tell them its a scam?I have no idea but would of though an original cherry red (or is it Fiesta?)63 pre CBS would be better off going through a dealer even after 15% or whatever was agreed you would be better off than a possible £2000?
A quick google finds some newer for over £4000 which I would of thought would be more in the ball park as 70's P's and J's are in the 2K territory nowadays.

What do we all think? :)

Im really no expert on vintage Fenders and could easily buy a Lemon thats why I would probably rather pay more from a dealer in this case even though thats not always bullet proof but a total duffer or complete scam should not be able to get through and I guess this is why the prices have gone where they have?

It could have just been kept in a case for most of the time. I know my dad is mad keen on keeping all of his guitars in mint condition although none of his are that old.

If you are seriously interested i would take an expert to see the bass and let him take it apart and find out whats happened. You can usually tell a refinish by the neck pocket.

Or you could ask the guy to meet you in london and get a free valuation from a shop there.

£2000 is still a lot of money so i would want to know exactly what is happening. Also i would want it to sound nice, i played a 63 p bass and it was awful

Fair point, but dealers are the reason the vintage market has gone the way it has IMO.
They automatically attach value based simply on brand and age. Now, admittedly, an old Fender or Gibson will always be valuable but there were duds coming out of both shops back in the day too.
Not all of Fender´s products in the 70´s were of the highest quality-loads of dogs when it came to Telecasters and Precisions especially.
And a dealer would have no second thoughts on slapping a huge price tag on such an instrument these days-knowing that there is a certain romantic notion of owning an old Fender.
Now, most do it with the customer in mind, but remember, they are businesses too and may not always be too considerate when it comes to playability vs price etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='938775' date='Aug 28 2010, 02:01 PM']Its just the same as why people buy used cars from a dealer who are the stereotypical aurtur daleys but a lot of the time who else can you go to? Thats why a good friend or a trader you trust in both cases are important.[/quote]

Agreed.
If the dealer is a mate, then I´m sure they´d see you right-trust is important.
But if I had no prior dealings with a dealer or even the word of someone I trust who spoke well of them, I would avoid.
But seeing as taking a car apart to verify parts is impractical... :lol:
Still, if this 63 is the real deal, then perhaps as an investment (maybe with a view to letting it appreciate in value and moving it on) it would be a good move.
But again, more info and detailed pics or an up-close inspection by someone in the know would verify this.
I wonder if BC should send a delegation?
:)
Who should go:
Howard (Bass Doc) ?
Beedster ?

thoughts? :rolleyes:

[quote name='zero9' post='938783' date='Aug 28 2010, 02:15 PM']Hmmmm... shouldn't it have the 'stripe' down the back of the neck for the trusrod (given it's a maple board)?

Looks dodgy...[/quote]

Most Fenders in the 60's had rosewood necks, but the maple necks that were produced to order had a glued on board just like the rosewood ones. I'm guessing it was done like that to standardise the production as far as possible.

[quote name='zero9' post='938783' date='Aug 28 2010, 02:15 PM']Hmmmm... shouldn't it have the 'stripe' down the back of the neck for the trusrod (given it's a maple board)?[/quote]
'Tis a maple cap.

I'm undecided on this one. I reckon it's a refin, but as for the rest of it...

...if I lived anywhere near, I'd be beating a path to his door armed with a screwdriver (to take the bass apart, not to stab him in the eye).

I sent a couple of pm's and seemed like a genuine guy who maybe wasnt sure what he had I dont think he knew anything about pre CBS and maybe just based a start price at similar stufflate 60's and 70's etc. The one that got away maybe and it would have to be a cash on collection at that price so you would still of got a chance to turn it down on collection I suppose?