Why become a member? ×

Loose volume pot on my Alembic

Clarky

The volume pot on my Spoiler turns very freely as there is little friction or 'grab'. Generally this is not a problem as I have the volume on full (ie, pot turned to maximum) and if I need to cut the volume completely, there is a standby (pickup disengage) selector switch. Occasionally though I do knock the pot while playing and it shifts the volume down all too easily, meaning that I have to scrabble quickly to turn the pot to max again.

I have no knowledge of the workings of pots so could anyone tell me if there is an easy fix for this or whether I need a replacement knob-shaft (oo err missus, Frankie Howerd time again) or similar?

Thanks in advance folks

Edited by Clarky

Alembic pots are very high quality, and not the type you can easily buy. On my Epic the volume turns more freely than the others, but I don't find it a problem. I'd suggest calling Alembic and ordering a replacement - they are hit and miss on email. It will cost a bit, but should be a push fit rather than soldering. If it isn't noisy or erratic I'd be tempted to live with it a bit longer....

[quote name='BassBod' post='926821' date='Aug 16 2010, 07:41 PM']Alembic pots are very high quality, and not the type you can easily buy. On my Epic the volume turns more freely than the others, but I don't find it a problem. I'd suggest calling Alembic and ordering a replacement - they are hit and miss on email. It will cost a bit, but should be a push fit rather than soldering. If it isn't noisy or erratic I'd be tempted to live with it a bit longer....[/quote]
Thanks BassBod, I will drop them an email. Would prefer a fix rather than spending on a whole new pot if poss, so I will see how much they want

Sit down when you open their reply! They can be very pricey...but the pots do last a very long time. I forgot to say they are also normally sealed so can't really be cleaned as such. They usually only need replacing when the carbon track starts to break down. Before you buy anything ask them specifically about the feel - a new one may be the same.

[quote name='Clarky' post='926852' date='Aug 16 2010, 08:11 PM']Thanks again. As an opener I have put up a message in the 'Troubleshooting' section in the Alembic Club ...which will almost certainly be read by the Alembic factory-based mods. Fingers crossed[/quote]
That Alembic forum has some real pro guys who know everything about their favourite basses.

I met a couple of them for dinner one night when I was last in the States.

Happy to ask their specific opinions if you don't get much joy from your post :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='926852' date='Aug 16 2010, 08:11 PM']Thanks again. As an opener I have put up a message in the 'Troubleshooting' section in the Alembic Club ...which will almost certainly be read by the Alembic factory-based mods. Fingers crossed[/quote]

Just give Mica or Mary a call, they don't respond to email much, but you'd get a quicker response by calling and getting a replacement ordered via phone.

I have half solved the problem by taking the knob off (its held in by two grub screws) and then screwing it it in more tightly and slightly off true, so that the edge grips on the surface of the bass as it turns. It doesn't spin anything like as freely as it did before, so its definitely more gig-friendly, although its still not perfect like the other knob. It will probably have to do if the alternative, as others have suggested, is an expensive brand new pot.