Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting an Orange Bass Terror

cameltoe

Hi all,

I recently purchased one of the UK built Ashdown Little Bastards. It's great! I can gig it, provided we're not too loud- which if the pub is slightly large and carpeted, and it fills up with punters we usually are. I need to run it as loud as it will go-just before break up- to keep up even at the smaller gigs, but it's been fun to use and I've got a good idea of the venues I can and can't use it at.

Along with the LB head I also bought an LB Cab, the 2x12 (4-ohm) model.

I have a few combo amps which are taking up space around the house, so I figured rather than having a bunch of combos for all different situations, maybe I should buy another, louder, head to use at the bigger gigs.

I love the look of the Orange Bass Terror, and like the idea of a small and portable head. I'm also growing fond of the sound of valves, and with the all-valve preamp in these I've read they do the Valve tone fairly well. I've also heard they are really loud!

The only criticism I've read is that they are a bit too boomy. I don't mind boom and vintage furriness- even if I found this was a problem surely a switch to ECC81 valves should do the trick?

My budget stretches only to what I could hopefully pick one of these up for second-hand. Around £375 or so.

But I've never tried one, so I'd like some advice. Also who to get a second hand one from!

Should I also be considering a Little Mark? Used ones are around the same price.

Cheers

Edited by cameltoe

Been using a Terror Bass live since before last xmas. Played various size venues from small pubs to 500+ capacity venues and some festivals with it. The sound, to my ears is great, and suitable for pretty much everything i do... see my sig :) Loud with a capital loud, fairly versatile eq, switchable from 4 to 8 ohms, light and very portable.
The only time i've found it to be too boomy is with the Orange SP210 cab on crappy wooden stages, but have just bought a Grammapad, so hopefully that will change. Also used it with a couple of Ashdown 2 x 10 cabs for an outdoor festival, and it rocked.

Nige.

Hollow wooden stages make anything boom.... isn't it called 'speaker coupling' or something? I've had it a few times, and I really notice it if I'm using slightly older strings, and I often have to faff, for ages, with the EQ to get a tight sound. A grammapad might be worth investing in as well!

cheers for info!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='936363' date='Aug 25 2010, 08:23 PM']I think some people associate a decent amount of bass with 'boom', eg those who like squeaky clean tight bass guitar tones.

The BT is one hugely powerful and awesome amp. I dont own one but I tested it. Fantastic amp, and great dirt if you want it.[/quote]

I'm going to print this and give it to my drummer..... he always complains about me being too boomy. If I make it how he likes it to sound, yes, it might be clearer on stage, but once I stand out front it sounds thin and weedy! He can't accept that. He doesn't understand that it sounds different out front.

Cheers for the info on the BT, it's sounding like the right call......

i like mine and so do the guys in the two stoner type bands I play in. I can crank it when the guitar players get out of hand and can still be heard easily. i play it through a barefaced compact. the only bad thing is trying not to be smug as everyone struggles with their heavy gear, or gear that doesnt just... work. :rolleyes: soundwise it doesnt have the fuzz i associate with 'gain' (thankfully), but a big muff can give me all the fuzz i might need. I generally go 'clean' in the two guitar band and a little fuzzier in the one guitar band. i go on bass full, mids middle and treble a touch off full. suits me. recorded an impromptu demo at our rehearsal place and had to mic the cab up as apparently the output was too loud for the guy's desk! :) (dont quite understand how that can be, but there y'go)

[quote name='sk8' post='936711' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:04 AM']Could you Di the LB into the PA for a touch more sound reinforcement? Could be an option. I find the LB great for church and practice but take the Hiwatt for any gigs[/quote]

Yeah, but the thing is we don't have subs or any of that nonsense. Just 15" passive peavey speakers. If we had a proper rig, then yeah I could DI it whenever. I'm totally self-sufficient, unless we're playing bigger gigs with hired-in PA systems. I DI'ed the other week for a recording and it sounded amazing!

Got bad gas for one of these now. Must hold off buying one new! There were a few knocking about for sale a couple months back when I didn't want one. :)

One man's "boom" is another man's "fatness". You can get rid the boom with a simple roll off of the bass eq. But yes, they're pretty fat for a hybrid amp. If you a/b it with an AD200B you may, or in this case, i noticed the AD to be naturally thicker and more organic, but the Terror does a very good job. To me its sounds vintage, warm and fat and comes in a nice little easy to transport package.