Why become a member? ×

What should I do with my spare bass?

amj

Some years ago I bought a Jazz bass, consigning my old Bass Collection SB301 to the loft. It's still sitting up there stringless, and I thought it would be good to make little project of some description...but what should I do with it? The only things I can think of at the moment are to either de-fret it, or to maybe string it BEAD or ADGC perhaps (would need a new nut probably and would it need the bridge saddles filing?) but does anyone else have any other fun/clever ideas?

[quote name='amj' post='926296' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:40 AM']Some years ago I bought a Jazz bass, consigning my old Bass Collection SB301 to the loft. It's still sitting up there stringless, and I thought it would be good to make little project of some description...but what should I do with it? The only things I can think of at the moment are to either de-fret it, or to maybe string it BEAD or ADGC perhaps (would need a new nut probably and would it need the bridge saddles filing?) but does anyone else have any other fun/clever ideas?[/quote]
Hmmm, depends on if you gig regularly. If you do, in yr position I would get it re-strung as soon as possible, and take it to every gig with me as a backup. I`ve been lucky so far, and never needed my backup, but you never know what could happen - string breaking/electrics quitting/accidental damage by clumsy band members. Its better to have it, and never need it, than the other way.

I only have five basses at the mo. (I know - raucous American) - but none of them do I consider as 'spare' basses.

They all work for their home and hearth and they each get to be front liners at least once a month.

Incidentally I take at least three basses with me to jams or gigs. They make nice eye-candy if they don't all get played that venue/that time - but they are usually rotated during a gig if any of their brethren go south on me.

So far I haven't killed a bass.

First thing I'd suggest is get it out of the loft - the extreme changes in temperature from winter to summer might not be doing it much good..... especially if it's unstrung and the truss rod is tensioned up.

It's probably OK but it might need a little while for the neck to settle down.

For something a bit different you could string it with flatwounds and try a thumpy kind of sound, depends what kind of music you play.

Thanks for the reply everyone, some great ideas in there.

With regards to the ADGC, do you think it's likely that I'll need a new nut or will the tension in the string be enough to keep the string in a gap that's wider than it's meant to be? I'm kind of liking this idea because it'll require the least amount of modifications and I cam easily change to something else. Once I de-fret, that's it!

Incidentally, how is defretting likely to sound on a cheap bass? I've replaced one of the pickups with some SDs so it had a reasonable sound, but if it'll be so far off a reasonable fretless sound, it might not be worth it?

With regards to gigging, at the moment I'm a bedroom player between bands so keeping a spare isn't so much of an issue really. It's a very good point to raise though, definitiely one I'd consider if I was gigging with any kind of regularity!

[quote name='amj' post='926296' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:40 AM']Some years ago I bought a Jazz bass, consigning my old Bass Collection SB301 to the loft. [b]It's still sitting up there stringless[/b], and I thought it would be good to make little project of some description...but what should I do with it? The only things I can think of at the moment are to either de-fret it, or to maybe string it BEAD or ADGC perhaps (would need a new nut probably and would it need the bridge saddles filing?) but does anyone else have any other fun/clever ideas?[/quote]
I hope you slackened off the trussrod?!

[quote name='amj' post='928849' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:49 PM']Nope :)

I dread to think what condition the neck's in now![/quote]

It'll probably be OK, fish it out and string it up and give the neck time to settle itself before doing anything drastic like taking the frets out.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928854' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:52 PM']It'll probably be OK, fish it out and string it up and give the neck time to settle itself before doing anything drastic like taking the frets out.[/quote]
Let's hope so. Depends on a few things, materials, length of time, conditions, but stressing the neck in one direction without a counterforce could put it at risk of warping.