Why become a member? ×

Performance Bass - Louis Johnson Black Dragon Signature

molan

I've been putting off selling this as part of my ongoing clear out because it's such a lovely bass to play but thought I'd better put it out there to see if there's any interest as I simply have too many basses kicking around!

Built at Performance Guitar in Hollywood CA, by Yasuhiro Yokote; an amazing custom builder with a client list that reads like a who's who of LA guitar gods!

There's a really good article about Performance Guitars here [url="http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issu...nce_Guitar.aspx"]http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issu...nce_Guitar.aspx[/url]

They have been making a very limited range of basses with the most notable being the Louis Johnson Signature Black Dragon. This particular modal was a specially commissioned custom with extra elements added like the neck reverse; Tobacco Burst finish; additional Bartolini Jazz pickup on neck; John East Preamp.

Unsurprisingly, given that it's a Louis Johnson Signature, it's a complete slap monster with that big Bartolini humbucker in the bridge. Pretty rare to find a custom build take on the classic Musicman Stingray bridge humbucker design ethic.

However the addition of the extra pickup & the J East circuit (both fitted from new by Performance) takes this to a whole other level in terms of flexibility. Personally I like it with both pickups on full and a little passive tone roll off :)

It's a seriously nice bass to play and genuinely looks absolutely like new, not a single mark that I know of. The satin finish is a real head turner & every single person that's tried this has said how impressed they were with it. In fact of all the basses I've owned it's probably been the one that's been most universally praised - and that's saying quite a lot!

Specs are:
Louis Johnson Signature Black Dragon Custom Bass:
Body: US alder (2 pieces center jointed)
Neck: US maple with 1 3/4' nut (standard P bass nut width but not an overly chunky neck)
Fretboard: Indian Rosewood Frets
Frets: 21 medium gauge
Bridge: Bad Ass II Gold
Tuning: Hip Shot HB-1 Gold
Pickups: Bartolini US Humbucker Bridge/ Bartolini US single Jazz Neck
Preamp: John East UK 5 knobs Deluxe Gold
Jack: Top gold jack
Finish: Tobacco burst
Tint: Satin (Body & Neck)
Options: Elbow contour
Special Louis Johnson slap contour
Neck reverse
Weight: 8.8 Ib (4kg)

The basic Louis Johnson bass model costs $4,000 (without shipping and VAT !) and this model with the various extras would add at least $500 to that.

Comes with an equally immaculate hard case & happy to ship anywhere :rolleyes:

Edited by molan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had this back home for a few weeks and it really is a lovely bass to play but I just struggle with wider necks (even though this one really is lovely) so decided to put this back up for sale again and drop the price a little :)

Now £1,850 collected from sunny Oxfordshire :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1179939' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:03 PM']Have seen this in the flesh, and it is pure sex.[/quote]

It really is lovely in the 'real world', I especially like the matt satin finish on the body and neck, makes it feel really classy :)

Damn....the more I look at this the more I want it...that ideal pickup config, the lovely satin finish, East pre-amp and all the bling hardware..... I don't get why this hasn't been snapped up already?! Is it just because it doesn't have a <insert better known brand name here> label? If I could afford this in any way, I'd be all over it. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a deal of any sort? (not that I have a lot to offer..)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1183634' date='Mar 31 2011, 05:53 PM']Damn....the more I look at this the more I want it...that ideal pickup config, the lovely satin finish, East pre-amp and all the bling hardware..... I don't get why this hasn't been snapped up already?! Is it just because it doesn't have a <insert better known brand name here> label? If I could afford this in any way, I'd be all over it. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a deal of any sort? (not that I have a lot to offer..)[/quote]

Always up for a deal, lol.

I think you're right about the brand name stuff, I've owned a few other basses that cost more than this and sold for less and weren't as well made or as nice to play. . .

Seriously, the construction on that thing looks meticulous, impeccable and mighty fine spec to go with it; absolute stunner. If there's anything in my sig (or a combination thereof) that tickles your fancy feel free to drop me a PM. Could probably offer [i]some[/i] cash your way if needs be :)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1184172' date='Apr 1 2011, 01:19 AM']Seriously, the construction on that thing looks meticulous, impeccable and mighty fine spec to go with it; absolute stunner. If there's anything in my sig (or a combination thereof) that tickles your fancy feel free to drop me a PM. Could probably offer [i]some[/i] cash your way if needs be :)[/quote]

If only someone would buy the Clover & Kopo Lina, lol. . .

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1190900' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:41 PM']Haha yep! You know it. I'd be all over this bass![/quote]

Actually Marc (Voxpop) lives near me - could be a 3-way deal involved somewhere. . .

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1192011' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:22 PM']That is a stunning bass right there! The reverse headstock is really classy I reckon. If I had the dough, you'd be baking bread mate1

Truckstop[/quote]

+1

Does anyone need a kidney? I've got one going spare, only £1,850 - Bargain!